Is Apple Care worth buying?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by tony kop77, Jan 1, 2012.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    My macbook pro is coming up to 12 months old. I am just wondering is apple care worth having? Apple have it for around £270 which seems expensive to me.

2. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
  3. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Definitely a good investment, IMO. It's like an insurance policy - you buy it hoping you'll never need it, but when you do need it you'll be bloody glad to have it.

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks guys, would replacing components not work out cheaper? I guess you can't buy apple care after the extra 2 years are up. If I buy from apple would I be able to spread the cost and would they write to me first once my macbook is closer to 12 months old?

5. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    For some components that's true, you can get a replacement new battery for about £100, a new HDD for £80, even a new Wifi module for £94.

However a replacement motherboard is about £600 as it includes almost everything else, CPU, ports, charging circuits... also a lot of things that can fail. So it's a bit of gamble.

There's also the convenience of just dropping off the MBP at an Apple Store for a couple of days instead of diagnosing and fixing the problem yourself.

Don't think Apple will allow you to spread the cost so might as well go for the cheaper options I posted above. Not sure either if they write to you about Applecare as I've bought all my Macs with it ;)

6. BrianMW

BrianMW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I didn't think that Apple Care was worth it on my previous iMac 24" model until it failed after 14 months, simply dead at turn on... required a replacement internal PSU, Logik Board and Graphics card as the PSU took them out...

Luckily the Apple store took pity on me and replaced the cheapest component (chargeable) required and when that failed to work (as they new it would) they replaced all three required parts... but it was still more expensive than the Apple Care for the iMac which was only around £130...

I'm a PC engineer so i thought I would replace anything required but I could not get the parts cheaply, my friend is a mac engineer and he couldn't order the parts unless it was a warranty repair so it could have been far more expensive...

Needless to say when I got a new one later it has Apple Care :facepalm:

7. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    And if you're not aware, some Apple accessories are even covered by the Mac's AppleCare. Have a read at this sticky/FAQ and what else may surprise you.

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    How long is the warrenty should I buy apple care, is it for a year and if things go wrong how long until it's fixed (obviously depends what's wrong) apart from motherboard that parts are cheaper, would apple still fix it for me for a fee if I don't buy apple care? I will chek the link and see what things apple care cover. Thanks guys.

9. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    as explained in that sticky I wrote that Camfire linked to, Apple Care gives an additional two years to the standard one year warranty, giving you a total of 3 years of coverage.

10. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    iPhone warranty gets an additional one year with AppleCare (I know this isn't the iPhone forum, thought id mention it anyway). Not sure about iPad off top of my head

11. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Which I already mentioned in that sticky linked to above;l I wrote total 3 years seeing as this is the Apple Mac board and not the general Apple board or iPhone board :thumbsup:

12. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    In my case it was 100% worth it!! My MBP with AppleCare went 2.5years trouble free, then my screen died and it was all covered under AppleCare instead of the quoted $799 repair fee! Then had the optical drive fail as well as the logic board all in the last 3 months, all replaced OK.

Problem is, I only have 1 month left now of Applecare and my screen is flickering again so its going back. Really dont want it dying outside of warranty, although even a $799 screen is still cheaper than the basic $3000 MBP :(

13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    Just remember that a three year old laptop is barely worth a fraction of the initial value. So if you have a new machine at the end of the three year period, it's only likely to be worth less than half depending on what new models are released.

And you will most likely be wanting to upgrade too.

Whether the applecare warranty is going to get you a significant amount more for your laptop should you choose to sell is hard to say.

In my view, see what happens during the first twelve months and then assess the likely new models that have/will be released and choose whether to sell or stick with it for the next two years. If you are going to tough it out, it's probably worth going for it so you don't have to replace it before the next major release.

Graham

14. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Out of interest does anyone know if Applecare covers the magsafe adapter? Mine has started to have the plastic separate from the lead at the power brick end. Got it taped up at the moment so if I can replace it under AC that'll be good as dont want to spend $180 on a replacement :(

15. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    I've had one replaced under the regular warranty for the same problem, so I see no reason why it won't be covered by Applecare.

16. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    A colleague of mine recently had some repair work done on her Macbook. Total cost around £1k mainly because they had 3 attempts at fixing it. So yes I'd say the Applecare cover was well worth it.

17. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Why would would you to pay for them to try fix it 3 times? I would have thought you pay for it to be fixed and if it's not fixed you take it back as it wasn't done correctly.
    Some guys at work say claim on house insurance, only ever claimed when brother dropped a tv which cost around £400.

18. maxwech

maxwech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes it does. I've had one replaced. It seems to be a known problem, so I doubt you even need Applecare though.

And to answer the OP, I think it's definitely worth it for laptops. All of mine have gone wrong at one time or another. Two had to be replaced completely.

19. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I'm not totally convinced about buying AppleCare just because your warranty is about to expire. For example, if my MBP died after say 18 months then I would be using the Sale of Good and Services Act to challenge Apple since it is reasonable to expect a £1500 laptop to last longer.

20. bprentice2010

bprentice2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
  21. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    This was an Apple approved reseller doing the repairs. Very poor service really, but they managed to fix the machine eventually.

22. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    That is quote poor, I'm surprised they didn't do the extra repairs as good will repairs

23. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    There was no charge for any of these repairs, it was all done under the Apple Care cover. However it's not great that the machine had to be taken in 3 times to be completely fixed.

24. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Ah that makes sense, wasn't sure with your earlier post if you meant repairs worth £1000 or cost £1000

25. 7ofnine

7ofnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    The former. Sorry, should have been clearer. Was making the point that the Apple Care was indeed worth it for this person.
    However if I get problems, I wouldn't go to this reseller. Would probably go direct to Apple at Bristol.