is B&W CHERRY NAUTILUS 805 much better than atlantic technology 4200e LR

T

taoyeah

B&W CHERRY NAUTILUS 805 much better than atlantic technology 4200e LR?planning to buy 1 of them.

R

recruit

B&W CHERRY NAUTILUS 805 much better than atlantic technology 4200e LR?planning to buy 1 of them.
I notice you are from the US and that also maybe why no one has been able to give a comparison of the Atlantic Technology 4200e speakers which i have not seen over here in the UK but may be mistaken, but the B&W Nautilus/800 series are very well known here and if you were to do a search in this Forum you will find alot of opinions ref to the 805's and what great speakers they are and come highly recommended as higher end standmount speakers.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Taoyeah

Better ??? - Different Yes!

The AT4200e LR are very much part of a relatively inexpensive 5.1 system designed to give you great sound with lots of 'installation' flexibility in mid/small rooms; see http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?IsDev=False&NodeId=96.

The Nautilus 805s are used by a lot of folk in mid/high end two channel/multi channel systems in smaller rooms and wont sound great in a multi channel system with poor source or amplification.

As part of a balanced multi channel system both are great options though keep in mind your comparing the Front LR from a 3.5K USD 5.1 'System' (AT) with a 4.5K+ USD compact two way bookshelf (B&W).

Joe

T

taoyeah

so BW805 is better than at4200e LR for sure.but i found out monitor audio and kef is nice too.sigh..i am looking for 2 front channel speakers for my system/i got 2 surround sound.2 center.1 sub.so which is better between monitor audio GS10 and BW805?thanks for helping.guys.

R

recruit

The B&W805S's are certainly the better speaker than the MA GS10's but they do need good amplification, what amps are you intending to use ?

T

taoyeah

and the 1 i planned to buy is 805.whats different between 805 and 805s?

R

recruit

The Arcam should run them ok...the Nautilus 805's are no longer as B&W now are makeing the new 800 series with an S prefix and the new 805S's are alot better than the older Nautilus 805s and give the similar performance to the Signature 805s.

R

recruit

In the UK they are approx £1600.

Ref to Nautilus 805's - Great price for an excellent hifi speaker and as far as what Joe has mentioned in the above thread the atlantic technology appear to be not in the same league as the B&W's.

T

taoyeah

that too much for me,i cant afford it.i jsut goa spend around $1000 usd for the front speakers.a pair

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello taoyeah

Assembling a 5.1 loudspeaker array is a tricky business - its very easy to put together a set up that doesn't have a cohesive balance to the sound it produces.

You don't say what the rest of your speaker array is, what size is your listening/movie room and what are your long term plans for the system.

If your not planning on changing the rest of your speakers (Centre, Surrounds etc) its important that what you install now for the Front LR works with the installed system.

Best regards

Joe

R

recruit

Assembling a 5.1 loudspeaker array is a tricky business - its very easy to put together a set up that doesn't have a cohesive balance to the sound it produces.
Joe has a very good point and it is so easy to throw a system together but whether it will sound any good is the problem, so choose carefully and it is always best in a 5.1 setup to have the front 3 speakers matching to give a good balance across the front 3 speakers.

T

taoyeah

my room i 7ftx12ft,and i am not going to change the system in next 5 yrs.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello taoyeah

You haven't said what the rest of your loudspeaker array consists off.

Hopefully your Front LR are not going to live tight into your room corners.

If possible I'd get the Sub up to the front of the room to localise it with your Front LR are its going to be crossing over quite high with the Front LR units you are considering.

For two channel music reproduction the B&W are the better option - for integrating with your room and the rest of your 5.1 loudspeaker array its not so clear cut without knowing what you plan to use them with.

Joe

Nobber22

Novice Member
7ft x 12ft? That's a cell, not a room!! :eek:

I suggest a small sub/sat system, rather than a set of full range speakers like the B&W's. They won't have enough room to breathe and work properly.

Are those seriously your room dimensions???? :confused:

You'd be better off with a little budget all-in-one DVD setup for films, then get a good CD player, external phono-stage together with some classy headphones for music listening. :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom