1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Battlefield 1942 any good. i am considering buying it today

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Apr 26, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I am thinking of buying this game in a few hours is this game any good. I liek shoot em ups like medal of honor and reurtun to castle wolfeinstein how does battlefield 1942 compare.
    I got Raven Shield yesterday which is very good also very tactical.

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, BF1942 is a great, very fun game with some huge problems. If you're looking for a well-balanced game and intelligent, tactical AI, look somewhere else. It also has very "weird" physics, with sticks of dynamite that slide uphill for miles, jeeps that spin on their side a dozen times, the ability to sometimes withstand a tank shell in the chest without dying, a line of enemy "bots" who you can walk up behind and empty your pistol into each of them without them noticing that you exist, and your character losing 50% of his life for dropping 3 feet. (easily, my most hated glitch. I can jump that friggin high!)

Drawbacks aside, it is great fun in multi-player mayhem. Mowing down a squad of enemies with a single tank blast or sniping guys as they stream across a bridge can't be beat. Plus, the jeep is fast and furious. (and great fun to load up with explosives for a kamikaze run) The expansion fixes some of the issues, so you might want to keep an eye out for a good bundle of the two. One problem with playing online is that people tend to just line up and wait for vehicles to respawn, as you are a bit of a target as an infantryman.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi

If you have ADSL or ISDN then I would say you must buy it

Its the greatest game there is, and nearly every night about 40,000 people are playing it

People are getting more experienced with it, and if you enter a public game, the chances are that alot of people are playing the game tactically

You need the 1.31 patch which has solved most of the problems and play the multi-player version for real fun

I've taken it a stage further and have joined a clan. In the clan we are in a league, and you won't believe the planning and strategies we work on. Also team play we practise working in a team going for different objectives, all for a team result. And we are trying to get as high in this league as we can

And we have radio communications, so we can talk to each other in our league games, things like spotting new targets and things like that

There are many possibilites with this game, but you can buy it first of all just to have some fun on-line

4. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The possibilities are nigh-on endless in that game. Fargo from gamespy.com said something in the review about how he was playing on an island map, and the aircraft carrier he was on started to sink after being torpedoed by bombers. He managed to get onto a plane, and fly off the aircraft carrier seconds before it sunk, along with a ton of his team mates. Stuff that cool doesn't even happen in scripted single player games!

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    How about this

I was playing a club game, and we have fighter pilots who provide air support

So when I was been attacked by some of the other teams fighters, me in a tank, I radioed to our pilots that I needed air cover. He radioed back, coming to help you, and the next thing I see is one of our Spitfires coming over my head, and it engaged the enemy planes, thus taking the heat off me. So then I could watch the dog fight in the air, and our pilot won

Is this really cool or what

6. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hated the game at first and sold it, then i was persuaded to give it another go and love it to bits.

7. lazy

lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its good but get the dersertcombat mod for it @dersertcombat.com

Takes the game to a new level literally. Tho still in alpha it really playable.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For multi-player gameing on a fast Broadband connection in a room with 63 other people, it's amazing. The hours just drift away from you.
    The new Star Wars mod which is in developemnt looks and sounds like the mutt's dangly bits and all the other Mods comeing out make this a great buy.

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have not had a good session on the game yet but looking at the manual and having the odd quick go it does seem complicated.

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be honest i've never actually read the manuel :blush:
    I found it quite intuative just to pick up and play and learn as you go.
    I think it was more straight forward for me as i play non-stop on DOD and a lot on MOH and RTCW and their quite similar in tactics and play.
    The flying of planes on 1942 is the only thing i'm totally crap at , i fly for ages and drop bombs , shoot all my ammo and kill absolutley nothing , but stick me in a tank or jeep and their a doddle to control and play in :)
    It is worth sticking with coz in the right game with the right group of like minded players it is great fun but in a room with people who are not team players and just stroll/fly/sail around with no aim in mind it can be a bit off putting.

11. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this game is a must buy for a WWII FPS fans or no fans this game is great.

12. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do not hesitate - buy it now!

More fun than a bag full of hedgehogs.

13. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll get the hang of the plane, it just sort of comes to you. Play some instant battles, and just fly around, trying to bomb stuff. Literally, anything. Find one of your own tanks in single player, because they show up on the radar, and just keep coming back at it until you blow it up, you'll soon have it.
    Oh, and if you fly over your runway really low, it restocks you, so you don't have to get a new plane, just swoop down over the runway pretty slow.

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have got the game but not played it. i am too addicted to Medal of Honor on line.

15. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well if you like MOH have you tried Day of Defeat which is out now as a stand alone product. It really kicks MOH's ass IMHO.
    The new version has better animation , maps , atmosphere.....everything you could hope for in a WW2 FPS game.

General Panic

16. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    No but i am getting the retail version on Friday :). I dont have any half life games at the min. I used to have but did not get very far then i got a new computer and did not install the game.