1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone unhappy with their 36" Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    After having many problems with my Sony KV36FS70, I am starting to think about changing it for the Toshiba.

I will miss the Picture-And-Picture modes of the Sony, but thats about it.

But I have to admit to being worried over the number of posts I have seen here about the 'brightness' problems on the Toshiba.

I have a few questions.

1. Can you assign an AV input to a channel number. i.e Channel 0 = AV1

2. Is the geometery OK in general (The Sonys are known to be problematic)

Does anyone have any good or bad feedback on the TV in general which will help me decide what to do.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv`e had the 36KVFS70 for about 4 months now and i`m 99% happy with it. Goemetry on my set is very very good, the sony has a few very good features on it. RGB ADJUST(positions picture to centre of the screen) PICTURE TILT (reverses the effects of the earths magnetic field). Brightness & contrast are 10/10. I looked at many tv`s but personally i could not find one that suited me better. I`m very happy. Sorry to hear you have had a few problems with yours i must have got that one in a million set. Before the sony i tried the 36inch hitachi geometry was very poor, had to keep it set on 50hz progresive scan coz 100hz was unwatchable, that soon went back. Now a days it`s more luck of the draw when you switch your new set on, have i good or a dud one, and if engineers can come round and put right the problems that are at fault, poor geometry etc why can`t they spend a little more time setting them up at the factory. You only have to look in currys, some of the sets there are, well crap, never seen a straight line. I say to them that are, that all sets are within a certain tolerence when leaving the factory is HOG WASH. I seemed to have strayed a bit but i feel better for it. Good luck in choosing your new set.
    :cool:

[ 16-10-2001: Message edited by: bob007 ]

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    Thanks for the info.

I took my Dreamcast to Currys where they have the Toshiba and Sony 36" models.

As the DC gives a very pure RGB signal with simplistic text and graphics, its very easy to see geometry and staining problems.

The Geometry of the Tosh was pretty good... But when there is a white screen, it had patches of light blue which I know would p**s me off, if it was a problem on all models.

I also saw something disturbing when I had thick red text on a black background.

To the left of the text, the red 'spilled' over and there wasn't a definate 'edge' to it.

In defence, the TV was poorly setup and there colour was too high.

But, from what I have seen, I think that I will stick with the Sony.

As always, thanks for your help.

best regards

Jon

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Jon,

I've got the 36" Tosh, and on the whole, I'm happy with it.

As far as I know, you can't assign an AV input to a channel (anyone able to confirm?)

The geometry isn't perfect. Mine is still a little higher bottom left against bottom right, despite an engineer having been out to try to fix it. The problem is that the top IS straight, and all he could do is rotate the entire screen. Having said that though, I only ever notice it when the sky banner comes up.

This seems to be a common problem on large CRT displays though, as almost everyone with a 36"+ seems to suffer from it to some degree.

In my opinion, the plus points for the TV are:
    - excellent picture (from a digital source)
    - looks good
    - included speakers are OK
    - easy to use remote/ menus etc
    - reasonably good stretch mode (superlive)
    - component inputs
    - Dolby Digital 5.1

(although ignore the sound-related god points if you're using to a seperate amp)

and the bad points ...
    - vertical bars visble at each end of the screen (but only against very light backgrounds)
    - picture from analogue tuner is not very good (overexposed)
    - occasional 'dirty' effect on screen
    - slight blu-ish patch at one corner of the screen
    - slight screen tilt

Most of these bad points are only noticeable under certain conditions. At first, I noticed them all the time, because I was looking for them, but I don't seem to notice them as much now.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more information.

Nigel.