1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is component like 3 standard phono's!?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by condyk, Dec 16, 2004.

1. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a new TOSHIBA 42WT29 RPTV arriving Friday and it has a component input which I want to use for DVD, leaving the RGB Scart for Humax 8000T Freeview PVR. I don't have a good quality component cable kickin' around BUT I have two very good quality hi-fi twin phono to phono leads, all same brand/model. Can I use three of these as a component lead? Maybe a dumb question, but if you never ask ... if not, then what's the difference and also any recommendations for component leads up to 30 quid or so?

Thanks

Dave

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There will be few people who disagree with this.tvcables.co.uk.2m component leads gold connectors metal bodies.£12.The argument rages on whether to spend more than this on leads but i am very happy with mine.

3. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ok, thanks ... thumbsup:

... but is a single component lead basically wired/terminated like a single phono, ie is a component lead is just 3 phono's joined together? :

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    yes

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They look the same but I think the connectors on video and audio are supposed to be different impedances. Something to do with the huge frequency difference between audio (in kHz) and video (in MHz) means the connectors should be 75 ohm rather than 50.

It'll probably still work but I'm guessing you may be more susceptible to interference with an audio cable. Have a look at Profigold component cable from www.cpc.co.uk - pretty cheap. Or if you need them right now look for the JVC cables in (dare I say it!) Dixons...they're not very expensive and are decent cables if you need one in a hurry.

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct.

Though ordinary phono leads will work they will degrade the signal to a degree. Also progressive scan is more problematic with normal phono leads. Over distance the audio grade phonos cause larger signal degredation on video signal. This is why it is better to purchase proper video leads. Or better still, purchase enough 75 Ohm co-ax to do 3 lengths, get 3 pairs of decent phono plugs and make them yourself - they will be equally as good if not better than most leads costing many times more!