1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is bi-ampingworth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BenPremium, Mar 15, 2004.

1. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    My current system is a Denon 3802 with Tannoy Revolution R3 fronts (rest is unimportant I guess).

As well as making the move from 5.1 to 7.1 I'm also thinking about bi-amping the Tannoys.

Was thinking about picking up an old Quad 303 off ebay. Would using the Denon and the Quad together produce better results than just using the quad on it's own? How would I go about setting this up?

Or should I not waste my money at all?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be more concerned with trying to find a poweramp with the same gain attributes as the AVR-3802, rather than the benefits of biamping, which IMHO are plainly obvious once you hear the difference.

Were I you I wouldn't get too excited about biamping. The Denon's a very good receiver.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The sound character of the Quad 303 is very different from your Denon,as is the power output,and I'd expect a very unusual result!....Dimmy's suggestion is right...try to find something that matches your Denon both sonically,and in terms of gain and sensitivity before biamping,if that's what you want to do.