Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is anyone using a Sony HS20 connected via DVI to their PC?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DaveP, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried all the tips on AVSForum and most of the others. I've installed Windows XP Media Centre Edition from scratch and the best I can get is a 1024x768 window that slides left and right across the 1368x768 desktop.

I even set the new install just to use the HS20 as the single display.

The graphics card is an nVidia FX5200 and I also tried an ATI with the same result.

If I can't get this sorted I shall have to consider selling the HS20!

I have placed a wanted ad to see if a DVI to HDMI cable will solve the problem.

If anyone has this setup working please tell me which graphics card you are using.

Thanks

Dave

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I got my 6600gt working with a hs20 at 1368*768 using the 71.40 drivers, see the post in the htpc forum. If you use the hdmi socket you can only run 1280*720 and lose the benefit of pixel mapping.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I can only find 66.93 on the nVidia site. Where did you get 71.40?

Dave

4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, I'll try it later.

Dave

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've tried this version and I still can't get full 1:1 pixel mapping.

I'm beginning to think there is something physically wrong with my projector.

If I configure the HS20 as a GBR on the DVI and then configure the PC accordingly I get a full widescreen image from the projector, albeit at the reduced res.

I also found that if I went into PS and selected "Get Info Directly from the projector" it obtained all the details with no error. When I try the same thing with the HS20 configured for a PC connection I get the usual error messages about compatiblity etc and I cannot edit the 1024x768 settings.

I tried modifying the GBR .inf file to suit the PC connection but it still gives me the low res.

When I got the pj it only had seventy odd hours on the lamp. I'm now over 100 and only 4 hours has been used for actually watching something! The rest has been spent trying to get the 1:1 issue resolved!

I have noticed that when the pj goes into GBR mode there is a physical click from inside. This swicthing doesn't occur when using it set to PC.

Dave

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Dave,

I think your first probelm is that you need to select PC - digital for pixel mapping.

With the 6600 I used the nvidia custom timings, we didn't have powerstrip installed although I have used it in the past with an ATi card.

This is the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182166 with exactly the change we made in the nvidia settings.

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I only mentioned the GBR because of it's different behaviour compared to the PC link. All my efforts have been towards getting the PC interface working correctly. I only tested the GBR to see if that was the same, which it wasn't.

I've had a look at that thread and I'll see if I can get some time tonight to test a few things. I'll un-install PS for a start.

Do you just the default plug and play monitor in device manager or do you have a custom .INF file?

Thanks again for your help

Dave

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes it is the standard plug and play monitor driver. Just make sure that the box, "hide reoultions that this moitor does not support" is unchecked.
    AFAIK the video gbr mode has a max res of 1280*720.

I dont think it will matter if powerstrip is installed or not but we didn't need it.

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you be good enough to tell me where I find the Advanced Timings" option?

Thanks

Dave

11. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dave

For the 6600 its

display properties>settings>advanced>geforce 6600gt>screen res & refereshh>advanced timing

I Have no idea how similar that is to other nvidia cards.

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, not an option on the FX5200.

Would you recommend I ditch the nVIDIA and buy an ATI 9600SE?

Cheers

Dave

13. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    We know it works reasonably easily with ati and powerstrip.

14. edved

edved

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I too faced a similar dilemma with my hs20. I was fortunate enough to get some help from someone in this forum.

Powerstrip with my 9600xt card @ a res of 1366x768 with 1:1 mapping has created what I believe to be an amazing image while watching dvd's.

I would suggest searching for powerstrip settings for the hs20 as a good start. Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Good luck.