1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone watching DVD-RAM on their PC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Jun 24, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone record on their Panny DVD recorder using DVD-RAM and then watch it on their PC? This may seem a strange question so let me explain: There are some programs that my wife and I don't both enjoy watching. So one of us gets packed off upstairs to the "Computer Room" to watch it on the PC whilst the other enjoys the full Home Cinema Experience using the TV!

The problem is that I'm playing the DVD-RAM disk through my Hollywood+ on an old PC and the DVD Station (software player) won't fast forward or re-wind the program. It just goes straight back to the start of the disk.

So the question is: does anyone else suffer this problem and if not what software/hardware are you using on the PC?

If I finalise the disk to create chapters will I ever be able to use the disk again? Can I just reformat it?

Thanks for looking

DaveP

2. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I am watching DVD-RAM on my IBM laptop. I am using WinDVD and a Hitachi DVD-ROM. To get the player to play DVD-RAM I had to upgrade to the latest device driver but now plays fine.
    I can fast forward and rewind no problem. However you do not get the playlist of programs. You have to remember how many programs are on the DVD-RAM and in what order and then use the DVD player software to FF to the end of the program just before the one you want to watch. For example if you have three progs on the DVD-RAM and you want to watch the last one the only way to get there is start at prog #1 and FF/go to the end of prog #1 and #2 and then #3 will start.

You can reuse the DVD-RAM by deleting the playlist one by one or format the disk if you wish.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. It's good to hear you can do a Fast Forward. What is the speed of the processor in the IBM? I take it the DVD-Rom drive is the built in one?

Cheers

DaveP

4. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Processor is approx 700 MHz and yes the DVD-ROM is built in.

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I can play dvd-ram recordings on my pc using PowerDVD XP. Can rewind, fast forward etc. perfectly. It will also easily allow me to choose a different program from the same large vro file by showing a thumbnail of each (same as my recorder does infact).

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks

DaveP

7. jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you playback DVD RAM in other PC drives or recorder drives eg pioneer A105 (-r/-rw) or do you need a separate DVD player unit??

8. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the dvd drive has to be capable of reading ram discs.
    my toshiba sd-1712 can and plays them fine with win dvd s/ware.
    my pioneer ao4 dosnt recognise dvd ram discs at all.