1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Bose Acoutimass 6 A Good Choice In Price Range?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by asokas, Apr 9, 2002.

1. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am being recommended Bose Acoustimass 6 for my system. Is this a good choice for the price, or do you recommend something else that is better value in this price category. I understand the Bose system is passive. Can one get a good active system for this price or a little more?

AKS

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What sort of price are we talking about here? RRP or significantly less? If RRP, then most people here (myself included) will try and talk you out of Bose. I've even come across Bose dealers talking people out of Bose and recommending a cheaper but better sounding system. That's not to say Bose are bad - just not very good value for money. But it all depends on the individual and what you're looking to get from a system. Bose speakers are tiny and produce an impressive sound for their size. The speakers are significantly smaller than what some other manufacturers regard as "small". If this is what you're after then they may appeal to you.

You can read a short review of the Series II version at:

http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?ArticleID=741&GroupID=739

It doesn't come out too well, though it must be stressed that you should have a listen and decide for yourself. Don't put all your faith in magazine reviews - especially Home Entertainment.

I would say go for something else such as one of the many highly regarded mid-range sub/sat packages. The two that come to mind are the Energy Take 5 (or newer 5.2) system and the KEF KHT2005 (Eggs).

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with groundy.

Bose are not the best value for money speakers around. I lived quite happily with a set of AM 10's for a couple of years.

Bose AM speakers are certanly not the the last word in quality, they are however ideal if saving space is a premium. The cube speakers are tiny and are easy to place around your room without them being obtrusive, the bass/Sub woofer is fairly large though and more difficult to place.

If your priorities are for quality rather than saving space, you will probably be better off looking elsewhere.

Cheers.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Surprised Uncle Eric hasn't commented yet:rolleyes:

Like it has been said above, there are much better systems out there for the money.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    As has already been said, there are better systems out there.

Have a look at the Kef eggs, Def Tech Pro Cinema pack, M&K K Series etc

Far better sounding kit.

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I think the dual cubes are better than the single cube system - they just sound better for some reason

I think you can get an AM15 for 900 pounds and some do an old hi-fi trade in

7. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for these helpful responses.

Through what you have said, and reading comments and reviews elsewhere, I can clearly see that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with Bose (as well as a lot of happy people too). The subwoofer issue seems to be a genuine one.

Anyway, as a result of all this, I am now researching the JBL SCS 135 and Energy Take 5.2, which are readily available in my area and seem vrey well reviewed by users. If I can find the KEF Eggs, I will locate into those too.

AKS

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As an aside, it would be interesting where people defend kit that is generally not popular amongst forum members like Bose speakers and Sony DAV systems if they were to include comments on other kit that they auditioned prior to purchase.

Not too relevant in this particular thread but the bald fact "I bought "xyz" and think it's great" doesn't really tell anyone a great deal but if they said that they bought it after auditioning "abc" which was too bright sounding and "ghi" which didn't have any bass, it would give anyone reading it a better analysis of that person's opinion and it's relevance.

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    I'm just on my way out to 'set up' or should I say, unpack and plug in, a Sony DAV 800 all in one, for some close friends of ours.

Dominic is wheelchair bound while his wife Daniela wont even go near a plug so its up to me to get this thing going and make it sound as good as I can. I dont think I'll be that long but who knows.
    If anyone is in the market for a system like this, I will post a brief review in the General Chat section late tonight. I think these are priced at 800-900 pounds but Dom, as always tracked down a great price of 620 pounds from John Lewis in Watford. Dom thinks that they were price matching with a local AV shop.

Eric

10. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

For Ian J, asokas, and anyone else interested.

Here are my more detailed opinions on Bose Acoustimass speakers (and restricted sat/sub speakers in general).

1) First and formost Bose AM systems are a compromise between size and function. They are aimed at people who want quality speakers but don't want or can't have large speakers positioned around their room. This is a paradox to start with, as the saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it". IMO the best sounding speakers are designed with quality first and size second, Bose on the other hand have designed the AM series the other way around. This is not such a bad thing, because Bose have set out deliberatly to produce a small speaker system (first priority) that sounds good (second priority), which I think they have done up to a point (more of which later). As AM systems have been around for years now, I think Bose saw a gap in the market for this type of product which other manufacturers have now cottoned on to and have perhaps surpassed Bose. Before they launched the AM series, Bose were (and still are as far as I know) Quality manufacturers of much larger and highly regarded monitor and HiFi speakers and PA's, so they do know a thing or two when it comes to speaker design!. I must point out that all other small speaker systems from other manufacturers and not just the AM's fall into this compromise between size and function at varying degrees. At the end of the day you can't cheat the laws of accoustics, which these type of speakers are trying to do.

2) As I said in point 1, this type of speaker (Bose or not) are accoustically flawed from the word go. Speakers that are not compromised by their size restriction design are usually "full range" 2 or 3 way designs, this means they usually go from 20kHz (more or less the highest pitches that humans can hear) down to between 150 Hz to 80Hz or even lower. This almost covers the entire range a human can hear, a seperate subwoofer is then employed to fill the ultra low bass sound gap. All the above frequencies are (apart from the subwoofer) produced in each seperate speaker cabinet. These "full range" speakers need to be large because they need to accomodate the bass cone which has to be fairly large to produce such low frequencies. Small speakers get around having to be large to accomodate the bass cone, by employing a seperate single bass/sub bass unit that produces all the bass/sub bass for the rest of the system. The small Bose cubes etc.... are only therefore designed to produce only the high and mid range frequencies and not bass. This is where they 'fall down' when they are compaired to full range speakers. The point of HC speakers is to convey a sense of direction and space from any one of the speakers in the system, with full range speakers this usually works well. With small restricted range sat speakers it does not work so well. Because any bass in the sound track will be locked to the single bass unit resulting in bassy effects, music and deep sounding dialogue drifting from the correct speaker to the bass unit which is usually nowhere near to where it should be!.

3) I think that as a compromise, Bose have done a fairly good job of the AM speakers, apart from the bass drifting, they do other things rather better. The treble and mid range reponse is pretty good and are fairly clear and clean in general. You can push them fairly hard (loud) and they won't be to overwelmed enough to distort or get raspy. They also sound "big" and bold when you consider how small these speakers are.

4) The cubes as I have said before are very small and easy to place , the bass unit however is another matter. It is for a start, very big compaired to the cubes and can be a pain to place. It is also not magnetically shielded (the cubes are however) so it needs to be quite a long way from the TV which can compromise positioning even further (this can exaggerate the bass drift even further).

4) Bose AM's speaker systems are far too expensive IMO for what you get. If they retailed for half the price that they do now, I think they would not draw as much critisism as they do at the moment. They would IMO be good value, and dare I say it 'classics' in the small speaker market!.

I am speaking from experience on Bose AM speakers, as I owned a set of AM 10's for about 2 years when I was living at home with my folks and the space I had for speakers in my bedroom was very, very limited. I did audition them before buying them, But I did not audition any other speakers at the time because I did not at that time know of any other speakers that compaired to the size and relative quality of the AM series.

Cheers.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    I'm just waiting for someone to say they are the bees knees.
    I've just posted a brief review of an aspiring Sony/Bose clone in the general chat section.

Regards
    Eric

12. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Thats quite a reasonable description of the AM Bose speakers I think - makes a nice change

Just a few points I would like to talk about as I have an interest in Bose as I own the AM15 for 3 years now:

The bass does not seem localised to the acoustimaster to me. In fact in the Bose demonstration they play an oboe out of 5 surround cubes around the room individually and it sounds like a deep oboe comes from each cube. I dont think bass is localised hence why you can have sub-sat system

On the frequency issue - I think normal people who do not have a degree in this sort of thing would not notice it as something to talk about. It sounds ok and I have compared to other speakers and I have not noticed anything missing. When I first heard this I thought - what - so I went on a journey with my DVDs listening to large speakers - and after that journey I could not perceive any loss of sound - hence why I still have the AM15's

On speaker localisation - I have discovered that with large visible speakers there is a danger of speaker localisation - this is you start looking at the speakers when sound comes out of them so distracting you from watching the movie. With the small cubes this is not a problem so they are perfect for a living room

On the price - what do the Kef eggs cost - 800 pounds. The AM15 I think costs 900 pounds - roughly the same price

I would agree with your 'Classic' description - nice term. Dr Bose does not get credited with the design - he is a Dr who has come up with a great design and product

Uncle Eric - Here we go....

13. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thank you all for this very informative and information-rich discussion, which has proved to be most helpful to me.

For the record, I just bought the Energy 5 system, including the extra recommended subwoofer. It has ben very well reviewed by users on other websites, and there is not the same controversy with these as there is with Bose.

The whole thing cost me around £420, which I believe is probably less than UK prices for the same speakers. Then again, that's one good reason why I moved from the UK to Italy!

Regards,

AKS