is Coax & TOSLink the only way?

Evokazz

I have everything hooked up correctly from my AVR to my TV and all is well, my sound from my actual TV (apps etc) comes from my TOSLink connection to my AVR, other than ARC is there any other way to get sound via HDMI connection? Or are Coax and TOSLink the only way?

dante01

Distinguished Member
TV's do not include HDMI outputs so ARC is the only way to convey audio from a TV to an external AVR or soundbar via HDMI. The only other digital audio outputs included on TV's are S/PDIF optical or coax. S/PDIF would be less capable than HDMI ARC though and cannot convey formats such as DD+ or Atmos metadta. The abilities associated with Enhanced ARC are on par with what you'd expect in relation to conventional HDMI and can convey the same audio as you'd expect from conventional ARC. Standard ARC cannot however convey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audi or Dolby TRueHD and PCM data is limited to just 2 channels.

ARC and S/PDIF optical or coax are the only means by which to convey digital audio from a TV.

Evokazz

TV's do not include HDMI outputs so ARC is the only way to convey audio from a TV to an external AVR or soundbar via HDMI. The only other digital audio outputs included on TV's are S/PDIF optical or coax. S/PDIF would be less capable than HDMI ARC though and cannot convey formats such as DD+ or Atmos metadta. The abilities associated with Enhanced ARC are on par with what you'd expect in relation to conventional HDMI and can convey the same audio as you'd expect from conventional ARC. Standard ARC cannot however convey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audi or Dolby TRueHD and PCM data is limited to just 2 channels.

ARC and S/PDIF optical or coax are the only means by which to convey digital audio from a TV.
Is ARC much better than Optical then? Quality wise, and is there any known issues with it?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Quality would be the same, the difference is the formats that can be conveyed. S/PDIF nor ARC can cnvey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master audio or Dolby TrueHD. S/PDIF is also limited to 5.1 and cannot convey Dolby Digital Plus. Both ARC and S/PDIF are limited to just 2 channels of PCM data. ARC like S/PDIF cannot convey the HD formats, but can convey DD+

If using either ARC or S/PDIF to convey SD formats such as DTS, DD 5.1 audio or 2 channel PCM then the quality would be the exact same quality. Both would be conveying the exact same digital data.

eARC (Enhanced ARC) can convey the same formats associated with conventional HDMI including the HD formatas and multichannel PCM. Both devices have to be eARC compliant and anabled though in order to benefit from this.

The downside to using ARC is more often than not associated with its dependance upon HDMI CEC. This can give rise to some issues between different devices and how those devices implement HDMI CEC. eARC doesn't rely upon HDMI CEC for its functionality.

The main benefit associated with using ARC over S.PDIF is ARC's ability to convey DD+. DD+ is used by most streaming services and is also used to package Atmos metadata on some of those services such as Netflix. If wanting to access Atmos via Netflix accessed via a TV then you'd have to use ARC to gain access to the DD+ audio and the Atmos metadata.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Is ARC much better than Optical then? Quality wise, and is there any known issues with it?
ARC is capable of passing Dolby Digital Plus, which in turn will allow Dolby Atmos to be portrayed. SkyQ boxes are an example and have a number of programmes in UHD that also have an Atmos soundtrack. Optical is restricted to Dolby Digital 5.1. Dolby Digital Plus is superior, therefore ARC is the superior connection.

Evokazz

The 2 devices would be Denon AVRW2200W, and Samsung KS8000, will have to check if they have eARC, HDMI CEC is disabled on all other devices.