Is buying an avr in UK near impossible right now?

blofse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently I bought a denon x2700 avr and I've been pretty unhappy with it since I bought it as I keep finding a few issues which as whole is driving me nuts. The retailer I bought from is aware and they are ordering in a yamaha v6a so I can do a home comparison between the two, sending back the one I don't like. Also they want me to compare mine with another denon just incase its a faulty product.

However, they have been waiting weeks for either stock, with seemingly no stock date in sight. I've been looking on other websites for these and every stockist appears to be out of stock at the moment.

Is anyone aware of any stock anywhere in the UK for either of these two models?

Are we now seeing the true brexit effect and therefore importing anything is going to become very hard and expensive? If that is true, we should be seeing this across all models of avr's right now.
Either that or sound united preparing to replace the boards in these models and we therefore have to wait until that production run is released.
Either which way, it looks like I'll have to wait - which is very annoying!

We are seeing the effects of a world wide chip shortage and Covid-19 impact so it's not just here
Well with these two factors in addition to brexit and the new import regs coming into effect this month and the end of the year, looks like we are going to be out of products for a good while. This means mega inflation is on the cards because
of a lack of stock. I'm just hoping this isn't true and trying to ask the forum here for some assurance...

Well with these two factors in addition to brexit and the new import regs coming into effect this month and the end of the year, looks like we are going to be out of products for a good while. This means mega inflation is on the cards because
of a lack of stock. I'm just hoping this isn't true and trying to ask the forum here for some assurance...
It is what it is unfortunately. The chip shortage is certainly causing problems, even some new car models are taking an age because of that shortage. I would blame Covid and that infamous fire at the AKM factory in Japan. There is also a shortage of shipping containers adding to the problem, certainly from China.

I doubt very much that the UK (or most of Europe) are in for mega inflation due to lack of stock. There are so many supply issues across so many sectors of the economy (and again, not just the UK). I'm also sceptical that Brexit is will have a particularly large impact on the UK, but a lot of the worl has ongoing COVID issues. I've been lucky (?) or unlucky enough to have been out of the work/job market for most of last year, but where I am right now - in "standard" retail, there are not only variable supply issues, but also staffing issues.

Apparently a government minister put the suggestion forward that some people may not be wanting/in a hurry to return to work after being furloughed. It may have seemed like a heartless suggestion, but having not worked (and furloughed from late March 2020 until July 2020), and unpaid not-working until end of January this year, there were times last year where I had lost all interest in going back to work.

It's not a good time to buy why inventory is short.

Most receivers are imported from countries other than EU so there should be no change to import requirements.

Issues are:
  • Shipping is a lot more restricted, passenger airlines used to move a lot of freight, however due to Covid, this is is now competing for space on the sea which is limited. Only so many ships and containers to go around.
  • Demand has increased, through lock down more people are investing in home theatre as entertainment. There are a lot of people who would usually be eating out, taking holidays stuck at home. That cash gets diverted to home improvement including bringing the 'cinema' home.
  • Chips are in short supply, DAC's etc. I read that Denon had to change the DAC in a number of models.
  • We're also at the time when new model AV receivers tend to launch so if demand was under estimated, we could be running short.
  • Right now, Sony and Onkyo are our of the market which increase demand on other brands.

There is some risk of opportunistic short term inflation, but it's likely to settle out once there is stock sitting on shelves again.

Sad but true. The history books will come to show that 2021 was indeed the year of "the great AVR famine" (and 8K bug).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom