Is Component Video worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ron240, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi,
    I have a Toshiba SD-210E DVD player linked up to a Toshiba 32ZD09B television via an Ixos 150 scart-scart cable. As the tv has a built-in Dolby Digital decoder i have an Ixos 105 taking care of the sound.
    I have absolutely no complaints about the picture quality but i have read that Component Video gives the best picture quality possible.I have also read that you have to have a dedicated cable(Y,PB,PR)as ordinary phono type cables will not do.
    The price of these dedicated cables(in the UK)varies quite considerably,from around £40 up to £200 for the Nordost Optix. Obviously spending £200 on my setup would be silly but i would consider spending up to £70.
    But what i want to know is,IS IT WORTH IT? Can there really be a noticeable difference using Component over a good quality RGB scart?

I suppose the only true way to tell is to try the different cables for myself,from a shop on a loan basis.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Ronnie. :confused:

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the normal version of 5th element and the superbit version and compared them side by side.

I used the same s-video cable spec for both dvd players and still framed a particular image and then flicked between sources.

I couldn't tell the difference.

I then replaced one of the S-Video cables with a component connection and the difference was noticable.

I used cheap and cheerfull phono-phono cables with barrel connecters to "build" a component cable. I assume a "proper" cable would improve the quality further; in theory.

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Thanks for the reply Graham.
    Now,just to complicate things a little further. I noticed that you said you were watching a Superbit disc,well i have also heard that Component connections provide a more noticeable improvement when viewing Region 1 discs.
    Speaking of the Superbit discs,i have been keen to get one but the range is very limited at present,there isn't anything that i want to buy.Hope they expand it soon.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you want to spend £200 on component cables that is upto you, HOWEVER to get performance buy some 75 ohm (important) coax (RG 59 / RG 6) and put your plugs on. Maplin will knock out three for £15 ready done . Keene and the other similar firm (whoose name eludes me currently) will knock up custom good quality ones for an affordable price. It is all you need. It will not cost a fortune and will look much better. To be honest you will not get much better despite what people will want to sell you. Ever wonder why the BBC uses this stuff?

Hey my local computer fair has a dealer selling the correct video leads, £1.50 each for 1.2m and sizes all the way upto 10m.

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I doubt you would notice much difference between RGB and component connections, but as Nic says you might as well give it a try. Reasonable quality leads arn't that expensive and its worth a go just to see for yourself. You also lose the benefit of scart switching as well which, although not of great importance is still handy.

When I bought my first projector I compared the two, as both were available. I settled on RGB because it seemed to me slightly better. Having said that, I can't see any improvement with superbit DVDs (only seen 5th Element) over the original, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

Try for yourself and post your findings.

Regards Rob.

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Thanks,i will consider all these options.One thing's for sure though,i will not be able to sleep soundly at night until i have tried Component Video:D
    I knew that i would lose the automatic switching,which will be a minor pain to me,but hopefully it will be worth it.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    This "rumour" almost certainly comes from the fact that (with few exceptions) progressive scan is only available when playing NTSC (ie mainly R1) discs. Progressive scan is only delivered via component connections, from suitably equipped DVD players (like the Pioneer 737 and others), and only of use where the TV, projector, etc., will handle it. Progressive is MUCH better than interlaced.

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily. DVD format supports line 21 and line 23 WSS (NTSC and PAL).

If your tv supports these, then you will still get auto widescreen switching. Some sets will only support line 23 WSS though.

9. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Thanks Doubledoom,you are right and my tv does support WSS,but you misunderstood slightly.What i will lose by using component connections is the automatic switching to the AV channel when i switch on my DVD player,which is usually handled by i think pin 8 or 9 of the scart. Not a major problem i agree,but i've been used to this handy little feature for a long time.