1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone else hacked off with the

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Len, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    way the studios release a film with naff all on it. But you buy it because you like the film... and then they go and release some special edition of it so you end up buying it again.

Recent examples include:

The Rock [I have two copies]
    Seven [2 copies]
    Leon [3 copies]
    True Romance [2 copies]
    Armageddon [2 copies]

And now Spartacus is coming out in DTS.

Why not just do it right in the first place. Or do what they did with MIB and release all the copies at the same time so that you can make an informed choice.

Grrr!!!

2. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may want to check that, I heard they have dropped the dts off the criterion release...

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

3. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len

It's a marketing ploy most of the time, and the fact you have bought multiple copies shows it works.

If anyone says it isn't, then I point them to the whole Star Wars releases saga over the last decade and half. How many 're-mastered' versions????

Music industry does it too. I will concede though that some of the very early release can be forgiven for being released with all the gubbins as consumer expectations have moved on a bit since the featureless flipper days......

------------------
    "You're a big man but you're in bad shape and I do this for a living, so behave yourself"

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len,
    I notice that you've 3 copies of leon. Now I'm guessing that one of those is the version with the faulty soundtrack,(no surround info) & one the revised version with full 5.1
    I had the faulty version originally, & thought that the picture quality was probably the best I'd seen - absolutely stunning. When I exchanged it for the revised version however, the sound is better, but the pic is now just 'average'. have you noticed this?

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popester, I just noticed your sig

"You're a big man but you're in bad shape and I do this for a living, so behave yourself"

Close..

"You're a big man, but you're out of shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself"

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes... I have two of the released versions... one surround and one 5.1 ... the 5.1 framing is different and the picture not as defined. However I was very pleased with the R1 [international uncut version.] both picture and sound were better.

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len,
    the discs I was referring to were the international uncut version. The first release had the 'flawed' soundtrack. The studio then re-released a new version with the sound re-mastered. (replaced free of charge) On this latest re-vision, the picture quality definitely seems to have suffered compared to the release with the dodgy soundtrack.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com