Is BluRay HD better quality than Sky HD?

Scottola

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a PS3 now, but haven't bought any BluRay discs, as I already have Sky HD and didn't really want to buy any films if the quality isn't really any different to just watching a film on the HD channels as I've weened myself off DVDs, so that i see most films once they come round on Sky.

Nevertheless i can easily be persuaded to abandon this process!

My TV outputs at 1080i with Sky, do you think I'll notice a even sharper image, etc with BluRay?

Hiya,

I cant really comment as i dont have sky hd, but from what i've read, because sky is transmitting over a limited bandwidth that yes a disc source, such as blue ray or hd dvd will look slighly better than sky hd. its probably the same as comparing normal sky on the movie channels to standard dvds. sometimes they come very close but other times not so close..

Hope that helps..

Cheers,
Mick

On my 32" LCD SkyHD looks identical to Blu-ray, on my 100" pj screen Blu-ray wipes the floor with SkyHD imo. It depends what your viewing on/distances etc.

Just buy a Blu-ray disc, try it, sell it if it's not worth it for you, the most you will lose is £5.

On my 32" LCD SkyHD looks identical to Blu-ray, on my 100" pj screen Blu-ray wipes the floor with SkyHD imo. It depends what your viewing on/distances etc.

Just buy a Blu-ray disc, try it, sell it if it's not worth it for you, the most you will lose is £5.
See, that's all it took, I'm out tomorrow to buy my first. I've got a 37" TV, so I'll see what happens quality wise.

Very much doubt buying one will lead to me selling it, knowing me it'll be the start of another collection of 'stuff'

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom