Is anyone considering a PS3 ?

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love my Xbox360 when the live side is working properly - every game I've got suffers with lag except PGR (i.e. Tiger Woods, COD, GRAW).
I owned the Xbox1 but never went live, so this is the first time of going on line and what a disappointment - luckily, thanks to Saltire, X2tall and a couple of others who have hosted, there has been some very good games, if only it was like that all of the time...
Microsoft have got until the release of the PS3 to sort the lag issues out or they will lose a customer (I am not trying to be contriversal, just saying what I think)

Hi m8, i think you will find the lag issues have very little to do with Microsoft and their live. COD2 has problems form bad programming but everything is mainly due to the wrong people hosting. Ive most live enabled games and only get lag if the host has a low internet connection. Same can be said of the first xbox. THe xbox live service is the best around.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 does have issues with lag, game clipping and the odd disc cracking with machines but every new product has issues. Microsoft for one are aware of alot of the problems and are sorting them out in the form of patches and updates.

From what people have said, XBOX LIVE is great and i would be surprised if SONY and the PS3 come close or produced anything better. Going by the PS2it could be the PS3 that has the issues with lag issues

Will def be getting one mate. Purley for the mix if games (the best of both worlds).

Dont get me wrong I love the 360 but I have a feeling that the PS3 will have more quality games developed for it. I have a friend who is marketing manager for Sony and he seems to think that the on-line side of things will be pretty similar to Xbox live.

I have the PS2 and xbox (as well as pretty much every console ever made) but I think the Xbox was let down buy the lack of quality of games. (I am impressed by the 'coming soon' line-up for the 360 and Fight Night 3 is one of the best 2 player games I have ever played:thumbsup: , so it's looking much better this time round:smashin: ).

Hi mate - I was under the impression that all Xbox live games would run smoothly on half meg (what were the lag issues like with dial-up on Xbox1 ?)

You couldnt use dial up for xbox live on the original xbox it was broadband only.

Hahahahaha

not scheduled until 2007 and with a price tag of nearly double the 360 lmao

Sony need to make it do a HELL of a lot more than the 360 for me to even look at it at that price.

in answer to the question.... NO!

unless the bring out halo3 on it and its better than the 360...

and anyway its nearer to next christmas than it is to release day for this ps3 thing!

Should rename this thread...what you getting for christmas this year... oh and are you gonna look at the ps3 WHEN its finnally released!:hiya:

DarkEntity said:
Hahahahaha

not scheduled until 2007 and with a price tag of nearly double the 360 lmao

Sony need to make it do a HELL of a lot more than the 360 for me to even look at it at that price.

wtf? Talk about a fanboy!

Sony have said that they are planning to release (probably just japan) in Spring 2006 - which gives them until June, and while this may seem unlikely, even if they don't make june, I doubt they would let the 360 have two christmases out without competiton.
And 2nd, there has been no price tag said. All has been said is rumers, and an article by financial "expert's" who apparatlally cannot add up. All we have heard from sony are hints they want to release the PS3 for the same price as the PS1 and PS2 went on sale for - £299.

Definately getting a PS3. :)

WelshBluebird said:
wtf? Talk about a fanboy!

Sony have said that they are planning to release (probably just japan) in Spring 2006 - which gives them until June, and while this may seem unlikely, even if they don't make june, I doubt they would let the 360 have two christmases out without competiton.

its costing them $900 to make, thats fact.

theres been no working console at any of the expos.

june is 2.5 months away. do you really think they will hit this?

We're already in Spring and June is the beginning of summer. No news in Japan. Spring release did you say?

signs said:
sorry michael what does imao mean?

lmao = Laugh my ass off. :)

Do only reason I would get one is to have a cheap Blu-Ray player. As far as the gaming experience goes XBOX Live can't be beat.

Vini - the $900 is not a fact. it was speculation based on what they thought sony would have to pay for each component - so it is not fact.
Also, if you go and re - read the original Merrill Lynch article, you'll see the componants add up to $800, not the $900 they claim - so whoever they are, they cannot add up - so that takes the credibilty out of it for me.

and to Starfleets and Vini about the release date - I never said they would hit it, I said they were planning to.

WelshBluebird said:
Sony have said that they are planning to release (probably just japan) in Spring 2006

I also did say they are unlikely to make the release date, but even you two must admit, not even Sony will be stupid enough to not release at least in japan and the USA before Xmas, as this will give MS such a sales boost, sony probably would not be able to catch up.

I was defintately gonna be getting a PS3, but I'm now quite contempt with my 360.

I must say not all games seem to have online lag, and I believe it can only get better with patches and the broardband speed going up soon (think with bt it is meant to be 31st of march, lots happening on the 31st aint there?)

I will first see what games are gonna be released fot the PS3, as I dont particuarly want to buy a console that has exactly the same games released for it as one I already own

tris

WelshBluebird said:
Vini - the $900 is not a fact. it was speculation based on what they thought sony would have to pay for each component - so it is not fact.
Also, if you go and re - read the original Merrill Lynch article, you'll see the componants add up to $800, not the $900 they claim - so whoever they are, they cannot add up - so that takes the credibilty out of it for me.

and to Starfleets and Vini about the release date - I never said they would hit it, I said they were planning to.

I also did say they are unlikely to make the release date, but even you two must admit, not even Sony will be stupid enough to not release at least in japan and the USA before Xmas, as this will give MS such a sales boost, sony probably would not be able to catch up.

Lost credibilty. Yep, someone made a human error and ML have lost their credibility now. The article is all fake, it wasn't $800, it must hav beeen $80! Please, how can you even say that? It sounds what a Sony fanboy would say to make up some desperate claim of hope to the price. ML are in a better position than you and i and others to research the costs of the hardware, all we have is speculation and rumours. Who are we to say bad news (for some sony fans) is fake, and good news is fact?

About the release. One day in Japan a kid will wake up and look for info on the PS3. No info. He goes to bed, next day PS3 posters everywhere. Sounds odd don't it?

Sony are using their brand name to buy themselves more time with consumers, promising them this and that. I wanted the PS3 but decided not to wait 6 months.

I'll definitely be getting one.

Having said that, there's absolutely no reason to assume that any PS3 online gaming will be any more lag-free than xbox Live. As mentioned before, it is predominantly down to the host's connection.

MS have got the technical know-how and resources to run the Live service as well as anyone in the world. Sony are nowhere near as experienced as MS in this area.

If you expect to buy a PS3 and get a lag-free gaming experience, I think you'll be dissapointed. I honestly can't see Sony getting anywhere near MS for performance or usability.

"Do only reason I would get one is to have a cheap Blu-Ray player."

I think you'll be disappointed, Banshee. The PS2 was a 'DVD player' - its playback quality was very poor. The XBOX was a 'DVD player' - it was better, but way short of a proper player. The 360's 'DVD player' is an improvement, but compared to a proper player it's still poor.
The PS3 is supposed to be a BluRay player, but Sony is not going to spend one penny more than necessary on it as the PS3 is already a money-pit. Does anyone believe that PS3 BluRay playback is going to be good - ie clean HD, like a dedicated £800 player? And if it isn't, what's the point of it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom