1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Atrac3 really gapless?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Castar, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was listening to one of my albums and I realised that there was a slight gap in between the tracks. I rip my files in 132Atrac3 (not plus) instead of the 128atrac3+ I would prefer so that I don't need to convert them for my NW-HD5H.

Is there anyone that knows more on this?

2. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only ATRAC+ is gapless and only when encoding from a cd not from files in other formats.

3. crazydane67

crazydane67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mix albums in 105kbps ATRAC3 (not plus) and they are gapless so the answer is both ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus will give you gapless playback.

4. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose that means that when I convert a 128atrac3+ ripped track to 132atrac3 for compatibility with the NW-HD5H the gapless playback is lost?

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not only ATRAC+ that is gapless - Like you, Castar, I encode in Atrac 132kbps and all my albums ripped from cd's play 100% perfectly seamless on my HD5.

But you have to rip your cd's directly and encode them to which ever bitrate you like. Converting mp3's to Atrac will not ensure that they are played gapless. :)

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify - All Atrac bitrates are gapless, but it must be directly encoded from the original source.

7. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But this is why I was surprised to find that there were gaps. All of my cds are ripped in either Atrac3 132 or Atrac3+ 128. Due to the inability of the NW-HD5H to handle 128Atrac3+ (A FIRMWARE, PLEASE!!!!) these are converted to Atrac3 132. I understand that there is a possibility in having gaps on the converted 128Atrac3+ to 132Atrac3 tracks, but on the 132Atrac3 ripped?

I'll carry one some more tests.

8. OneMoreSolo

OneMoreSolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes, if you convert one atrac to another then gapless playback will be lost. You'll have to re-rip from the original source in Atrac3 132.

9. tjdewalt

tjdewalt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if this off topic, but i found that you can split your songs. By doing this you could remove unnecessary gaps in any song.

Just select a song, then go to edit. There is a function that allows you to split the end or the beginning of the song. This also allows you to put bonus tracks in as normal songs without having to fwd the blanks.

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I can't hear a gap, so thats what matters, not whether technically there is/isn't one

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting (related) point: making ATRAC CDs with SS seems NOT to retain the gapless playback feature. Tested this today - 2-sec gap artificially inserted. Unless, of course, my Sony CMT-A50 is inserting the gap upon decoding?

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong here, but to my knowledge it is the cd player that inserts the gap (or at least some of them do...). Ever noticed how a track would play and when it finishes the counter would go -3, -2, -1, and then start playback of the next track?

In your case you say 2 secs. But then it wouldn't play cd's gaplessly anyway - oh god, it doesn't make sense... :)

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... but I would've thought that a Sony micro system advertised as playing back ATRAC CDs would've done so gaplessly, as ATRAC is a gapless format. Somewhat pointless, no? :confused:

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i have some time ill test it for you shadow, ive got the cmt-a70...i love it, except how it turns off optical output unless you have the original cd, DR freakin M!!!!

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Sasso!

16. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's a different thing. The negative time values you're describing are part of the CD, not inserted by the player (read this for more info), and probably not related to what Shadow is describing.

Andrew