Is Arnold Schwarzenegger underestimated as an actor?

Pincho Paxton

Ex Member
Reaction score
Since I saw Arnie in an interview about Terminator, I have been asking myself... is he underestimated as an actor?

I just want to chew over some of his acting contributions, and his ideas.

During filming of Terminator, it was Arnie's idea to move his eyes, before his head, like scanning, to portray his Robotic nature. That is one of the most outstanding elements of the whole movie.

He did great at showing no expressions at all, and even though he had few lines in the film he still said them in a way that you would never forget.

If you just analyse his every move, his body language, and his skill with a shotgun, it's all done better than anyone else could have done it... you can't replace him.. his movies belong to him.

So, basically I'm saying that there is more to acting than the words that come out of your mouth.

Arnie is a great body language actor! :thumbsup:

Since I saw Arnie in an interview about Terminator, I have been asking myself... is he underestimated as an actor?

I just want to chew over some of his acting contributions, and his ideas.

During filming of Terminator, it was Arnie's idea to move his eyes, before his head, like scanning, to portray his Robotic nature. That is one of the most outstanding elements of the whole movie.

He did great at showing no expressions at all, and even though he had few lines in the film he still said them in a way that you would never forget.

If you just analyse his every move, his body language, and his skill with a shotgun, it's all done better than anyone else could have done it... you can't replace him.. his movies belong to him.

So, basically I'm saying that there is more to acting than the words that come out of your mouth.

Arnie is a great body language actor! :thumbsup:

i think he is a great actor! love him in alll the films that he has done! dont know if i would vote for him as a mayor tho :rotfl:

Arnold is one of my personal heroes. The man is a born achiever, I mean just look at what he's done with his life. In the 70's he wanted to be the world's best bodybuilder and he won Mr Olympia 7 times in total. Then when he retired he wanted to start doing movies and he became the biggest action movie legend ever, and now that he's turned to politics he's the mayor of California :cool:

He'd never win an oscar for his acting but that's not what the man is about. He's all about the cheesy one-liners and trademark "arrggggghh" shout :D
Today's action stars just don't have his character.

Thers one thing you can always relie on with Arnold.........he will be back.

classic and movies that you can watch again and again.
:smashin:

Yes he is very good at playing a robot, but great actors can play a wide variety of roles' can you see arnie playing hamlet :rolleyes: or maybe lear :eek: .

No he is not underestimated in my view, but i still like him and yes he was great as the terminator ' a role which nobody else could play.

Arnie is a great comic actor too - kindergarten cop / twins - there are some classic moments there.

But yes Arnie's finest moment was perhaps the first Terminator film - none of the other "muscle actors" would have done such a good job.

can you see arnie playing hamlet :rolleyes: or maybe lear :eek: .

To be back or not to be back, that is the question :D
I don't think he's a good actor at all, but I've enjoyed all his films :)

I don't think he's under-estimated - but he plays the roles that suit his type of "persona", as well as anyone could.

I think the movies he plays, fit around him, where as an extremely good actor can fit within the movie. (Johny Depp springs to mind here!)

if he had took acting classes you never know what he might have achieved :D

A true box office action star though :smashin:

To be back or not to be back, that is the question :D

That's a good quote! :rotfl:

Infact I would love to see a movie where Arnie tries to do Shakespear, and ends up saying words like that!

Arnie manages to get into theatre because his twin dies in an accident, so Arnie takes his place unbeknown to the production company... :D

NO most if not all his roles action roles that require little acting ability and I thought his comedy role were terrible.

That's a good quote! :rotfl:

Infact I would love to see a movie where Arnie tries to do Shakespear, and ends up saying words like that!

Arnie manages to get into theatre because his twin dies in an accident, so Arnie takes his place unbeknown to the production company... :D

Didn't he quote 'to be, or not to be' in Last Action Hero? :D

Ive been mulling this over, and underestimated...? Absolutly.

We all know hes not laurence olivier, but most of his films even his crap ones have a enduring effect.

Im 38 ,so ive kinda grown up watching big A, and hes made some lasting films, that always make it high up in polls and lists.
And just his one liners are worth admission alone..

Asta la vista baby..

Totally love Arnie, the greatest action hero ever...but i do really like the rock...who can really act as well as do great action...but it does look like the rock is looking to move away from the action genre...which is a shame.

I did have hopes for Vin Diesel but he turned out to be rubbish.

My main action now come from straight to dvd Seagal and van damme..very bad but very entertaining :D

I grew up watching Arnie films and always loved them. Sure he might be limited in his roles but he does what he does so well, why should he have to do anything else to be considered a great actor?

Well he is the star in two of my favourite films of all time. Terminator 2 and Predator, so yeah, I think he's awesome. So awesome in fact, that I bought this:

2007_12240001.jpg

and these:

DSCF0514.jpg

:D

monkey's great!, a collectors item :D

nice collection mate :smashin:

Thanks, those heads are huge. (Life-size in fact.) Arnie is about 2ft high. The eyes light up on both the Arnie and the T-800, then fade out like they do in the movies. :D

Mind you... the amount of damage!!! :eek: I would have sent it back!

Ahnuld is truly fantastic in The Terminator, and he tries his best elsewhere. I've always liked him in Predator and the Conan flicks. He doesn't do too badly in True Lies either.

Arnie is the best professional at his job in action films as he dominated this genre for a good few years....of course I am totally objective in my views:D

That's an excellent head :thumbsup: Probably much better at speaking than the real thing ;)

Arnie has made some true all time classics, many people (normally film snobs) dont get what makes a good action film, arnie does :D

Got commando to watch on BD this weeked :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom