1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is component to vga possible?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iandavidcassidy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. iandavidcassidy

iandavidcassidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wish to connect my denon dvd player to my new panny 6 plasma.

i read somewhere that all i need is a component - vga cable. is this correct? or do i need a convertor box in the middle?

does my dvd player need to output progressive scan for this to work?

thanks in advance these are great forums!

2. iandavidcassidy

iandavidcassidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wicked thanks.

so to clear this up my panny accepts YUV component and RGB component. does has anyone tryed this. is it allmost the best picture quality?

anyone know a good shop to get the lead from?

cheers

3. iandavidcassidy

iandavidcassidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yes and does my dvd need to be progressive or will interlaced do?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    iandavidcassidy

The HD15 (VGA) socket on your Series 6 Display will work with RGBHV or YUV with PC and Video signals.

You can send the HD15 Input Progressive or Interlaced YUV video - the Display will Deinterlace any Interlaced signals you send it as its inherently a Progressive Display.

The Display also has a 'Cinema' mode that will try to recognise if the incoming YUV Interlaced signal was originated on Film or Video (before being transferred to DVD) and process it accordingly.

If you have a Source (DVD player) with Interlaced and Progressive YUV out you then have the option to switch between these two modes in the DVD player and see if the DVD player is better at Deinterlacing and Film detection than the Plasma's in built processing.

As for cable suppliers then I'm biased as we stock and supply a range of video and audio cables that includes 3RCA to HD15 video cables in various cable lengths.

Best regards

Joe

PS Connecting YUV to the HD15 Input on the Panasonic displays is a daily event - its how we configure most systems we supply these days.

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I got my YUV=>HD15 cable from Joe. It was quite pricey (the cable, not Joe ;)) but is a really good quality BetterCables one...Joe and the cable, very recommended! :smashin:

JJ

6. iandavidcassidy

iandavidcassidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great thanks... i was going to buy the hitachi5100 for ease of connections but a dvd running on a panny 6 via scart blew me away whilst the 5100 looked very poor. so the YUV should be great.

can't find prices on your site - how much is the Silver Serpent Sepcord - HD15 to 3RCA*

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Give Joe a call, mine was about £100 for a 2m one. You can get them cheaper, but the BetterCables ones are very good...

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So would running a component-vga cable from my Sony 930 to the Hitachi 5300 work OK? Is PQ significantly better thru the VGA port than the component?

9. db7000s

db7000s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I hook up my DVD to the VGA input of my Philips 42PF9965 Plasma via component cables ?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hitachi possibly, check in the setup menu that you can choose between RGB and YUV/component. Philips, I doubt very much.

11. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, the Hitachi 5000 series VGA port can be switched between RGB & component. If component, then it can be set to auto,HDTV,SDTV/DVD. Unfortunately of course, the only way of testing PQ is to buy a component-vga cable which aren't cheap. Has anyone with this series done that already?

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Blue Ray

Just to be clear the use of the HD15 (VGA) port for YUV on the Panasonic Displays is something we (collectively) take advantage of as it means you don't have to spend extra cash on input boards for the display and can simplify system switching via an AV Receiver or external switch.

If your Display already has a set of YUV inputs I doubt moving your DVD players YUV output over to the HD15 socket is going to give you any visual improvements over using the 3RCA 2 3RCA connectors your already using.

If you want a PQ improvement possibly a new 3RCA to 3RCA YUV cable is a better option!!!

Best regards

Joe

13. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Joe, so the VGA is basically used for convenience rather than improved PQ. I'm checking out QED or Ixos (804). Is one particularly better than the other, or is it down to colour preference between yellow & purple!

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Blu Ray

Have a look at the BetterCables cables we import to the UK - see http://www.bettercables.com

I supply these along with the QED products you mention and for me the BetterCables Silver Serpent YUV are a better option.

Best regards

Joe

15. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oh bah, I ordered the Ixos 804s from TVCables now already this morning. Hopefully, they're OK :) Thanks anyways.

16. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    Joe can you post a direct link to this silver serpent cable please.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
  18. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    So that silver serpent reference cable, for $199.95 is component to vga ?

Sorry about this I am not that hot on cabling

19. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No, the silver serpent cables mentioned above are component to component, altho they do do VGA - component ones too.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Russell

Its pretty easy to get confused by the terminology:

VGA - is a description of one of the many video resolutions output by a PC graphics card (in this case 640x480).

VGA - also gets used to describe the 15 Pin D shaped connector you use to connect a PC monitors video cable to the video socket on a PC graphics card.

HD15 - is another way to describe that same socket; hopefully avoiding associating the type of socket with any particular video signal type.

Component video - is any video signal that is split into more than one 'component' of the video signal (brightness, colour, sync); S-Video, RGB and YUV are all types of Component video.

Component video - in the Home Theatre world tends to get used to describe YUV video (especially when referring to Progressive scan devices) and not for describing RGB or S-Video signals..

Multicore video cable - most of the big cable companies will manufacture cables to transmit RGB and YUV Component video using three connector types; RCA (Phono), BNC and HD15.

If you have a source that Outputs YUV on three RCA sockets and a display that Inputs YUV via an HD15 socket you require a 3RCA to HD15 cable (its a non directional cable so works equally as well if its HD15 on the Output to 3RCA on the Input).

The cable manufacturers we work with supply YUV cables in the following formats
    :
    3RCA to 3RCA
    3RCA to 3BNC
    3BNC to 3BNC
    3RCA to HD15
    3BNC to HD15

We can accommodate most connectivity options.

Drop me a note and I'll confirm which cable you require.

Best regards

Joe

21. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about buying a panny th42pe30 because it has basically everything that i needed apart from 720p support but i was worried that I would have to shell out extra for a AV reciever so that i could use my xbox through component and dvd player with component also but now I think I'm going to buy a panny TH-42PWD6 which would work out the same after buying speaker attachment and tuner box but i would have more options to upgrade with the optional video boards etc...

so could I hook up a dvd player to the 42pwd6 vga port for progressive scan and the xbox hooked up to the component in video card that I would have to buy separately for progressive scan?

cheers :)

England 3 Portugal 1 :smashin: :clap:

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Before you hop with joy too much.... If you have the tuner connected, it diables all other inputs:mad: . Therefore, and much to your financial benefit, don't you dare buy a panasonic tuner. Get a tasty freeview box with the features you want, more choice than can be dismissed in a line or 2, all better than P. tuner. Pace twin HDD? Netgem iplayer? Lots of good stuff there. Get a AV reciever with the change, a nice Yam 540 perhaps, and you will have the basis of a stonking HC setup, and not an analogue tuner in sight.

23. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol im confused now (easy to get me confused)

what would i need if i wanted to play both dvd player and xbox in progressive scan mode without having to go round the back of tv swap connectors over?

I've got about 3k to play with for tv and extras but i dont want to buy a amp as sound isnt that important to me :rolleyes:

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PM me for a no obligation type chat if you like, I suggest with your budget an amp is a good way to go, but absolutely not the only way. You can buy several video cards and do it that way if it's better for you. Using component switching and getting some sound at the same time just seems like a good idea rather than £250 for crappy speakers and 500 for an awful tuner. But 3 component inputs are possible, in fact 4 thinking about it...

25. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not biased as I don't sell Bettercables products. I do however use one of them, and they are every bit as good as Joe says!

I have looked at other cables, and had feedback from customers of unbranded vs very well know brands. You'd be surprised at the results. That said, the Bettercables are absoultely superb.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.