Is anyone bothered about the fan noise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just emailed them too - detailed my problem, gave them my serial, and told them what Dixons had said.

Hopefully we might get an exchange?

I once had a PowerMac G5 that had a similar issue with fans cranking up like this - it was fixed with a firmware download - maybe that's what we need here?

:confused:

the only problem i can see is that people seem to get exchanges , then find the new one has similar problems

who knows , maybe there's thousands of defective ps3's in the retailer chain ?

i just hope , like you , that it's a software solveable problem , i don't see why it shouldn't be doable

Mine is completely silent even after about 8 hours of constant F@H overnight (and even that is straight after watching a blu-ray film for over 2 hours)

I really do believe for the most part its how you site the ps3.

I know a few people on other sites had them in cabinets too tight to the sides of the ps3 therefore not allowing much air in the side - which is why the fans kick in faster/louder

Really hope you all get yours sorted

Mine is completely silent even after about 8 hours of constant F@H overnight (and even that is straight after watching a blu-ray film for over 2 hours)

I really do believe for the most part its how you site the ps3.

I know a few people on other sites had them in cabinets too tight to the sides of the ps3 therefore not allowing much air in the side - which is why the fans kick in faster/louder

Really hope you all get yours sorted

Yes that's true for some people - but mine is on an open glass shelf, not boxed in at all.

I think that there are a small percentage of faulty units with this serial range:

02-27430420-5367193

Attachments

• Photo-0208.jpg
    Photo-0208.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 148
i've got so much air around my ps3 it's daft

if it has problem with this , what on earth would happen if it was in an enclosed cabinet ?

Attachments

• ps3freespace.jpg
    ps3freespace.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
i've got so much air around my ps3 it's daft

if it has problem with this , what on earth would happen if it was in an enclosed cabinet ?

Exactly!

Look at this setup from Gedo.

I'm sure mine would burst into flames in that box!

ga-liv3.jpg

Sorry guys...but little of this is very objective or scientific, is it. Daerve posted some good shots taken with a TIC which shows a comparison between 360 & PS3 which were interesting..

....but there are some pertinent facts missing from all these posts. What, exactly, is your PS3 up to when the fans come on? Somebody said that their machine makes more noise when dispaying the XMB than it did 2 weeks ago. Could I ask, have you downloaded anything in that time, generating all those attractive animated icons for movies & games takes processing power. Try re-formatting the hard disc and resetting the box to the state it was in 2 weeks ago and repeat the test. What screen mode are you using? Has to require more processing to generate an HD output than an SD one for example. Also, if you've ever been inside a PC you probably know just how good they are at collecting crud on heatsinks (thus reducing colling efficiency). 2 weeks isn't long enough even in the most mucky of domestic environments....but it's bound to be a factor in the longer term.

Nobody has commented on ambient noise or temperatures either - both pertinent.

I'll try and remember to borrow the SPL meter from work next week and make some measurements on my PS3. I don't have a 360 so can't make comparisons to that, but I have found anything over speed 2 is a bit much in my own setup at home. I'm still playing with some fans to pull air through my AV cab so I can put the PS3 back behind glass. Speed 2 in open air is still a lot quieter than speed 3 in the cab...but if I can get a reliable speed 2 in the closed cab with some added fans then that might work better for me.

Comments about firmware are maybe pertient too...the Sky+ boxes have gone through various itterations of fan control over the years so maybe Sony are playing about with fan control to address some problems that have come up with the US/Japan spec machines?? I'd like to know how hot the 'silent' ones are getting inside compared to our 'faulty' items. Don't forget, these things have some serious computing power inside them and are going to generate fierce amounts of heat. I'd rather it was blown outside the box than sit there cooking the internals. Heat management has improved a lot for computing devices, but those 200W (or so) have to go somewhere, and that either takes a fan shifting lots of air or passive heatsinks the size of a large TV. Take your pick. Personally, I'm sure mine isn't faulty, it just makes a bit of noise when it gets hot. The sound is that of air moving - not the whine of a duff fan (or fanboy).

Not having a go, just commenting that there is little rigour being applied here.

Sorry guys...but little of this is very objective or scientific, is it. Daerve posted some good shots taken with a TIC which shows a comparison between 360 & PS3 which were interesting..

Not having a go, just commenting that there is little rigour being applied here.

Ok here's a bit more info:

Got the PS3 day after release and immediately had to update firmware to 1.6

First thing I did was play a DVD to see what it looked like on my Panasonic 42PX60B (in 1080i)

Within 10 minutes of getting used to the XMB the fans started.:confused:

Now, I expect fans to kick in (I work on a Mac Pro) but these were what I'd expect when encoding video or something.:mad:

To elaborate, I was watching a movie that night through my Sony amp and speakers, at normal levels - i.e. my missis reckons it's too loud ;) - and the sound of the fans was enought to drown out the dialogue. I actually increased the volume of the centre speaker.
:eek:

Since then all I've done is download a couple of movie trailers.

I'm actually put off using it because of the fan noise. It's a very loud rush of air, like i've said in another post, comparable to my Mielle Vacuum on eco mode!:eek:

could it be a defective batch ?

i think the 02-27430420 refers to the batch , the 5---- is the unique serial number and the CECHCO3 is the country code

maybe users that have a quiet one have a different code to 27430420 ? and that's the answer we need !?

maybe i'm just unlucky

:)

nice pictures , btw

what camera did you use for that ?

nice pictures , btw

A talisman thermal imager. We use them at work to find bad joints on pylons and in sub stations.

One thought that may be a bit crazy.. are all the 'noisy' ones sat on glass? Glass doesn't have the dampening effects that wood has.

One thought that may be a bit crazy.. are all the 'noisy' ones sat on glass? Glass doesn't have the dampening effects that wood has.

Good point, acoustically glass may amplify the noise where as wood would probably absorb it.

I left my PS3 running last night while I downloaded several demos and trailers from the store, and it was absolutely silent...

I left my PS3 running last night while I downloaded several demos and trailers from the store, and it was absolutely silent...

i don't suppose you had a different batch no from ours ?

could it be a defective batch ?

i think the 02-27430420 refers to the batch , the 5---- is the unique serial number and the CECHCO3 is the country code

maybe users that have a quiet one have a different code to 27430420 ? and that's the answer we need !?

maybe i'm just unlucky

:)

nice pictures , btw

Its not a defective batch. This fan speed "thing" happens on US and JAP models as well, nothing to do with it being a UK only thing.

Good point, acoustically glass may amplify the noise where as wood would probably absorb it.

Just to point out how loud the fans are - it's not because it's on glass. My mate brought his PS3 round and sat it next to mine.

His was silent.

Mine sounds like a vacuum.

Just to point out how loud the fans are - it's not because it's on glass. My mate brought his PS3 round and sat it next to mine.

His was silent.

Mine sounds like a vacuum.

In that case there's obviously something wrong then.

Mine's no where near silent but is a tiny bit quieter than the 360 so it doesn't really bother me.

i spoke to sony today , they assured me the ps3 should be virtually silent , unless you're playing a game

when on the xmb it should be totally quiet and if not - change it at your retailer and if that doesn't work get back to them

you have 28 days from date of purchase according to sony

i'm just wondering what on earth i do with the data on my hd ?

should i delete it or try backing it up ?

i spoke to sony today , they assured me the ps3 should be virtually silent , unless you're playing a game

when on the xmb it should be totally quiet and if not - change it at your retailer and if that doesn't work get back to them

you have 28 days from date of purchase according to sony

i'm just wondering what on earth i do with the data on my hd ?

should i delete it or try backing it up ?

Yeah that's the problem. I deleted everything and exchanged mine because of the fan noise. The new one had the same problem. I also had to start resistance and motorstorm from the beginning again.

What can I do? Keep exchanging til I get a good one? I've had enough! :suicide:

i've also bought a few games , i suppose they'll go kaput

i can't even back it up now as i use a mac and it only works with a pc :(

if i find the new one is the same , not only will i demand a refund , but i will never buy another sony playstation product again

this is a ridiculous situation and sony should be utterly ashamed of themselves for making such shoddy rubbish

i've also bought a few games , i suppose they'll go kaput

i can't even back it up now as i use a mac and it only works with a pc :(

if i find the new one is the same , not only will i demand a refund , but i will never buy another sony playstation product again

this is a ridiculous situation and sony should be utterly ashamed of themselves for making such shoddy rubbish

Where did you buy yours from Beowulf?

Because Dixons are telling me I can't exchange it.

from gamestation

sony uk told me - half an hour ago - that they should change it , and if not , sony will send someone round on wednesday with a new one and excange it for mine !!!

shame i threw out the interior packaging !! :D oops..

from gamestation

sony uk told me - half an hour ago - that they should change it , and if not , sony will send someone round on wednesday with a new one and excange it for mine !!!

shame i threw out the interior packaging !! :D oops..

Beowulf, thats pretty good news although there is no way of knowing if you will get a good one in return. Can you keep us updated as to what happens (I haven't got the time to sort mine out this week).

sure thing

I went to Gamestation , they would change it but the manager wasn't around to verify things until Saturday. Rang Sony they agreed that the fans should be silent on the XMB and when watching a movie , and now will be sending me a BRAND NEW ONE on this wednesday via Parcelline ! The packaging doesn't matter , it's just the PS3 they're sending out - phew !

The lady at Sony was very helpful and assured me the PS3 would be brand new and as she had heard them at a staff demo being totally silent she was surprised it made any fan noise at all !!

Fingers crossed but it all looks ok now ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom