Is anyone getting 1080P??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarkL, Jan 18, 2008.

1. MarkL

MarkL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Being the proud owner of a Barco 1209, I thought I would set up my HTPC for HD (Blu-ray and sky) I thought it would be just a matter of a new graphics card and a blu-ray player and away you go.:)

Not so fast I hear you say. So far I have managed to waste £250 on a player and a 2600XT graphics card which green-screens in XP (no fix avalaible at this time apparently!):suicide:

So what I need to know is: Who has 1080P running successfully and what did you have to do to achieve it? I am willing to go the HTPC route or via a scaler. Just as long as it works.....:cool:

kind regards to all

Mark

2. barcoed

barcoed
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm using a basic 100 quid Pioneer dvd into an old Lumagen vision pro scaler and a Sony G70.
    I'm very happy indeed running at 1152P/50
    I would avoid HTPC because I want to sit down and watch a film - not fiddle every five minutes because something's 'changed'

3. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Barco 1209

The cheapest option is to run 1080p60 from your "stand alone HD DVD/Blur player" into an "HD Fury"

On a 1209 you should run into port3 (9 pin D)

On a 1209s you should run into port5 (5 x BNC RGBHV)

The HD Fury comes with options so you pick the one to suit your PJ.

Of course you can use the HD Fury with a HTPC as well.

I am NOT upto speed on HD HDPC's at the mo, as I understand you can run "NON HDCP compliant" devices with a HD HTPC.

What you are meant to have is HDCP graphics card etc. In reality this is no longer required , Power DVD HD & Anydvd HD are as I understand a good option - BUT for HTPC maybe the PC forum is your better bet.

There are other options but on a 1209 I think the above is the best.

4. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    OH!

The really really good news is that expensive 1080i to 1080p scalers are no longer required !!!

In the last year 1080p24 has been made more available from Stand Alone HD players.

This means you only need a scaler to increase refresh rate.

I have not looked into this but it might mean that a Crystallio ONE (about £4-500 secnd hand) is all that is required and NOT a Crystallio II (£1500 second hand) of 1000's new :eek:.

Its rather wierd how the "digital revolution" seems to take steps backward that give a better solution than the steps forward.........

5. MarkL

MarkL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys!

Helps me a lot - sometimes the more you read on different forums the more confused you get - there's so much info out there.

I hadn't thought of a stand-alone player with a relatively cheap scaler as a possibility - time to do some trawling on the internet!

If I introduced sky HD, would that need to go through a scaler or would that connect to the HD-fury as well?

cheers

Mark

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Interesting.

I'm currently trying out an HD-Fury on my 1609s (into port 3). Using a PS3 at 1080p/60 I get a fantastic picture, but trying to run 1080p/60 from an HD-DVD player I either get no picture at all, or just very dark. (its also the same with my MB100 media box)

At the moment, the most sucessfull route for the HD DVD & MB is 1080i component into port 5. I'd like to know why the PS3 works and the others dont. Its the same frequency afterall. :confused: If anybody else has any experience with this I'd be interested.

Rob.

7. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I get 1080p through a HDfury via my scaler the pq is stunning.

8. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I feed Sky HD via component o/ps, but HDMI via Fury owuld also work. A scaler is necessary, because proch timing on 50Hz HD are weird enough to screw most CRT PJs, so they need customising to something sensible.

9. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Hi There,

Using a HTPC with a BG808s, running at [email protected] and using an xbox HD-DVD drive without too much problem.

If you can run this refresh rate of your desktop, your viewing your desktop in 1080P.

I've yet to play with refresh rates, i used 72Hz as thats what i was using on DVD, i just selected the screen resolution and there the image was.

I'm runing VGA, a HD15 from my HTPC to a 5BNC breakout on port 5....Only thing extra i needed was AnyDVD-HD which fools PowerDVD 7.3.* into thinking my monitor (Barco) is HDCP.

AnyDVD has a trial so you can check if things work...I was getting sound but no picture initialy and the HDCP was the problem.....I belive with a HDFury you could go Graphics Card->HDMI->HDFURY->BARCO which would be a more legit way of doing it....Though in my case the cable runs are too long as HDMI is 2-3M IIRC....Dunno if this route would improve the PQ much.

I certainly get a *MUCH* sharper pic than upscaled DVD on a 101" 16:9 screen with HD-DVD's, though some are better than others...Bladerunner FC is panoramic splendor:D

cya,
    Lee

10. MarkL

MarkL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like an HD fury is a must either way!:)

It's certainly interesting trying to decide the best way to go when the technology isn't quite mature - in the past I've always ridden slightly "behind the wave" It's not like a choice between say 2 different DVD players is it? (I'll have that one 'cos it's silver) There's a bit more to it isn't there?:rolleyes:

Mediamogul/Barcoing mad : which scalers are you using?

Alaric : That must be a fairly beefy graphics card and CPU to run at 1080P72.
    Which ones have you got?

many thanks
    Mark

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Hi There,

Not really...Its a Athlon X2, 4400, so while not slow its also not cutting edge....Prior to that i had a 146 Opteron socket 939, so just swapped the processor....Cost 50ish 4-5months back.

The graphics is a Nvidia 8600GTS....The 8600 have hardware compensation for one of the codec from what i recall...I think i ended up with the GTS version as it was the cheapest i could find at the time via an Ebay odity...Was around the £120 mark again 4-5 months back.

Cya,
    Lee

12. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Mark - I use a Crystallio 2. I was PC based for a few years until HD came along. I needed something which could deinterlace 1080i, had plenty of inputs, and customise timings, gamma and so on for a CRT PJ.

13. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    On the back of the PJ should be a silver sticker.

Im 99% sure it will say "Chassis 51" on it, as well as build date , PJ type etc.

You should use PORT5 not port3 in that case, Early Barco units port3 was considered better, in later units the port5 video chain was much improved. Same for 1208s,1209s.

(Early 1200,1208,1209,1208/2,1209/2 then port3 is better)

The 1609s is as I understand a greatly reduced bandwidth unit, based on the 1209s. As I understand it is not meant to accept 1080p60.

The "media Box MB100" was in my opinion a terrible unit - not even a glorified file table, and streaming over the network was just a no no, even off the internal hard drive had issues. Maybe they have bettered the firmware but a networked dvd player seemed the much better option.

14. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I was also PC based until HD came along - But for me that was 18 months ago and in that time things in the PC world have moved forward considerably.

"Deinterlace 1080i" - Again a year ago this was a requirement for nearly all of us , Now players give out 1080p 24/60 so the expensive part of 1080i to p conversion is no longer top of the "wish list"

Pleanty of inputs have also moved on - upscale DVD players, HD DVD, Blu Ray, PS3, Sky HD? all are HDMI decives, so a HDMI switcher gives multi inputs

Not sure about the XBox360 I have vga&component on mine (Ive used it for about 4 hours in 12 months :eek:)

Timings - Scaler best way to change these, Although PC again is an option.

Gamma - this is an area I am still not totally sold on, I have done many hours of testing, A Barco has more control than a Marquee (1209s vs 9500LC Ultra), But im still not 100% sure that a gamma lift in the low values is required for increased black detail - Of course on a PC again this option is usually built in.

I am currently changing a few items in my cinema, for the front end kit a dual Blu/HD DVD pc will be given another go, I will keep some stand alone players to hand as well!

The one issue with PC's was always stability, Now with HD players and firmware updates the 100% stable old faithful DVD player is no more :thumbsdow, HD DVD was pretty much a 100% complete format on arrival to the market, Blu ray however is still going through the growing up stages and so I would think the next year will still have stability issues , followed by compatibility issues with new profiles.

So the PC does again appear to be a viable option.

15. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Hi There,

There are three big advantages for a PC in a HD world and one disadvantage in my mind.

Good
    1.) Refresh Rates - 24frames, 48, 72, anything is posible and almost anything inbetween

2.) Upgradeability - You can increase the horse power, upgrade the graphics, upgrade the software. Things are usualy reasonably cheap to upgrade and you throw little away. BluRay 1.1, 2.0 all will come to a PC, some take a little time, but they will come.

3.) Region free - For DVD, HDDVD & BluRay given the right software, and give different releases and studios around the world its bigger than you may think.

Bad
    1.) HD Audio - At the moment the software is seeming to downmix, even on analogue and there isn't yet a viable working HDMI soundcard solution - Also the software doesn't give any control on analogue outs in regards to bass management, chanel volume and distance settings - Its on your amp for SPDIF, its in analogue out DVD players....There is an argument it should be the sound card manufacturers (And a couple do) but i'd have said it should be in the software.

Stability and Userfriendlyness are also in some cases arguable....But some standalones arn't so stable and some PC's are, and some standalones have naff and slow loadning interfaces....'least with a PC you can customise it if you don't like it.

Cya,
    Lee

16. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Mr H,

Yes, it does indeed have a silver sticker with chassis 51 on. Its not a standard 1609s though. It has different backend boards as well as tubes, lenses, colour filters and other stuff which I can't remember now. Its an odd projector anyway!

It doesn't have a problem with 1080p/60 which I think comes out at around 67Khz (standard 1609s max out at about 59 I think) It looks fabulous anyway.

I tried using port 5 with the HD Fury (I bought all 3 cables), but couldn't get any picture at all. It has an HDTV board fitted on port 5, whether its anything to do with this or not, I don't know. At the moment I'm running a component swich box to this for my HD DVD/ Sky HD & MB100 which works well.

Rob.

17. MarkL

MarkL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the info everybody.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 completely different solutions.:)

1. HTPC via HDMI + HD fury to the projector (8800GTS card and a suitably swift CPU, blu-ray player)

2.Scaler - save up and push the boat out for a crystallio2 or a lumagenXD

If the picture is equally good with both methods I think I would favour the HTPC purely on a cost basis and put up with the faff of setting the thing up properly.(I suppose if we didn't enjoy a challenge we wouldn't be here!)

But if scalers give a better picture, (do they?)things are going to get a bit more costly

18. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you use AnyDVDHD you can lose the HDFURY in option 1 and save a hundred smackers. Do a search on threads started by me and find one that was about quality VGA leads and the marvelous (but mad) Mr. H provided a link to company that would provide a DVI - > 5BNC cable that could connect your PC direct to port 5 of your Barco. Voila! Instant 1080p 47.952hz straight into your PJ. AnyDVDHD kicks the need for HDMI in to touch and you'd want it anyway for it's ability to use multi-region disks.