Is Avr600 being wasted with P7?

a1000bhp

Standard Member
Hello, im currently using the Avr600 as a processor and to drive surround speakers. I am using a p7 to bi amp the front three speakers. My question is am i better off selling the p7, and using the 600 to drive all speakers? Are the amps in the 600 better than the p7?

Thanks

Last edited:

Turtles

The P7 will be better than the AVR600.

BUT.......it'll depend of the sensitivity of the speakers, ie how easy they are to drive, if you bi-amp the front 2 or 3 speakers.

If you're using some large floorstanders with low sensitivity or bi-amp some of your speakers then keep the P7, if you're using bookshelf speakers with high sensitivity then you may well want to think about selling the P7.

Basically both will do an excellent job, but as a dedicated power amp the P7 is always going to edge the AVR600, but by how much can only be decided by your speakers and your plans for future upgrades.

Remember though that the P7's are cheap at the moment and won't last forever, so if you sell the P7 and decide in a year that you want a P777 you'll be looking at over £2,500 to get close to what you already have and will probably only get a fraction of that if you sell the P7.

a1000bhp

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply, im currently using monitor audio rs8s and centre at the front, but hopefully will upgrade to either the gs series or possibly some pmc's. I asked the qustion after reading the widescreen review, which couldnt praise the 600 highly enough.

Turtles

PMC's hmmm -

PB1i - both bi amped from the P7
CB6i - bi amped from the P7

4 x PMC wafer 2's - all from the AVR600

Well........thats what I want one day! :D

crestron boy

dosent the P7 have a different gain because its THX compliant

mark yudkin would be the guy to ask!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
doesnt the P7 have a different gain
Yes. I assume he's using two channels of a P7 per front speaker, not that he's using one P7 channel and one AVR600 channel. The reason for my assumption is simply that if he were it would have sounded so awful that he'd have run out of the room screaming about the anti-torture convention. :) As it is, the speaker trims can be adjusted in the AVR600 to balance the fronts and rears.

I'd suggest keeping the P7.

gvera

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply, im currently using monitor audio rs8s and centre at the front, but hopefully will upgrade to either the gs series or possibly some pmc's. I asked the qustion after reading the widescreen review, which couldnt praise the 600 highly enough.

The AVR600 will drive the MA RS8 easily, no need for a P7 until you upgrade your speakers.

a1000bhp

Standard Member
Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. You are correct, i am using 6 channels on the p7 to bi amp the front, and the avr600 drives the surround speakers, Ive also used the trim levels:)

Bossk128

Sell the AVR600 and get an Arcam AV888 :devil:

Canti1982

You might actually see a bigger improvement by selling the P7 and putting that towards some better speakers (not that there is anything wrong with the RS8 :)). The AVR600 is very capable so should work extremely well with the GS or PMC's.

PenguinHiFi

Hi,

Sorry to drop a different line here. But your choice should depend on what you're looking for.
If you're looking for brute force, the P7 is the way to go. It has plenty of power and will never get out of breath.
If you're looking for sheer musicality, then the P7 might lack the finesse and subtleness you mayu be looking for.
Don't ask what Arcam gear you should get instead as I think that the power amps are Arcam's weakness (I hope to be proven differently when I get a chance to hear an AVR600 ;-). So you may consider another brand of power amps...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

onthebeach

Hi,

Don't ask what Arcam gear you should get instead as I think that the power amps are Arcam's weakness (I hope to be proven differently when I get a chance to hear an AVR600 ;-). So you may consider another brand of power amps...

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Hopefully the P777 may be a step up musically from the P7 if the AVR600 is anything to go by.

Sab

Keep the P7 and upgrade the AVR600 to the AV888 when the AV888 becomes available ex-demo or second hand.

However, the AV888 might not be a big upgrade over the AVR600 : law of diminishing returns.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
I wish I still had a P7 here to compare. There are things that the AVR600 can do that I don't remember our AV9 and P7 doing, and after reading Peter Moncrieff's full techno-heavy version of the review he did for WSR magazine I'm starting to consider much of it being down to the new amplifier design.

Page Title

The P7 is still a higher power, almost 7 monobloc design with it's own casing and power supply and so immediately has obvious advantages over amps built-in to an AVR such as with the '600. But with the low noise-floor and absolute transparency of the AVR600 I would really like to get a P7 back in here again (or indeed eagerly await what the P777 will be capable of!).

Anyways short-story long try without the P7 and report back. To be fair it's only your ears that can decide anyway what is best for you!!

a1000bhp

Standard Member
Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup:, i will do a comparison and report back if i can get the bloody thing working, im on my second avr600, looks like this one needs to back aswell.:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom