Is COMETS price match legal?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by iantib, Aug 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. iantib

iantib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I do hope I havent embarrased myself by this question, but I thought you guys would know the answer.
    I HAVE to buy a TV from COMET (My insurance copmany uses them & my old TV was hit by lightening :mad: )
    They have given me £1374 for a new TV but the TV I want @ COMET is £1519 + £124 for the stand.

I have seen that Digital Direct are selling it for £1348.

COMET say they will only price match against CURRYS, John Lewis & Argos (who dont sell the TV) & a few other companies that dont sell TV's.

Funnilly enough the TV costs exactly the same @ CURRYS (Dont COMET own CURRYS?) John Lewis is loads more (over 1800), but hey give a 5 year guarantee. Either way its out of my price range.

Are companys allowed to pick and choose who they price match against in this way?

the man at COMET told me that cheaper companies couldnt match heir excellent after sales service :spam: but I havent heard anyone have a good word to say about their after sales service, plus they also charge an extra £300 for a 3 year guarantee (I think you get 1 year for free so its really £300 for 2 years)

Thanks for all yor help.

p.s. Do you think that the price of the 42wlt66 will go down once tosh release the new ones next month? Is it worth waiting to see what the 100mhz is like?

2. tonton

tonton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think it'll be illegal but that's very annoying. Currys are part of the Dixons group and nothing to do with Comet. Currys pricematched empire direct now that they are a major high street store. How much do empire do the tele for? Perhaps Comet will match them?

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Companies are under no obligation to pricematch with anyone.

4. iantib

iantib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At Empire its £1498. I forgot to say the instore price at COMET is £1899 but on their internet site its £1519. The stand is also cheaper online.

The man in the COMET shop said he wasnt allowed to price match their own web site. He mentioned overheads. But in the same breath he said that I would be better buying from him in store because he said I would get better after sales service as opposed to their web site.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Why can't you buy from their website. How is your insurance tying you in to buying from that particular store?

6. Blacksheep1979

Blacksheep1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The insurance company will be getting a discount. If you have actual vouchers or a card with the cash on that anyone can use you may be better off selling the card on ebay or the likes getting 97% or so of the value of it and buying the tv wherever you like.

I'd maybe have a word with your insurance company as if it doesn't specifically state that you have to buy from a certain store then you should ask for the money

7. jendo

jendo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    This issue of insurance companies forcing claimants to purchase from a particular store has come up before and i wounder if someone in the insurance game can explain the situation as to whether they can force these vouchers onto customers, particular if it is not mentioned in the policy.

8. Blacksheep1979

Blacksheep1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What they normally say is £1k if you want cash or £1300 if you want but only at xxx store and they get the vouchers at a discount from the store so it costs them no more

9. biglee

biglee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the high street store pick and choose who they will price match with. Its just a way of getting people in through the door. Even if they do price match they will do their level best to force their very expensive extended warranties down your neck.

No wonder the big stores are having trouble at the moment. My local Curry's superstore has just closed to make way for a Tesco, says a lot in my opinion.

10. rayferry

rayferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I got my local Comet to price match there web site on a washing machine, all I did was print off the web page and took it into the store and they matched the price without question.
    Hope this helps.

11. Billo

Billo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I would not let the store know that it is vouchers you are paying with as they know that you are not going anywhere else. Try another branch and tell them you have cash(only a little fib) and can take the TV righ there and then.

12. Monk888

Monk888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    When my previous TV was stolen, house burgled, Direct line let me choose from which supplier I could buy the TV, and they purchased on my behalf from John Lewis.

I think it's worth checking these details when renewing your house contents insurance.

13. tomandjo2

tomandjo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is it not worth coughing up the difference yourself?

Tom

14. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Good idea :smashin: