Is being a midget a disability?

When I was 9 I wasn't disabled, but I was about 4ft.

wouldent work ,it would end up looking like the floor of a circus dodgems :(
There's a joke in there somewhere. Something to do with midgets and circus sideshows but I'm not touching it.

I suppose midgets must use a series of handrails and a small set of steps (like this) that they can move around the house to reach work surfaces.

Only if you want to play basketball.

:rotfl: Watch Midgets Vs Mascots it is a Classic :D. and funny, have a look ;)

--------------------------------------

To the Op, a healthy Midget is not Disabled and Bloody Daft imop.

travid wrote: Majority of time blokes would try to fight with him, simply because of his height

Didn't get this when I was an adult (but equally, didn't do my drinking in some of Wales's pubs ;)). However, all the way through primary school I'd get kids trying to pick fights for the reason that if they picked on me, by their warped logic, it wouldn't be bullying. I would try to avoid it, but once in a while I'd end up having to fight one of them and 'winning'. I never got any pleasure out of it. The lowest point came on a school trip to a zoo, when one of the school bullies has been riling me all day and having hit me and stolen my school cap (it was the 1960s, we all wore them), threw the cap into the crocodile pit. I responded by throwing him into the crocodile pit to retrieve the cap. I should point out that the crocodiles were (a) all arthritic and rheumy eyed and (b) all of them were at the other end of the pit. I don't want you to get the idea that I dropped the kid into the waiting jaws of a killer croc. However, given the response of the teachers and zoo keepers, you'd have thought I'd done that. Amazingly, all that happened was that I got a good telling off and was banned from the next school trip (to the local loo roll factory; I tried to look upset). These days I'd probably have spent the next few years seeing a shrink. Oh yes, the kid who ended up in the crocodile pit ended up being a Tory councillor and to the best of my knowledge is still alive. Ironically enough, in senior school we got on reasonably good terms.

It might require a specially adapted car or something. If you have to pay more for stuff that other people don't you are at a financial disadvantage.

Last edited:
Didn't get this when I was an adult (but equally, didn't do my drinking in some of Wales's pubs ;)). However, all the way through primary school I'd get kids trying to pick fights for the reason that if they picked on me, by their warped logic, it wouldn't be bullying. I would try to avoid it, but once in a while I'd end up having to fight one of them and 'winning'. I never got any pleasure out of it. The lowest point came on a school trip to a zoo, when one of the school bullies has been riling me all day and having hit me and stolen my school cap (it was the 1960s, we all wore them), threw the cap into the crocodile pit. I responded by throwing him into the crocodile pit to retrieve the cap. I should point out that the crocodiles were (a) all arthritic and rheumy eyed and (b) all of them were at the other end of the pit. I don't want you to get the idea that I dropped the kid into the waiting jaws of a killer croc. However, given the response of the teachers and zoo keepers, you'd have thought I'd done that. Amazingly, all that happened was that I got a good telling off and was banned from the next school trip (to the local loo roll factory; I tried to look upset). These days I'd probably have spent the next few years seeing a shrink. Oh yes, the kid who ended up in the crocodile pit ended up being a Tory councillor and to the best of my knowledge is still alive. Ironically enough, in senior school we got on reasonably good terms.
:rotfl: Great story - that would probably make the national news nowadays!

That's only just outside the normal range and hardly abnormal...

Really? i haven't been 9 or 4ft for along time so seemed small to me.If it isn't that abnormal why did he post it in a midget conversation :confused:

It's short for age for a boy, but not massively so and within clinical range. Don't forget if you are 6'5" you may have been on the high end as a lad. How high are you now PP?

5ft 8.5

Really? i haven't been 9 or 4ft for along time so seemed small to me.If it isn't that abnormal why did he post it in a midget conversation :confused:

I posted it to say it's not a disability to be small if we are all small as children, and we can still cope with most things.

If height is important then not too bad then, you did well. My Dad has always stretched to ever make the 5'10" he claims to have. My Mum's 5' 2" on a good day. :)

Last edited:
. Oh yes, the kid who ended up in the crocodile pit ended up being a Tory councillor and to the best of my knowledge is still alive. Ironically enough, in senior school we got on reasonably good terms.

so, what you are saying is, the slimy reptile had an influence on him?

sorry, couldnt resist :D

I have a friend who is 7 ft 4 inches tall, can you imagine how difficult it is to find suitable good fitting clothing (extra extra long trousers, but what about t-shirts?). I'm sure little people have the same problems. It is like a leftie trying to find a fair range of guitars on the market :D

Knyght byte wrote: so, what you are saying is, the slimy reptile had an influence on him?

:)

When I came back to this thread this morning I did wonder whether anyone would have resisted the temptation. I'm glad to see not. The serious answer is that a couple of years later the guy cleaned up his act altogether as he could see how unpopular he'd become. I'm no great fan of the Tories, but I must say that as a local councillor he did a good job of dealing with local issues and complaints.

BTW, if anyone's thinking of replicating my little stunt, the zoo changed the ease of access to the pit a couple of years later (can't think why ...). However, Berlin Zoo has a similar crocodile pit and viewing area, with a low fence. We went there a couple of years ago, and my 12 yr old daughter looked at it, looked at me, and said 'don't get ideas'.

Iron Giant wrote: If height is important then not too bad then, you did well. My Dad has always stretched to ever make the 5'10" he claims to have. My Mum's 5' 2" on a good day.

I think it's way better to be on the shorter side of average [though perhaps not when you get to the very lower end of the height range] - you don't have to worry about legroom, sleeves and trouser legs inevitably being too short, etc. Much healthier too - the taller you are, the higher your blood pressure is likely to be.

Geege wrote: I have a friend who is 7 ft 4 inches tall, can you imagine how difficult it is to find suitable good fitting clothing (extra extra long trousers, but what about t-shirts?)

It's a right royal pain in the proverbial even at my height, and because manufacturers know they're selling to a niche market, the prices skyrocket. But the problem is just as bad or even worse if you're of restricted growth. I have a couple of friends who are under 5 feet, and often the only things they can find off the peg that fit are kid's clothes.

Last edited:
Being a midget can be classed as a disability in my opinion as their height causes them difficulty in doing certain everyday things.

You do know that midgets are not all the same height right?

Mr Noble wrote: wow i'm 6' 7" , so i'm a freak and practically disabled as of today

Well, I'm two inches taller and so I'm more disabled. ;)

Being a midget can be classed as a disability in my opinion as their height causes them difficulty in doing certain everyday things

I think that people of restricted growth should get assistance because they have specific needs that aren't of their own making, but I don't like them being called 'disabled' as I think it gives the wrong impression. Am I just being woolly in my thinking with this?

Last edited:
Well, I'm two inches taller and so I'm more disabled. ;)

I think that people of restricted growth should get assistance because they have specific needs that aren't of their own making, but I don't like them being called 'disabled' as I think it gives the wrong impression. Am I just being woolly in my thinking with this?

Infact i may be even taller last time i checked was when i was 17 ish, i'm now 22 :D

Mr Noble wrote: Infact i may be even taller last time i checked was when i was 17 ish, i'm now 22
Are we talking about your age or the length of part of your anatomy?

And is this inches or centimetres?

;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom