Is BT Infinity/Fibre ACTUALLY available to me?

TheProperJayC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to ascertain whether I can actually get fibre to my house. Let me explain my confusion...

Moved to a new house last June, Fibre wasn't available then when searching around. So went with Sky for the cheap phone rental/free installation deal.
Ran a few speed estimates on standard ADSL and it was around 2mb :eek:, anyway I actually only receive 0.6mb! :rolleyes:

If you want a good laugh, check out my impressive stats:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 654 kbps 409 kbps
Line Attenuation 80.0 dB 48.7 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 7.5 dB

Anyway, fast forward 11 months and I'm now reassessing my options of fibre availability. I've checked my exchange and it tells me;

vUWyVh0.jpg

Off I go to BT to check their availability of Infinity and it appears that I am now able to get it. Soooo, I double check with one of their advisors and he informs me that 64mb should be what I receive.

So my confusion now is whether I can rely on BT's estimates? Can I genuinely receive 64mb fibre optic when I can only get 0.6mb standard ADSL? I don't want to sign up to an 18month contract and then only end up with 1,2mb or something daft.

I live approximately 3-4 miles away from my local exchange btw. You can see that from the shocking attenuation in my current stats! :laugh:

Any ideas you lovely people?

You're 3-4 miles from your exchange, but probably only a few hundred metres from 'Cabinet 23' at the end of your road.

That's the whole point of FTTC - it basically moves bits of the exchange closer to your house.

Go for it!

Off I go to BT to check their availability of Infinity and it appears that I am now able to get it. Soooo, I double check with one of their advisors and he informs me that 64mb should be what I receive.

So my confusion now is whether I can rely on BT's estimates? Can I genuinely receive 64mb fibre optic when I can only get 0.6mb standard ADSL? I don't want to sign up to an 18month contract and then only end up with 1,2mb or something daft.

I live approximately 3-4 miles away from my local exchange btw. You can see that from the shocking attenuation in my current stats! :laugh:

Going from other's reports on here and my own, I doubt you'll get the full 64 meg but you will definitely get close to it.
My linetest showed my line could support "Up to 56 meg" but in practice it's settled at around 43 meg.
BTW it's not the distance your home is from your exchange that matters it's the length of the copper line from the fibre "Cabinet" to your home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Spoken to a few people now who have all gotten reasonably close to their estimated speeds, so its looking good so far.

Anything over 20mb would be like a dream in comparison to 0.6mb - that really is just too slow :eek:

I was predicted 76 and that's what I get. Most people get what they are predicted, some get less, some get more. That's the nature of a prediction unfortunately, its not always right.

Well I've taken the plunge and installation is booked in for the end of the month :thumbup:

Everyone get on OK with the HH3 or is it worth replacing with a better one?

Well I've taken the plunge and installation is booked in for the end of the month :thumbup:

Everyone get on OK with the HH3 or is it worth replacing with a better one?

Absolutely no problems with my HH3, it's performed great, I've never had to reboot it and it has as good a range as any wi-fi router I've owned.

Absolutely no problems with my HH3, it's performed great, I've never had to reboot it and it has as good a range as any wi-fi router I've owned.

Good to hear.

I'll just see how I get on then. Need to invest in some homeplugs too, to ensure better speeds up in study upstairs. 500mbs ones should do the trick nicely

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom