• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Is Art mode unique to The Frame?

DrMekon

Looking for a 65" TV and love the concept of Art Mode shown off by The Frame, but you seem to be be paying a premium for this feaure at the expense of TV spec. I assume what is unique about The Frame would be the customisable bezel and the sensor, but Im not really bothered about these.. I just want a good spec TV capable of showing the same scenes - afternall surely this is just a software feature?

I know any modernTV is capable of shoing images/phots etc, but what makes these look much more appealing is the images include mounts (which I know could be manually added to pictures) so they do look like art work.

Is this effect available through ambient mode on supportg models, or is it simply a unique feature of The Frame? Alternatively I know LG offer Gallery mode, which is the other option!

sheffsteel

Good question...I’ve often thought the same.
The Frame tv is a great idea but they seem very overpriced for the art and frame features.

LG have the Gallery Mode....which looks excellent BUT the picture cycle every 10 seconds...so it loses the effect....does anyone know if you can slow down the cycling to a few minutes. I appreciate the OLED’s have potential burn in issues but surely having pictures static for 5 minutes per time shouldn’t be an issue. The fact that LG choose to cycle their art every 10 seconds suggest they have burn in concerns.

Also in Youtube theres always the “no signal“ message when viewing art.
This totally ruins the illusion of art. Surely a software update should easily fix this. Can it be turned off.

You would have thought by now there would be various “work around“ options.
Maybe connect a PC....using software to design frames and borders inserting photos or pictures.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I appreciate the OLED’s have potential burn in issues but surely having pictures static for 5 minutes per time shouldn’t be an issue. The fact that LG choose to cycle their art every 10 seconds suggest they have burn in concerns.
OLED burn in is actually just natural wearing out of individual pixels concentrated in an area because of the nature of the image displayed. In normal use the pixels will still wear out to a certain extent but spread across the whole screen to not be noticeable. I'd definitely not even be considering doing this with an OLED.

DrMekon

i saw the review showing the No Signal notification, but cant really understand under what circumstance this is shown... My understanding was its an Ambient mode function, so why the notificaiton?

Def agree about this sort of display on an OLED, even if the image changes, there are elements that are consitant (i.e., the mount) so woulnt this cause burn in over time?

Id be happy just showing the same image on an LCD, and thought the feature on The Frame that enables art mode when motion was detected in the room was a good idea, but if this and the customisable bezel are the only unique features, its too much to pay compared to the model of TV that its closes to performance wise.

ajstan99

With The Frame, you're paying for the picture frame-styled bezel, the No-gap wall mount, the One Connect box and Art Mode, all of which I do not believe are included with the Q70T/Q80T.

The Frame has a better picture than a Q70T which is $700 less, but a Q80T has a much better picture and viewing angles and costs $200 less than The Frame.

The upcharge for the aesthetics was worth the premium to me because it is in the great room and the room is 2x longer than it is wide, so the narrower viewing angle isn't an issue. It's a game-changer to have the TV be a decorative asset when it's off, rather than just a black hole. If this was in my basement HT, I would get the Q80T hands-down.

DrMekon

I can get the 55" Q95T for £100 more than the equivalent sized Frame which is why I was hoping Art.Mode was just a software feature that would be available especially on a flagship.

I know Ambient Mode is available which provides the ability to set custom wallpapers and show pictures but Art Mode does add something, even if it is just a picture mount! Which I suppose you could add manually.

Delta38

I enjoy my LG C9 Gallery Mode , Yes I think it should remain longer on the screen.

JK27

Standard Member
We have a 65” Frame TV (2019) and you can change the cycling time for artwork. You can select a single photo/painting and never have it change. Or, you can rotate through different artwork (your own photos, a specific art gallery, a specific theme, your favorite paintings you select from all of the collections, etc.). You can also specify the amount of time before any rotation occurs: 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, or 7 days. And, it’s not just a “software” feature as someone suggested above. It’s also a hardware feature — in Art Mode, the TV actually uses 30% of the power it would use if the TV were “on”. And, of course, the physical sensor which detects a human in the room is ingenious. And, it also has “night mode” which will turn off Art Mode when it’s nighttime and there’s nobody in the room. All in all, I think Art Mode is brilliant and worth the added cost; we purchased this TV specifically because of it. This is the best TV we’ve ever owned, in terms of PQ, wonderful 4K panel, we don’t miss “local dimming” and it’s great for watching sports (motion is not an issue whatsoever). Can you buy a “better” TV? Of course. Do I need anything better than this? No. Also, since this isn’t an OLED set (it’s an LCD), burn-in is not an issue for The Frame. It could be for an OLED set. Link to article about burn-in on Frame TV

Last edited:

Borley

Novice Member
We have a 65” Frame TV (2019) and you can change the cycling time for artwork. You can select a single photo/painting and never have it change. Or, you can rotate through different artwork (your own photos, a specific art gallery, a specific theme, your favorite paintings you select from all of the collections, etc.). You can also specify the amount of time before any rotation occurs: 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, or 7 days. And, it’s not just a “software” feature as someone suggested above. It’s also a hardware feature — in Art Mode, the TV actually uses 30% of the power it would use if the TV were “on”. And, of course, the physical sensor which detects a human in the room is ingenious. And, it also has “night mode” which will turn off Art Mode when it’s nighttime and there’s nobody in the room. All in all, I think Art Mode is brilliant and worth the added cost; we purchased this TV specifically because of it. This is the best TV we’ve ever owned, in terms of PQ, wonderful 4K panel, we don’t miss “local dimming” and it’s great for watching sports (motion is not an issue whatsoever). Can you buy a “better” TV? Of course. Do I need anything better than this? No. Also, since this isn’t an OLED set (it’s an LCD), burn-in is not an issue for The Frame. It could be for an OLED set. Link to article about burn-in on Frame TV
Hi JK We are in the process of replacing the TV in the sitting Room (rather than Cinema type room) My wife has agreed to upsize to 75"-85" and we are looking at the Frame (only comes at max 75"). Use is for everyday TV and sport and movies. No angle viewing issues. I am also looking at buying the SONOS Arc soundbar. I like that you say it has a motion detector and I like the one wire. Can you only choose art from that provided by Samsung. Are you still happy with yours? Any comments? Did you consider buying a Q 80T or Q95T and just making a frame for it?

JK27

Standard Member
Hi JK We are in the process of replacing the TV in the sitting Room (rather than Cinema type room) My wife has agreed to upsize to 75"-85" and we are looking at the Frame (only comes at max 75"). Use is for everyday TV and sport and movies. No angle viewing issues. I am also looking at buying the SONOS Arc soundbar. I like that you say it has a motion detector and I like the one wire. Can you only choose art from that provided by Samsung. Are you still happy with yours? Any comments? Did you consider buying a Q 80T or Q95T and just making a frame for it?
This TV excels at everyday TV, sports, movies and gaming. We have never experienced angle viewing issues (even some reviews called it out as a potential problem). You can choose art from Samsung’s curated galleries OR you can upload your own photos. That being said, the uploading of my own photos is not as easy/intuitive as I’d like. However, it does work. It’s just a LOT easier to select “favorites” from the thousands of photos/paintings that are provided in the Samsung Art Gallery (I think it’s something like $5/mo to access everything). You can select ”favorites” from all of the art provided and then rotate just those photos that are favorites. We are still very happy with ours. We had it wall-mounted with a Samsung cable that is UL listed for behind the wall — so there’s zero visible wires going to the TV. We are considering moving from the 65” Frame (2019) to the 75” Frame (2020) as we just bought a new house. Thinking about selling the 65” frame, per installed, with the old house, and then purchasing the new 75”. Also, for 2021 (not yet out), the thickness of the Frame is 50% of what it was — which is min—boggling. No, we did not consider buying a Q80 or Q95 and making a frame for it. While it might work, it’s not going to have the Art Gallery built-in, it’s not going to have the motion sensor, and it’s not going to have the hardware which would enable the TV to use 30% of the power (in other words, your TV would be 100% ON, all the time). The implementation and design of the Frame is just about perfect for us, so I have no interested in taking a “normal” TV a new trying to make it into a Frame lookalike. Good luck — let us know what you decide. Also, I’ve seen 2019’s on sale (significantly cheaper than the 2020’s); I would consider going with a 2019 to save some $$. Only problem is that the 2019’s don’t have 75”. So, we might wait ‘til the 2021’s come out and then purchase a 2020 model to save some $$.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom