Is Black Hawk Down R3 OK?

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I just noticed on CDWow that the R3 version of 'Black Hawk Down' is out next week (14th May) at £13.99.

It has the following features, so it seems pretty standard:-

Interactive Menus,
Scene Selection,
Theatrical Trailer,
Production Notes,
Making Of Feature,
Filmography
Featurette

Is there any reason not to go for an R3 release of this (or any) DVD?

Has anyone experienced problems with R3 from MovieTyme? I ordered The Others (R3), apparently derspatched from LA? on the 19 April. No show yet. I have e-mailed MT, but no response yet.

Don't use them some of there prices are ridiculously high.

Oh and I got the Others R1 from future ent, arrived last tuesday :)

I ordered The Others (R3) from Movietyme they despatched it the next day and it arrived 2 days later. Only used them once though. Would probably order from CD-WOW or Future Ent before them.

I'm holding fire for a month & will get the R1 release from Future Entertainment at the same price - £13.99.

R3 image sound quality can vary dramatically,

The Others R3 = DTS but terrible picture
The Others R1 = DD but much better visuals

Also you need to be aware that there is a 2 disc SE of BHD in the works for later this year.

Regards,

Blloyd

Just recieved R3 Black Hawk Down from CDwow and the transfer is exceptional. DD5.1 no DTS; anamorphic.

Originally posted by Jon Weaver
Buy what about my question? I know where to buy it.. That wasn't my question. Is there anything bad about R3 titles?

Some R3 titles are NOT anamorphic, so be sure to check this first!

I've just ordered The Others R3 from http://www.cd-wow.com/ for £8.99 (including P&P) :) I've been assured by cd-wow that it has both DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks (it's just advertised as having DTS on their website).

Prior to this, I ordered The Gift R3 for £5.99 (also from cd-wow). However, it was NOT anamorphic :( Also, it didn't have any special features - but as I don't care too much for special features (particularly at £5.99) that didn't bother me. The lack of anamorphic widescreen did though! :mad:

So long as you check out the spec, it should be cool :cool:

The R3 disc of The Others isn't anamorphic either.

The Black Hawk Down DVD R3 is anamorphic (2.40-1). Whilst I only have a 32" Widesecreen, it appears to be an excellent transfer!

Also it says on the back of the box that it is "mastered in high definition"...whatever that means.

Originally posted by Rambo John J
The R3 disc of The Others isn't anamorphic either.

It says anamorphic on the cd-wow website, so if it isn't, then they shall be getting it back!!!

Had the R3 Others for ages...

(Got it from dddhouse.com)

Definitely not Anamorphic....

Matt

Unless they've re-released it in anamorphic......

Not worried anyway - have nothing but praise for cd-wow's customer service and even the returns envelope is freepost (they send you a jiffy bag too :D) so my only inconvenience will be walking to the postbox to send it back ;)

They've posted it this morning, so should arrive in the next few days. If it does turn out to be anamorphic, I will post here.

Okay - The Others R3 isn't anamorphic from cd-wow either ...

They have offered a full refund since the error was with the info on their web site, as I knew they would :D

May as well watch it before I send it back tho ;) :cool:

Just a quick line to the "will i buy it now on R3 or wait for the R1" doubters ... I have just got my R3 from CD-WOW & the picture & sound are very high quality (no DTS but we will all have to wait for an SE or SuperDuperWooper Bit to get DTS) - Its a brilliant film - GET IT ON R3 NOW!!!

I just received Black Hawk down Region 3 and watched it and i have to say the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is terrible i spent the whole film waiting for it to come to life, i was expecting great things as it got an award for best sound but it was soooooooo flat. i can only assume its because of it being region 3, i will be selling and buying the R1 DTS version when its released to experience the film in all its glory.

anybody else feel this way?

Pearl harbours soundtrack blows Black hawk down right out the water althought that was thr DTS track hence the reason i expect better things frpm Black hawk down DTS. Saying that though the DD5.1 soundtrack should of been so much better than it was as it does not even compare to films like Fast and the Furious and Behind Enermy Lines

Anyway thats my oppionion :)

Yep i forgot to mention that i thought it was a great film regardless of the sound, definately worth watching

I agree.. I really enjoyed the film, but there were some inconsitancies in the soundtrack.

Sometimes, a gun would be fired quite close to the camera in the middle of the screen, but there was very little volume to the gunfire.

Still.. Its didn't really effect my enjoyment of the film.. I thought it was great!

I'm another one who thinks that a faultless transfer has been let down by a somewhat lacklustre soundtrack....dont know if it's anything to do with the region it's on though...my mates player which requires manual region setting, needed to be set to R1 for this 'R3' disc so it's probably the same transfer and soundtrack that the R1 will be getting, it also shows the American FBI warning screen which further hints that R1 will be the same apart from the subtitles available.

hmmmmmmmm considering this film got an award for a fantastic soundtrack (which you expect from a film like this) i expect its down to something maybe they have just done a bad job with the 5.1 track altogether, no idea but i just sold mine and will be buying the DTS version when it arrives to se it the soundtrack can be as good as the actual film
:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom