Is buying a Sony XH95 the coming month a good idea?

MrsRubberducky

Novice Member
Reaction score
I read that the optimal time to purchase a TV has passed. I'm moving next month, and I'm in the market for a new television.

In Belgium / Netherlands we can now get a refurbished Sony XH95 65" for ~1100 eur, and a brand new one for ~1299 eur.

It seems smart to not buy a 2021 model, that's why I'm looking at the XH95.

Are these prices okay for a TV like this? And is this tv still a good buy at this moment in time?

This is at the top of my budget and my room won't be pitch black, so going OLED is probably not the best idea.

Tv is for watching movies / series in 4K HDR and getting the "cinematic" experience. Maybe some very light casual gaming, but I don't care about HDMI 2.1 or other gaming features. The internal speakers will also not be used.

Last edited:
I read that the optimal time to purchase a TV has passed. I'm moving next month, and I'm in the market for a new television.

In Belgium / Netherlands we can now get a refurbished Sony XH95 65" for ~1100 eur, and a brand new one for ~1299 eur.

It seems smart to not buy a 2021 model, that's why I'm looking at the XH95.

Are these prices okay for a TV like this? And is this tv still a good buy at this moment in time?

This is at the top of my budget and my room won't be pitch black, so going OLED is probably not the best idea.

Tv is for watching movies / series in 4K HDR and getting the "cinematic" experience. Maybe some very light casual gaming, but I don't care about HDMI 2.1 or other gaming features. The internal speakers will also not be used.

I think ~€1100 was as low as the prices have been for a new one. I think you can get a better deal than €1299 at a couple of the stores when you email or call them for a better price and mention the 'tweakers forum'. €1099 for the open box/refurbished (or not) also seems worth a try but I would explore option 1 first (kamera express, platte tv and smitsarnhem)

I think ~€1100 was as low as the prices have been for a new one. I think you can get a better deal than €1299 at a couple of the stores when you email or call them for a better price and mention the 'tweakers forum'. €1099 for the open box/refurbished (or not) also seems worth a try but I would explore option 1 first (kamera express, platte tv and smitsarnhem)
Thanks, valuable information! Is there any way of knowing / guessing whether I need to be buying it the coming weeks, to ensure they don't go out of stock. Or does stock typically last way longer?

Definitely on the right track. I don't think 1300 EUR is bad at all. The TV is 1200 GBP at the moment in the UK. Not sure the 200 saving is worth it for a refurb, especially as desinho says above if you can get a shop to give even further discount on a new model.

What are local 65" prices like on OLED models like the Philips 65OLED705 or Panasonic HZ980 (may be HZW980 local?) or LG BX.

What are local 65" prices like on OLED models like the Philips 65OLED705 or Panasonic HZ980 (may be HZW980 local?) or LG BX.
Thanks for the information already.

The 65OLED705 goes for ~1400 eur, the Panasonic for ~1800 eur and the LG BX for ~1500 eur.

Would all of these be a big upgrade over the XH95? The > 1000 eur price for the XH95 is already kind of stretching it for me, so it would really need to be worth it for me to move to the 1400 eur and up models.

The OLED705 I'd take over the XH9505 personally, but you should consider the display tech used (OLED vs LCD) to your own preferences and viewing conditions.

For example, if you want to use the TV for dark room movie nights the Philips OLED is going to be by far the better option.

I can't find much information or reviews on the OLED705 it seems. It would be less bright than the Sony I guess? If the room will not always be dark, but mostly semi lit, I understood that going LCD was the better option.

If I can get the XH95 for 1100 eur, it's still a 20+% difference in price to 1400 eur.

Last edited:
OLED is usually fine for bright rooms, but an LCD looses its disadvantage of light control when its brighter.

The OLED705 was a late release 2020 model, its the same spec as their 8 series (OLED805/OLED855) sold last year.

Get a Sony XH9505 at best price asap before stocks run out. Amazing TV. Not sure how such things are in Belgium but in UK this TV comes with 5 year Sony warranty from any retailer.

Last edited:
OLED is usually fine for bright rooms, but an LCD looses its disadvantage of light control when its brighter.

The OLED705 was a late release 2020 model, its the same spec as their 8 series (OLED805/OLED855) sold last year.
Er Dodge not sure what you are saying here. OLED'S HDR brightness is not adequate for bright rooms. Best LCD's can deliver nearly twice the level of brightness??

Er Dodge not sure what you are saying here. OLED'S HDR brightness is not adequate for bright rooms. Best LCD's can deliver nearly twice the level of brightness??
Most people over-estimate how bright their room is, and underestimate how bright OLED can be.

Gotta remember these TVs can still get to around 500-750 nits brightness when most TVs of the past, including LCD TVs were dimmer. OLEDs also deal with reflections very well.

Yeah there may be some specific scenarios they are too dim, but really for most people its not an issue.

Thanks, valuable information! Is there any way of knowing / guessing whether I need to be buying it the coming weeks, to ensure they don't go out of stock. Or does stock typically last way longer?
I wouldn't expect them to fly of the shelves at €1300 but if there is some kind of promo/sale coming up in the next few weeks there certainly won't be any new stock coming in.

Get a Sony XH9505 at best price asap before stocks run out. Amazing TV. Not sure how such things are in Belgium but in UK this TV comes with 5 year Sony warranty from any retailer.
No extended warranties available anymore :mad: (of course you wouldn't really need to have any with the consumer protection laws available already that extend well beyond the two years = normal life expectancy duration. But of course the stores generally try to brush you off after two years and having 5-year factory warranty is much easier)

wouldn't expect them to fly of the shelves at €1300 but if there is some kind of promo/sale coming up in the next few weeks there certainly won't be any new stock coming in.
The price at Platte TV dropped to 1188 eur. I also mailed them for a discount, so I'm waiting on that. So maybe it's indeed time to bite the bullet on the purchase.

I hate to thread hi-jack, but my question is basically the same. Is now a good time to buy a 49" at £850?

It has been cheaper than that, but stocks will be running low. Buy from John Lewis and you can request a retrospective match within 28 days if they or an accepted competitor bring the price down. The Sony refurb centre have for sub £600 but only a year warranty unless you pay to extend

They do have one for £579 at the moment actually. Is that a safe buy?
It has a year warranty, still covered by distance selling if not happy. You can add 5 year warranty for under £100 I think (negotiate with store selling).

I have one and it’s a very good Tv but I got a very good deal with soundbar and family work discount at around £700. I don’t think I’d pay £849 given the price has been lower in recent weeks, but it’s a risk waiting for price drops.

It has a year warranty, still covered by distance selling if not happy. You can add 5 year warranty for under £100 I think (negotiate with store selling).

I have one and it’s a very good Tv but I got a very good deal with soundbar and family work discount at around £700. I don’t think I’d pay £849 given the price has been lower in recent weeks, but it’s a risk waiting for price drops.
Well, I've bought it. Even with the warranty it's significantly cheaper than the £850 I nearly spent! Thanks for the tip :)

Hope it’s a good one. Don’t think you have to add warranty yet but can do so in the first year

I went ahead and bought it for 1099eur from Platte TV, and added another year of warranty for 50eur. Excited to check it out!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom