1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is AVR300 worth £500 more than AVR250?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rajkat, Oct 18, 2005.

1. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just picked up a mint ex-demo AVR250 for £800, but after reading a bit it seems this isn't as upgradeable as the AVR300.

Power seems fine for current room in stereo & multichannel (12"x15") with sub. Don't find a need to go above 80db or so on the amp vol level. Very very impressed with sound quality and the rest.

I'm moving to a slightly larger house/room soon though, and am begining to wonder if I should exchange for a new full priced AVR300 that packs a bit more punch. On the other hand i don't know how significant the extra power will be in real world (bearing in mind logarithmic demands of power(w) vs dB) and if it'll be a waste of £500 notes.

My main concern is that i may need more power rather than upgradeability issues (though that would be nice option to have)- has anyone got an AVR250 in a larger room?

I suppose if i needed to upgrade in future £500 notes added to the value of the 2nd hand AVR250 would get me an AVR300!

Any opinions?

Cheers.

Rich

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Only way you can decide it to take your 250 along to the dealer and compare with 300. IMHO for AV performance 250 will be fine. If HIfi performance is VERY important then 300 has the edge on drive and of course you can add a nice cheap power amp :eek:

Get a listen to them both side by side preferably with your speakers.

3. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main advantage of the AVR300 is the fact it has pre-amp out sockets; so additional power amps can be added.

I would wait until you actually get in your new room, and then determine whether the AVR250 is adequate.

4. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Probably right, I was more concerned about HT use as there is obviously more power (90w) available for stereo (music). As it'll be supplemented with a decent sub though it should be fine for time being.

Tried Saving Private Ryan on DTS yesterday and vol setting of 75dB was LOUD.