Is anyone else sick of people saying its expensive?

dave1de

To be honest I am getting sick and tired of people saying the PS3 is 'overpriced'

People on message boards and in 360 magazines all keep saying how expensive it is compared to the 360, but lets put it this way:

360 premium = £280
HD-DVD drive = £120 (although this is not confirmed, it could be more)
Wifi adapter - £50

Total = £450

Yes, £25 more than the ps3 (the ps3 includes an extra 40 gigs aswell)

I have a 360, I think it rocks, and I don't really plan on getting a PS3, but I am just sick of microsoft fan boys going on about how much of a rip off the ps3 is.

There, i've finally said it:D

WelshBluebird

I do agree with you, but I think the thing is, that if you don't want something (say wifi, or the HD drive) then with the Xbox 360 you don't have to buy it, but with the PS3, you do.

dave1de

Good point, however most of the people im talking about (the worst have to be from the Offical 360 mag) are those who are going on about how great HD DVD is, and how we wonderful the extras are. Yet these are the same people slamming the PS3, saying that anybody who wants to pay £425 for a "suped up dvd player" are nuts.

Crisp_Rapper

WelshBluebird said:
I do agree with you, but I think the thing is, that if you don't want something (say wifi, or the HD drive) then with the Xbox 360 you don't have to buy it, but with the PS3, you do.

^^ this basically. close the thread, we're done. kthxbi!

dannius

I remember paying over £400 for a Saturn about 9 years ago. Considering what is packed into a PS3 for £425 I don't think it's too bad.

Saying that I think the launch price of the 360 was very competitive compared to previous console launches. Hence no £50/£100 price drop the second you've got yours home.

I've been burnt like that before...........Cough.........N64!

dave1de

dannius said:
I remember paying over £400 for a Saturn about 9 years ago.

Yeah, its amazing how much stuff used to cost, you can pick one up on the bay for under a tenner now :rolleyes:

Eddy.

Banned
You certainly get what you pay for.

But the biggest moan is that people feel Sony are forcing things upon them that they don't really want or need.

The 360 is definately more flexible, although Sony have the advantage that developers can develop the games with next generation media and the hard drive in mind, whereas 360 developers cannot, because there are people without the hard drive and without the add-on drive.

dannius

dave1de said:
Yeah, its amazing how much stuff used to cost, you can pick one up on the bay for under a tenner now :rolleyes:

Yeah it's also funny how the launch price of new consoles has gone down in price over the years, but new software has generally gone up considerably.

Street Fighter II and Turok the notable exceptions of course!

Crovon

Distinguished Member
Eddy. said:
The 360 is definately more flexible, although Sony have the advantage that developers can develop the games with next generation media and the hard drive in mind, whereas 360 developers cannot, because there are people without the hard drive and without the add-on drive.

But developers will only be developing games for the 360 on DVD9 discs. The add on HD-DVD drive will be for movies only.

I also dont see the optional Hard drive as a developmental problem either. 99% of the games will just use the HDD for savegames, just like the past PS2 did with memory cards (the 360 also has this option). MS also estimate that everyone will eventually have/want to have the HDD anyway which the developers would know.

So Sony do not have any advantages with developers over MS. I would say moreso MS do, as not all developers in the PS3 camp have recieved their development kits from Sony.

Kahled

Well label me the fan boy if you will but I do believe the PS3 has a pricing structure that I consider a rip-off, and it is precisely because of that pricing that I will be missing out on the first launch console in a long time. Yes I do have a 360 but before you go waving the MS fan boy tired diatribe you should also consider that I have owned, and still own, most of the consoles released since the start of home console gaming (hey I even have working ZX81 and ZX48k's tucked away).

The hardware in the PS3 is damn impressive, its cell processor more than anything else is of interest.

BR/HD-DVD I dont really give a toss about just yet and will be waiting for which way the market jumps rather than get stitched up. So the HD-DVD drive price or the perceived value added for the BR in the PS3 is not an expendiature I am prepared to make yet, at least with MS I have the choice when and if I will jump. I actually kind of resent being forced to adopt one standard which is quite frankly unnecessary for a games console, to me with my current life status it would be akin to being forced to pay an extra couple of hundred quid on a new car for kids seats and be about as much use.

The Wi-Fi certainly is not in the equation as quite frankly the performance is too poor for gaming, maybe it will be better on the PS3 with some kind of speed booster (?no idea?) but I think most gamers will inevitably end up with the PS3 hardwired (if the online system turns out to be any cop)

In terms of console releases in the past the price is not bad, I paid about that for my original XBox console and close with some others. But that is looking back through the history of gaming and covering off 20 odd years, the problem lies closer to the present though and the source of the feeling of being ripped off if Sony expects me to pay £425 for a console now before I even start on games.

Money is not the problem (hell I just recently bought a near two grand TV cash) as such but rather the perception of the money and what it is buying. In the last 12-14 months I have bought a PSP (okay that was a mistake in hindsight)(+7 games), a XBox 360 (hey I enjoy games and so like getting the new toys, and I am open minded enough to not foolishly negate a console purely because it carries the Microsoft brand name :rolleyes: )(+12 games), when launched here I bought a DS Lite(+11 games), and in the next six months I will be buying a Wii. But all of those are a hell of a lot cheaper than the release price of the PS3 and as such when you compare the PS3 and what you will get from it compared to all those other purchases in recent times, and those to come, it is perceived as overpriced and as such a rip-off to me. If it had been the same price as a 360 I would not have given it a second thought and had my name down for pre-order, but it's not.

In time there is little (I will not say 'no') doubt I will have a PS3 but while the price still stands as what I consider a rip-off then no, I will wait until it seems good value whether that is one year or three years. At the moment the 360 and the PS3 are looking to be pretty similar in overall performance for gaming so with owning one there is certainly less value in buying the other, if I did not have the 360 then the PS3 might seem a bit less of a rip off but I would look at the price of the PS3 and the other consoles and still wonder why so much more and is it worth that?

It is certainly not difficult to understand where such comments are coming from and the cause of them, and contrary to the popular belief around here that it is only fan-boyism that ever says anything bad about the PS3 that is a gamers POV rather than a fan-boys :nono:

Eddy.

Banned
jimihifi said:
But developers will only be developing games for the 360 on DVD9 discs. The add on HD-DVD drive will be for movies only.

I also dont see the optional Hard drive as a developmental problem either. 99% of the games will just use the HDD for savegames, just like the past PS2 did with memory cards (the 360 also has this option). MS also estimate that everyone will eventually have/want to have the HDD anyway which the developers would know.

So Sony do not have any advantages with developers over MS. I would say moreso MS do, as not all developers in the PS3 camp have recieved their development kits from Sony.

Thats what I mean, Microsoft cannot consider developing games on next generation media like HD-DVD, whereas Sony Developers are developing games on Blu Ray discs. It may not make much of a difference nowadays, but in years to come when greater storage is required for games, Sony will have the advantage while Microsoft are stuck with DVD. Of course, I am thinking ahead here.

There is more to the hard drive than saving games. Developers will be encouraged to create downloadable content for individual games, knowing every PS3 owner will have access to it, whereas 360 developers know this will not be an option for all the 360 owners without a hard drive.

[email protected]

The PS3 is a GAMES CONSOLE!!!! The price of £400+ is for a console that can play games. It is totally irrelevant that it can play Bluray discs. You cant break it down like you have and claim it is good value, it simply is NOT.

Yes there may be the odd person who is happy to pay £25 for a high quality DVD and then play it on a games console and never see the real benefit but the majority of people dont give a toss about watching movies on it, they buy it to play games and the cost to everyone to play games on their sony games console will be in excess of £400.

It is seriously overpriced, simple as that.

Sheks

If the BD player in the PS3 comes close to rivaling a decent stand alone player then it is good value.

If it does not then £425 for a games console is too much IMO considering the price of the present and future competition. Simple.

Sony seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they make the BD in the PS3 too good they risk upsetting other manufacturers supporting the BD format, if they make it too poor then their console is over priced IMO.

sleepylaser

One of the exciting things (IMO) about taking a console into a new market is how you trip up people who used to buy your product, because their sense of value is out of synch with yours.

But there has always been a value range in electrical home entertainment stuff, it's just that this will be the first time it's happened with gaming consoles.

The ps3 looks like very good value to those people who want all those extras (increased hdd, wireless networking, cheap as chips BD drive). There's plenty of us in that group, but it's not the typical playstation demographic. And that's how Sony is risking it's immediate sales volume, but maybe it doesn't matter- there's plenty of AV manufacturers pumping out expensive high functionality devices elsewhere, and they're doing ok.

You can see how Microsoft's modular, scaleable approach works but it does mean added expense if you ultimately will want all the comparable functionality.

There's no doubt that sony will struggle to carry the playstation demographic over to the ps3, with the typical values it used to hold. But that's not to say there isn't a market for the ps3.

Personally I'd rather they kept all the functionality, than lower the price.

drskhaled

It is getting boring really, but still people blather on about how expensive it is. sony are not profitting from the machine itself so even at 425 youre getting it cheap. I admit the 360 is a bargain in comparison purely as a console, the wii will be even more of a bargain. Look for the first time in ages the market will have a wide range of consoles with varying price points, more choice for everyone.

DarkEntity

drskhaled said:
It is getting boring really, but still people blather on about how expensive it is. sony are not profitting from the machine itself so even at 425 youre getting it cheap.

Hahahaha that made me laugh, you should record that and play it at a comedy show....hahahaha

tscotsman

the one down side of all PS3 games coming on Blu-ray discs is they will be more expensive than 360 games. Dont fancy paying £50-60 for a PS3 game. Of course its only a matter of time before its hacked and people are copying the games. Im waiting till the PS3 drops in price.

At Xmas Im buying Gears of War, Forza 2, Dead Rising and the HD-DVD addon instead of the PS3

dannius

tscotsman said:
the one down side of all PS3 games coming on Blu-ray discs is they will be more expensive than 360 games. Dont fancy paying £50-60 for a PS3 game.

The cost of the actual disc will make very little difference to the retail price of a game, it'll be the spiralling cost of next gen development that will make PS3 (and 360) games more expensive than current gen.

redmarkred

I don't want a Blu-Ray player! I want a games console! It's way to expensive for a games console so there's no way i'm buying one. :thumbsdow

rik1471

Sony's attempt to launch yet another proprietary format will go the same route as all the other attempts I suspect (Betamax, Minidisc, HiFD, Super Audio CD, UMD etc.).

The fact that they're forcing me, the potential PS3 owner, to buy in to their next attempt to launch a proprietary format does not sit well with me at all.

jay_brown55

Does anyone remember the PS2 launch?

300 quid and it had a woefully bad DVD drive.

Still sold bucketloads, hit the '100 million units' mark in record time and outsold Xbox by miles.

Let's not write it off just yet.

Yes it is expensive, but it's not overpriced for what you get. If you don't want HDD, Wi-Fi, HDMI, Blue-Ray, go and buy something just for games (Xbox360 core for example). Games consoles have moved on from just being something to play games on.

Before I get shot down for being a 'Sony Fanboy', I own an Xbox, Xbox360, PSP, GBA and Gamecube. I will more than likely get a PS3 as I want the technology and I don't mind the price.

triplea4uk

jay_brown55 said:
Does anyone remember the PS2 launch?

300 quid and it had a woefully bad DVD drive.

Still sold bucketloads, hit the '100 million units' mark in record time and outsold Xbox by miles.

Let's not write it off just yet.

Yes it is expensive, but it's not overpriced for what you get. If you don't want HDD, Wi-Fi, HDMI, Blue-Ray, go and buy something just for games (Xbox360 core for example). Games consoles have moved on from just being something to play games on.

Before I get shot down for being a 'Sony Fanboy', I own an Xbox, Xbox360, PSP, GBA and Gamecube. I will more than likely get a PS3 as I want the technology and I don't mind the price.

I think you forget PS2 came out over a year before XB

I think the point is people should have the option for all that extra stuff not be forced to have to have it.

Because what your saying is because they dont want the blu-ray and wifi then they have to miss out on a PS3 NO thats wrong everyone should have the right to pick the one they want.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers