Is anyone using a MS VGA cable for a Toshiba LCD ?

JamieBee

Now I know there are a couple of other threads regarding the pros and cons of the VGA cable but I just wanted to ask a question specific to my TV.....

I am using the official VGA lead for a Tosh 32WL56 and find the menu text on the dashboard particularly and on the games menus not as sharp as I would like. Have tried fiddling around with the resolutions but doesn't seem to help (I have it set at 1360x768 which is supposedly best for my TV). I notice it most when the prompts flash up telling me I have signed into Live or so and so is online. It is noticeably blurry.

Other threads mention that VGA makes the colours look washed out and to be honest I have not really noticed this until looking at the PQ on one of the 360 pods in the shops. The colours are much better.

The only options I have to adjust this on the TV are backlight, contrast, brightness and colour temperature. I have put the temp to warm but not sure what to set the others to to improve the picture.

I assume the official MS lead is equally as good if not better than say, the Joytech and Monster cables ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.....:lease:

mickeyb01

Novice Member
I have the same tv and also use the official vga lead.I have to say that im very happy with the picture quality and find the colours very vibrant.PGR and PD0 look great,and the detail in call of duty is amazing.I also have the joytec vga lead and have to admit i could not notice any significant difference in picture quality compared to the official lead.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
i have the wlt58, make sure you have the clock and sync right on the vga port.

i havent got a vga lead but when using component i notice the sign in prompt is sometimes blurry but then clears up. might be a 360 problem and not the tv

JamieBee

JagoPlasma said:
i have the wlt58, make sure you have the clock and sync right on the vga port.

i havent got a vga lead but when using component i notice the sign in prompt is sometimes blurry but then clears up. might be a 360 problem and not the tv

How do I change clock and sync ?

I have a VGA switch box to use 360 and dvd recorder. With or without the box the blur problem remains (thought it may be as I was using the box). On the back of the box there is a switch with 3 options "On", "S" and "Off" - not sure what they mean but that doesnt make a difference anyway.

hulkhead

i have the official ms vga cable on tosh 37wlt58 and the picture is nice and sharp. i have also not seen any framerate issues.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
wandersen said:
Component provides a better picture on the WLT58. Why not use this instead ?

even tho i dont have a VGA cable id disagree. when using my pc via VGA i get a much better picture.

JamieBee said:
How do I change clock and sync ?

I have a VGA switch box to use 360 and dvd recorder. With or without the box the blur problem remains (thought it may be as I was using the box). On the back of the box there is a switch with 3 options "On", "S" and "Off" - not sure what they mean but that doesnt make a difference anyway

go into the toshiba menu and pc settings. also make sure the screen is stretched properly

N

nellu

JamieBee said:
I am using the official VGA lead for a Tosh 32WL56 and find the menu text on the dashboard particularly and on the games menus not as sharp as I would like. Have tried fiddling around with the resolutions but doesn't seem to help (I have it set at 1360x768 which is supposedly best for my TV). I notice it most when the prompts flash up telling me I have signed into Live or so and so is online. It is noticeably blurry.

I have the same problem with my 20" LCD monitor. I assumed it was due to the native resolution and scaling (the native res on my LCD is 1680x1050). The games when been played look great, but the menus and dash look blurry. Whats the native resolution of your TV?

I can only assume the 360 does most of the scaling when games are played, but only outputs at whatever res is set in the display sttings for menus and such like. Im hopeing MS will update to include more resolution options in the future.

VGA is better only if you use the best settings for your TV. You should look into your TVs native resolution!! My TV is 1280x768. Therefore i used this because VGA alowws you to choose your resolution. If your TV is a diferant resolution from what you have set then re-scalling will take place(which happens with component anyway).

VGA unlocks many resolutions, and if you choose the correct setting for your TV then it will eliminate scalling and you will have a good picture.

Dont choose a higher resolution because you think the higher, the better. This is not the case. For you to get the best picture you possibly could, choose your TVs exact resolution as your setting!!

JamieBee

JagoPlasma said:
even tho i dont have a VGA cable id disagree. when using my pc via VGA i get a much better picture.

go into the toshiba menu and pc settings. also make sure the screen is stretched properly

I am not sure I have any PC settings. I just have general drop down menus such as pic, sound etc. Any idea where PC settings are ? DO you have the same TV ?

"VGA is better only if you use the best settings for your TV. You should look into your TVs native resolution!! My TV is 1280x768. Therefore i used this because VGA alowws you to choose your resolution. If your TV is a diferant resolution from what you have set then re-scalling will take place(which happens with component anyway)"

I have read that my TV native res is 1366 x768 which I had it set to but I have also read that this is not always the best option. This is why I have tried it on the 2 options above that (1280x768 & 1280x720 I think).

Should changing the resolutions only make a difference when playing games or games AND the dashboard ?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
JaimeBee i have the 58 model which is an upgrade from yours. i have seen specs of your tv that say 1366 AND 1280 for your tv, the 1280 being on tosh's website. your best off double checking.

the menu for my tv may be different but you have to go into pc settings on the 3rd menu across where you can adjust picture size

Ok, if your TVs native resolution is 1366x768, set it to that

if it is 1280x768 set ot to that!!

Send me a link to your TV and i can tell you more

how are you using VGA cable? do you have a VGA port?

For some reason it doesnt say your TV has progressive scan, which helps or stops blurring and ghosting. Although if your TV supports PC input it should really be ok, just set your settings to 1366x768, because no matter what you do this will be your best picture!!!

Empire Direct dont seem to have much info on your TV but a TV of that price and baring in mind it is Toshiba, it should have pregressive scan

in fact dont worry!! your TV does have prgressive scan, i checked it on another site!! all i can think of is that it must be a faulty VGA cable because, I use a VGA cable and a VGA-DVI adapter, and my picture is better that component

JamieBee

michaelT1888 said:
in fact dont worry!! your TV does have prgressive scan, i checked it on another site!! all i can think of is that it must be a faulty VGA cable because, I use a VGA cable and a VGA-DVI adapter, and my picture is better that component

I have spent about half an hour fiddling around with the settings. I found the PC settings - clock phase didn't seem to do anything when I adjusted it and sampling clock stretched the screen inward or outward but did not make the text on the dashboard any sharper.

My manual says the VGA res is 640x480, SVGA 800x600 and XGA 1024x768. I am not sure whether this will help ? But then saying that, the spec on the Empire Direct site says it can do 1366x768. All a bit confusing.

Again, I notice it most when it flashes up at the bottom of the screen that for example, I have signed in, so and so wants to play etc etc. The text is blurry. Plus the menus are not crystal clear in general (the friends list for example).

Someone else up above has noticed the same prob who has the same TV too. Hmm....

If this TV you have has certain 'VGA' resolutions, then it means when you use the PC mode(which you use for 360 when you use VGA) then that may be your problem. Your TV definetley has a maximum native res of 1366x768. I have never heard of a TV that changes native res when you switch it to PC mode, but if this is the case then it may be your problem.

If your manual is correct and this best resolution that it suggests for VGA is 1024x768 then set it to that on the dashboard!!!! this is most likely your problem, although it may still be a faulty VGA cable because my TV has a Native res of 1280x768 and when i switch it to pc mode and use my 360 on theis mode using VGA and the setting of 1280x768 my picture is great

If you phone microsoft and tell them your microsoft VGA cable is faulty they will send you a new one. Make up a story like you have a third party VGA cable and that works fine, but you bought a microsoft one because you thought it would be beter and now it isnt working at all. They will send you a new one and probably ask you to give your 'broken' to the delivery man!! it will work, they did it with my controller that i dropped down the stairs and broke myself.

nick501

Distinguished Member
i reckon you're sitting too close to the screen. i'd say you need to be at least 2metres away. should look sharp then. mines fuzzy close up too.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
hold on hold on, your barking up the wrong tree. those resolutions in the manual are just stating standard pc resolutions that the tv supports. my manual says the same. your tv will support 1366x768 so select that.

i noticed after last nights dashboard update it didnt do the blurry thing with the sign in prompts that i mentioned before.

if you can hook up a pc to the tv and set its resolution to 1360x768

JamieBee

JagoPlasma said:
hold on hold on, your barking up the wrong tree. those resolutions in the manual are just stating standard pc resolutions that the tv supports. my manual says the same. your tv will support 1366x768 so select that.

i noticed after last nights dashboard update it didnt do the blurry thing with the sign in prompts that i mentioned before.

if you can hook up a pc to the tv and set its resolution to 1360x768

So are your prompts that appear at bottom middle of the screen telling you ppl are online etc blurry and are not now as that is where I notice it most ? I thought that dashboard update was something to do with future games ?

I am abit confused by the resolutions - what is the difference between VGA, SVGA, XVGA and WXVGA ? Is the WXVGA 1366x768 the one that is relevant to my 360 ?

I have just asked in Game and they will change the lead so I will try that next week.

I don't think it makes a difference the fact that I am using a VGA switch box. I connected the 360 direct to telly and took away the box - it didn't help.

wiganite

Novice Member
Jamiebee,I'll post you some pictures of my dashboard, like i said got the same tv but the joytech VGA cable and the pic is fantastic

wiganite

Novice Member
Here's the resolution I use and also a close up of my dash...excuse the dodgy background!!!!!

Attachments

• screen1.JPG
    screen1.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 128
  • screen2.JPG
    screen2.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 129

cmspodwy

I've been using the Toshiba 32WL56 with Xbox 360 connected directly to the VGA socket using the Joytech VGA lead. I'm running at 1360x768 and am very happy with how things are running. All the menus and graphics are sharp too.

All I can suggest is that your cables are the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021