Is anyone the owner of a panasonic DMRHS2 or Tosh RD-X1

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
Can you place a review in this forum? and are there any sources of info on the web in english? Panasonic dont seem interested in advertising their own products except in america where the information isnt helpful and Toshiba points to a badly translated japanese page.

I am particularly interested if there are any synergies in having the HD recorder and DVD writer in one unit as opposed to buying two seperate units such as DMR E20 and Tivo, the costs of either are comparable and biying seperate is less of a replacement risk!!!

Are there any other combos, ive heard JVC is making one, anyoneknow if this is true and what price/features will be offered.

I AM going to buy this machine (the Panasonic) when it's released - it sounds amazing. The advantage of having a HDD/DVD-RAM combo is you get the benefits of the DVD-RAM format (e.g. precision editing) coupled with the ability to convert from the .VRO format into the universally compatible DVD-R (DVD-Video) format WITHOUT re-encoding! A DMRE20/30 and Tivo would NOT be able to do this.

There is a brief first look in the current Home Cinema Choice if your interested. Looks like it's going to be around £850 - not bad for what your getting. It even looks nice :D

On price runner it looks like a few people are selling itnow (eg unbeatable), or is that an advance order thing, is it simply not available here till september

Im looking at it from the pioint of view that I make video CDs of home movies.

I have DVD RAM on the PC (but not DVDR). Will I be able to download the original video footage to the PC. Edit it with Mediastudio pro. Encode it in an appropriate format, then simply transfer to HS2 via DVD RAM, copy to HD and then burn a DVD R. I know I could do this by buying a DVD RAM drive with DVD R, but im also after a VCR equivelent as my VCR passed away recently.

I read that the Tosh RD-X1 was the first HD/DVDRAM combo and its japans best selling digital PVR so this combination looks set to be a winner! Ive also read but cant remember where that JVC are producing one this year so maybe with a bit of competition that price may fall a little.

It's just a pity that neither of these machines support DVD-RW.

My dream machine is one that has a built-in hard drive and where you can transfer material to either DVD-R or DVD-RW.

Pity there's nothing like this at present, or even on the horizon.

Desk

Give it a couple of years! I think Toshiba panasonic and JVC are all signed up to DVD Multi which includes DVD RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R

It's just a pity that neither of these machines support DVD-RW.
I'm surprised my how few DVD-RW are on the market at the moment - as far as I'm aware it's only the one expensive Pioneer isn't it? Still as Nunew says give it time - DVD Multi requires that a DVD Recorder with it's logo must record to DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RAM - so a HDD/DVD-Multi combo can't be that far off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom