1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone familiar with Magix Movie Edit PRo?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by tonyjeffs, Mar 10, 2005.

1. tonyjeffs

tonyjeffs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the above. It has loads of features, multi-tracking, overlay, fade from one to the other, zoom, change colours, noise reduction, audio noise reduction, etc etc etc. And it is very easy to use.
    It is very intuitive, and to get started you hardly need look at the instructions.
    ..But I'm having trouble with the final stage, creating a quality movie DVD.

My first attempt worked fine, sort-of. The weaknesses in the product such as pixellation type errors were entirely due to my over-editing; primarily too much zoom throughout.
    2nd attempt, typical six hour wait while it renders; 'write to disk error'
    I'd changed some settings. Now it's writing Vob files that are too big for the iso standard, so it cant transfer to a video dvd.
    The instructions, help files, and video tutorials are great as an introduction, but they dont go into the fine detail, the multitude of setting options.

Has anyone got a detailed knowledge of this program? I got MMEP2004.
    Is MMEP2005 significantly better?

Generally, why does it take so long to create dvd files? 6 hours!
    My JVC below-tv recorder can create a dvd from the camera in real time.
    Why can't a computer program render an edited movie in real time?

I've made a straight copy of the camera tape onto a disk using the JVC below-tv recorder.
    Is there a way that during my editing I can simply retain the existing two original Vob files, but tag on an intro, and some closing credits in separate very short files? how would I do that?

I got the trial version of Ulead, but it doesn't have nearly as many features. I kinda think Magix is good, if I can get the hang of it!
    Thanks

Tony

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Welcome to the world of video editing and long waits . . . . .

Depending on the length of your movie, 6 hours doesn't sound too unreasonable. You have to bear in mind that every single frame of the movie has to be rendered. I don't know what settings there are in MMEP, but if you chose a constant bit rate for compression, this will be quicker than if you use a 2 pass variable bit rate (hope I'm not losing you here!).

Most of the budget end editing programs will automatically adjust the bit rate so that your movie will fit onto a DVD, but perhaps MMEP is an exception.

Other things which are advisable are, make sure you've plenty of free space and ideally, render your movie to a second hard drive that only contains video files, and run all your programs off the primary drive.

Finally, if possible, don't try and burn your DVD using MMEP. This goes with most programs. Render to disk, and then use something like Nero to burn the DVD - it's usually far more reliable.

I don't think there's any program that can directly edit VOB files. Some can now edit MPEG files, but I personally feel that it's best to just edit the AVI files. As far as your DVD Recorder creating a DVD in real time is concerned, I'd bet that the quality of the recorded movie won't be as good as a DVD produced (properly) on a PC.

If you still have problems, you can try other programs. I'd personally recommnd Sony's Vegas Movie Studio if you're on a budget, or Sony Vegas 5 if you're not!. You can download demos of both these programs here:-

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Trial:-
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=531

Sony Vegas 5 Trial:-
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=501