Is anyone worried that their PS3 might break in the upcoming hot weather?

The X360's can overheat in the summer weather and break. You can buy fan coolers to cool them down.

As the PS3's first summer is coming up do you think overheating will be a problem for the PS3 as well? Are there any extra cooling devices?

Rizvan

The X360's can overheat in the summer weather and break. You can buy fan coolers to cool them down.

As the PS3's first summer is coming up do you think overheating will be a problem for the PS3 as well? Are there any extra cooling devices?
Well if it does go pop..... mine is going straight back to Sony!

Surely they would have tested PlayStation3 units under extreme test conditions.

Riz:D

zz101

Banned
Given the PS3 is available all over the world it must have been released in a hot country by now and there have been no reports of over heating issues. Also the console is specifically designed with heat management in mind unlike other consoles.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
There were instances of early units overheating at TGS, but it was probably pretty hot with all those bodies packed inside.

stu.artd

I can't say I'm concerned. Our house can be very warm in winter with the central heating at full blast, at least in summer the windows can be opened to provide a little airflow.

Well if it does go pop..... mine is going straight back to Sony!

Surely they would have tested PlayStation3 units under extreme test conditions.

Riz:D

Ha I saw the film Sunshine yesterday and when you said extreme conditions I imagined Sony using a test center near the surface of the sun going "its still working".

fizl

I saw extra fans for the PS3 in I think Game a few weeks ago (or it could have been Virgin lol)

Shaz

Jim_Fear

If my 360 could survive last summer then I have no worries :thumbsup:

Kahled

Didn't have any problems last summer with the 360 despite the heat so I would be very surprised if the PS3 had a problem with it.

If there was a major flaw in the overheating department then would probably be hearing more reports from Australian buyers by now since they are in high BBQ season.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Didn't have any problems last summer with the 360 despite the heat so I would be very surprised if the PS3 had a problem with it.

If there was a major flaw in the overheating department then would probably be hearing more reports from Australian buyers by now since they are in high BBQ season.

I thought our summer was their winter?

You would've thought Microsoft would have as well!

In the 6 weeks before they got them on the shelves? I suspect the reason the 360 is so unreliable, is the fact that in the rush to get the boxes in shelves for Xmas last year, reliability testing was skipped in favor of shipping now and worrying about that later...

Sony have had along time to get the PS3 right, and by initial reports based on 3 million units, failure rates are pretty low, so I have no worries about our "Hot" (by UK standards, but normal by global standard) weather.

There were instances of early units overheating at TGS, but it was probably pretty hot with all those bodies packed inside.

The TGS units were also in enclosed display boxes...

Kahled

I thought our summer was their winter?

And right now they are hitting 33 degree plus temps in places which would be similar to our previous record summer give or take a few degrees.

Hence if we were going to have problems in the coming summer then they would probably already be occurring for Aussies.

MattZani

Banned
if it starts to get really hot, i'll buy a Fan, but i'll probably have a desk fan anyway, so i can make sure it blows some air over the PS3. and if that doesn't work, i'll give it some water with ice in.:smashin:

fuzzybee

Banned
what a bizarre thread, why would a console overheat in the summer months compared to any other time of the year ???

i suspect most are situated next to or near a plasma/lcd which produce heat and in a room where in the winter your central heating or Gas/Electric fires are on keeping the room warm before you start

if a console is going to overheat the weather outside wouldn't come into the equation

going by your thread does that mean countrys with continuous warm wheather like Australia have different PS3's to us with bigger fans ???

no they don't so lets try and stop being silly about things

D

Deleted member 63670

I installed a 18000 btu aircon kit in our living room a couple of years back, this is why my equipement never overheats, the day we installed it the outside temp was 33 and within 30 mins my living room was 16 degrees, superb.

MattZani

Banned
i think its more to do with keeping it out of direct sunshine through window's, i kept my curtains pulled today because the PS3 was in direct sunlight.

Tony Hoyle

It'd only break at a temperature you'd be too uncomfortable to play in anyway.

Plus it gets pretty hot in Japan.. I'm sure they've tested it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022