1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Big better?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marcjj, Apr 18, 2002.

1. marcjj

marcjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surrendering about £1500 from an insurance policy because my current tv is u/s. Which of these three would you purchase?
    I've included the lowest prices that i've seen for the tv's.

Loewe Planus 4781ZP £1114.99
    Toshiba 36ZP18P £1489
    or
    Panasonic TX-36PB50 £1643.83
    ?

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it were me, I would go for the Loewe. However, if I had £1500 to spend, I wouldn't buy the Planus, I would look for an Aconda 9281/9381 or the Vitros. I suppose it all depends on which model you like the look of most though. The Planus is not a Flat Sceen model whereas both the Aconda and Vitros are. They only come in 32", except the Aconda 40" but this is very expensive.

Others may recommend the Tosh, but I had numerous problems with that model, as did many others. There are several owners that are satisfied though. Search the previous threads as there is loads of information regarding the ZP18 models. I changed my Tosh for the Loewe Aconda and can honestly say it's the best TV I've ever come across. :)

3. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigger is almost ALWAYS better, unless the quality really sacrifices. IMO, anyway.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigger is better only if your room is big enough

anyway you may go for Loewe if you want the best picture but Philips will definitely have less problems with geometry, convergence purity etc (talking in average).
    Of course it always depends which piece you hit!
    Cheers

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    is it true that phillips makes the tubes for loewe thats what i was told ????????? im not really a huge phillips fan

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Philips do make tubes for Loewe. In fact Philips make tubes for a lot of manufacturers. The difference with the Loewe is that the tube is tweaked by them to a very high standard. The PIP feature of the Loewe is very advanced to the point that you can watch one channel while reading teletext on another channel at the same time.

7. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony rear projection tv which is the 51" KP51 and mate the size does make so much difference. My old 28" was swamped by my sound system but now I'd say the TV was worth every penny I spent on it even more than the sound. Can't remember if it was Hcinema choice or what hifi but they ran an experiment with a proj. & smallish sound v 32" and big sound and the proj won a huge mojority of the verdict. My advice is try and push the budjet a little bit further and for approx £1800 your gonna get a 40"+ RProj and ofcourse they're flat anyway and you're gonna love this TV. My Sonys little brother is a 41" and £1900 last time I see but I'm sure you'll find it cheaper now. Ofcourse putting the darn thing somewhere is something else.

8. marcjj

marcjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everybody who wrote back a message. In the end I went for a Toshiba.