Is anyone else finding acheivements a bit pointless now?

Monkeyspoon

Ex Member
Reaction score
I've read that a few people who have a PS3 and X360 are buying the X360 version over the PS3 version of certain games mainly because of acheivements. I don't want this to turn into a PS3 slagging match like some threads turn into.

I have a few acheivements myself but I don't base my purchases on them. I've also been hearing cases of people buying a game they might not like but has easy acheivements like TNMT. To me thats crazy spending cash just to get a few points added to your score

The only constructive thing i can think of is that it can inspire you to do certain things like in Crackdown or can be used for bragging rights.

They can't be traded in for anything in the UK.

Does anyone else find them a bit pointless?

I dunno, you're on 10K gamer points, I guess they meant something to you at some point.

Depends on the game really as you say Crackdown has good achievements which i had fun attempting, also GRAW had some good online ones which i had a laugh getting with the lads on here.

I like going for achievements and building my score, but im not going to lose sleep over them, and im certainly not playing a game i dont like for them (im not made of money!)

Some poeple just love collecting stuff! look at pokemon and other stupid obsessions, gotta get em all!

Depends how you take them. All other things being equal, I would buy the 360 version because they have achievements yes. They are a nice addition to the game as thy give you goals to strive for and a conversation starter with mates. Quite often the 360 version is the one I'd want above all else as it has the best online service though (despite the fact I haven't got a PS3 yet).

I wouldn't deprive myself of the best version purely for achievements though, no.

its a good point mate! When researching the Xbox I read about this (dont have one yet - its on order) and always thought it was a bit daft! Surely the more games you play, the better your score anyway, so its not relevant for one particular game, therefore not a reflection on your gaming 'abilities', more a reflection on how much time one has on their hands. It would be good if it could be traded for things (although I was under the impression it could - better do my research again!) but yeah, i'm sort of with you on that one! Tis a bit daft. maybe someone knows the reasoning for it!

I know, at least once this 'home' thing is implemented the achievements will be shown as trophys in cabinets, for PS3 games. Although, on paper, as pointless as MS version of achievements, they should do something about it, as its a nicer way to display rewards, rather than just a number which doesnt mean anything!

Im well into my achievements and like i have stated before it adds new dimensions to the way in which i play my games. Great marketing strategy and one of the reasons why i think m$ will win this round of the console wars.

As for people buying games that are crap for points...its there money...i use rental sites for games that i know are crap but have easy points.

Talking of achievements any one seen the new halo 2 for the pc achievements?

I love the acheivements system. Its great fun and adds a bit of friendly competion between mates and friends on live. I would not buy a rubbish game to get them like King Kong or Fifa world cup or whatever. But they do for me add to the game exeprience. It encourages me to do things that I did not particulaly enjoy so much, like driving on Crackdown. So to answer the OP's question, IMHO, no they are not "pointless" BTW love the pun monkeyspoon!

I'm pretty sure that M$ are putting in some kind of prize system soon for the first ones to get certian achevements from games. If i found where i read it again i'll post it

I love the acheivements system. Its great fun and adds a bit of friendly competion between mates and friends on live. I would not buy a rubbish game to get them like King Kong or Fifa world cup or whatever. But they do for me add to the game exeprience. It encourages me to do things that I did not particulaly enjoy so much, like driving on Crackdown. So to answer the OP's question, IMHO, no they are not "pointless" BTW love the pun monkeyspoon!

I wondered if anyone would get that.

I dunno, you're on 10K gamer points, I guess they meant something to you at some point.

Um not really. I wouldnt say im the best gamer in the world but I am pretty good. I have a lot of games so my score is high mainly by completeing them and picking up acheivements along the way.

The only games I can think of that I have actually gone to a lot of trouble to get acheivements are Crackdown and Test Drive. Thats mainly because both can be really shallow unless you do extra stuff. Actually its required to get them in test drive to change rank and unlock stuff.

The US had some sort of insentive to collect them and unlock prizes. I wish you could trade them in for marketplace points. It could be like if you do really well in a game and get Jetpack Refueled for free etc.

Is there actually a point to achivements, ie prizes and such?

I've only had my 360 a fortnight now and cant see the point other than ranking status.

Found it....

And starting from February 10 the first trial run of this system will commence, in the US only for now, offering some $500,000 worth of prizes!

Sponsored by Old Spice (of Fathers Day fame...) those who sign up to the scheme will have until April 12 to increase their Gamerscore by 1500 points. If successful they will then receive a reward package that is split into 3 levels, each of which is dependant on their existing Gamerscore at the point of entry. These levels are;

* Level 1 (Gamers who have a gamerscore between 0-4,999 at time of entry): Game Picture, Dashboard theme, Contra for Xbox LIVE Arcade
* Level 2 (5,000-9,999 gamerscore at time of entry): Level 1 Package, 100 Microsoft Points and a contest T-shirt
* Level 3 (10,000+ gamerscore at time of entry): Level 1 Package, 200 Microsoft Points, contest T-shirt and Fusion Frenzy 2

So those who are entering already some 10,000 points to the good are set to recieve the biggest reward, but are handicapped in the sense that a new owner of an Xbox 360 can pick up 1500 points in 60 days more readily with some strategic rentals. *cough* EA *cough*

when i first got my 360 i want too fused about the achievements , but recently i have found myself trying to earn them a bit more as they can be quite fun if they are a bit of a challenge to earn.

The only games I can think of that I have actually gone to a lot of trouble to get acheivements are Crackdown and Test Drive. Thats mainly because both can be really shallow unless you do extra stuff. Actually its required to get them in test drive to change rank and unlock stuff.

The only achievements I'm bothered with are TDU - m u s t ... g e t ... t o .. c h a m p i o n, and COD3 Veteran. Getting purple heart achievement for dying in the same place was funny too.

Achievements are all about how you're doing against your friends - and it's a great way of seeing which games they're "into" by how many achievements they've unlocked.

Some people are obsessives and can't get rid of the game until they've done all of them.. but they are the same people who have their CD collection in alphabetical order and iron their underpants. Don't mean they're bad people :)

As for HOME and a virtual trophy cabinet, nothing will make your mates think you are a very very sad person, than "taking them" to your "virtual home" and showing them your "virtual trophies". Am I the only person to think that really sucks? Maybe I've played WOW too much and have been desensitised to the MMO experience.

I still find the achievements part and parcel of a 360 game. Depends on how well they're done mind, if done properly it certainly improves the game no end. Gamer points on the other hand are pretty pointless unless you're comparing like for like which is almost impossible or just a points whore who has to have every point in the known universe. Even the import games. My points score that i've got means absolutely nothing to me tbh, hitting 10k might get a one-man mexican wave but nothing more.

I don't see them as the be all and end all but anything that extends te life of a game or makes something more fun can only be a good thing IMO.

People moan games are too short and I think this is a novel way of getting round that.

When I got my X360 all my friends had the same games and we used to compare all the time. Now I dont even check my score. A friend had to tell me I broke 10K. Most of the time when I hear the earned acheivement sound I dont even know what its for. I def dont pause the game to find out.

Achievement points are definitely one of the things I look to get out of a game, aside from the obvious aim of the game. I don't use it as a certain form of willy-waving that's for sure. If you can find ways of achieving a goal in the game you can often find different ways to play your game. You may think your way is best, but then you stumble on something which will lead you to achieving an achievement and your gaming experience changes...

It's all good, in my book!

A few months ago I was wanting as many achievements as possible, but then realised I was doing mundane tasks I didn't enjoy doing in order to get them.

If I don't have to go too far out of my way to get an achievement, I'll go for it, but if it's something stupid (like killing 300,000,000,000 zombies in Dead Rising), forget it.

I'd much rather just play through a game as I want to and go "oo, I got an achievement for that".

I think too many achievements are multiplayer related now though, which are often the mundane type of task, like getting so many points in COD3.. I just can't be bothered, I'll play it as much as I want to, while I'm enjoying it. If your gamerscore gave you some freebies every so often, I'd try and get them a bit more.

I must admit I like the achievements too but don't see any relevance in the Gamer Score (which I'm guessing is based on achievement points).

Achievements add extra longevity and a replay factor to games. They give me a reason to play through again in order to get them all however I don't see them as being a MS or 360 thing. To me they're just something I see in the same light as secret areas or extra missions/weapons or whatnot that many games have done in the past.

There is no doubt achievements (and gamer scores) will continue to grow in scope; after all, most males can't resist a bit of willy-waving. And that's all "public" achievements are, just another means for people to compete.

However, whilst I like achievements and look forward to them, I would prefer more hidden and locked content in games. Sometimes achievements do seem like a "cop out" to compensate for a lack of bonus content.

Like the achievemnts myself.
Although i wont go and play through a game twice to get certain achievements , that IS pointless.
Some games , you do get that satisfaction of the "beep" and others its just pointless , EA springs to mind.

A few months ago I was wanting as many achievements as possible, but then realised I was doing mundane tasks I didn't enjoy doing in order to get them.

If I don't have to go too far out of my way to get an achievement, I'll go for it, but if it's something stupid (like killing 300,000,000,000 zombies in Dead Rising), forget it.

I'd much rather just play through a game as I want to and go "oo, I got an achievement for that".

I think too many achievements are multiplayer related now though, which are often the mundane type of task, like getting so many points in COD3.. I just can't be bothered, I'll play it as much as I want to, while I'm enjoying it.

I like the acheivements you get through skill not the ones that show how little a life you have. I wouldnt have the time to play 10,000 ranked matches in Perfect Dark etc. But acheivements like 25 love matches in virtua tennis 3 or fastest serve etc take some skill. Not everyone can achieve them. Even my nan could play 10,000 ranked matches of PD0. All it takes is time and no life.

i like them, i enjoy the challenge of getting them even if some of them can be gotten cheaply. As for choosing the 360 version of a game over the PS3 version i wouldn't do it purely for achievement points, the online facility in the game would have to be considered and then there is the control pad issue with the PS3 so atm any cross platform game that is released i would get on 360 over PS3

I like the GS system. IMHO it gives alot of *self* satisfaction seeing the 'achievement unlocked' icon appear. especially if you've been 'going for' something ie platinum champ on PGR 3 or Extreme Soldier on Lost Planet.

I'd like to see the option of getting the full points offline.

I'd also like them to make some of the achievements actually achieveable!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom