Is anyone bothered about the fan noise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through this thread it seems there are 2 types of PS3's out there:

1. Normal ones (where fans kick in when required)

2. Faulty ones (where the fans kick in after 10 minutes and are loud enough to hear from 12 feet away.

I unfortunately own a faulty one - after 10 minutes of watching a film the fans blow so loud that I have to turn the sound up.

Before the owners of Normal PS3's shout "Ventilation!" - my PS3 is under a Panasonic Viera which is an open stand, just glass shelves.

What gets me is the people who own quiet PS3's say "now way is it noisy, how can people say it's noisy?"

And people like me who have a noisy PS3 say "how can they say it's quiet?"

To try and get some sense out of it, owners of noisy PS3's what is your serial and where did you buy it?

Mine was from Dixons Online - serial 02-27430420-5367193 - CECHC03

:cool:

I carried out a little test with mine as it does the full on fan after 10 mins.

I ran motorstorm for 1 hr then left it on XMB for another 1 hr, by now the fan going full blast should have cooled it down:confused:

Apparently not though because I then shut down for 10 mins and restarted and stayed on XMB, at first it was slow fan but a couple of mins in it stepped up to the second speed, then less than a minute later full speed again.

I did this horizontal and vertical both with the same result and ventilation is not a prob as nothing is within 40 cm of it.

This kind of suggests the fan is going full blast because its hot and not a fan fault, however maybe something else is running too hot and causing this. I would say it is quieter vertical but that probably because a smaller area is `touching ground`

Mine was from Dixons Online - serial 02-27430420-5367193 - CECHC03

:cool:

Game instore, serial similar 02-27430420-???????-CECHCO3, have`nt reg serial no. so I am not putting the different bit in:D starts with a 5 though rest is different:smashin:

same with me

serial no : 02 - 27430420 -5 ****** - CECHC03

i'm guessing that the "27430420" is the batch number ?

bought from gamestation 23/3

same with me

serial no : 02 - 27430420 -5 ****** - CECHC03

i'm guessing that the "27430420" is the batch number ?

bought from gamestation 23/3

Might just be common for all UK and Ireland but not really the point of a serial no. is it:confused:

from the boardsrus thread

"I'm happy for all of you guys who have a normal and silent PS3.

Not so for many European owners. I own a noisy PS3 myself, and the problem isn't my oversensitive ears. There is something really wrong with my PS3 that makes it go into gear 3 when idle, nomatter what I do.

Today I talked to Sony Playstation Support Hotline here in Denmark. He knew the problem all too well, but he told me that Sony didn't aknowledge it as a fault, and so I could not get it repaired or exchanged. I then asked him how I coul get my hands on a silent, normal PS3. He then told me, that my best bet would be to go back to the shop and demand a refund. Then he said I should wait untill a new shipment of PS3's came around, and perhaps these would be OK. They had tried to match serial-number of noisy and normal PS3's, but they could find no pattern. Still they continued to get a lot of calls about this very issue, adn they continued to ask Sony Headquarters for a solution to the problem. Sony HQ won't budge however, so I guess we're stranded with noisy units unless we can wait for another shipment, and that sux!!!"

oh dear , that doesn't sound too good

sony really need to get their act together on this , we're the early adopters after all and our word of mouth will no doubt go a long way in helping build the ps3 up , not that they'd ever acknowledge the fact

sony , they're no apple..

Well would be nice if someone could test the sound levels from a so called bad one to a good one just to see if theres that much of a difference. i have mine on 24/7 as i always use it to play music or watch film or play game and then when it's not being used i fold and can say it has never got loud or even noticeable. i have my laptop on @ moment and this is at least 3 times as loud as my ps3 at same distance and i dont even class my laptop as being loud. i have watched at least 10 blu-ray movies and cant say i have heard any sign of any noise from mine and im sitting about 7ft from mine and it's in the open not in a cupboard or on a shelf hidden away.

like people say either some people are very fussy or there are a few units about what are a lot louder than others.

I wish I never read this thread:eek:

Just rang Dixons to ask to swap my PS3 only to be told they don't deal with PS3s you have to ring Sony.

I told them I'd had the item less than 28 days and wish to exchange it, they gave me a new number to ring, which turned out to be a SALES number :mad:

So I rang it and they basically told me the same, that I had to ring Sony.

I said I wanted to walk into a shop and exchange it, and they said they don't have any more shops so I can't!

Eventually I gave up and rang the Sony number and they were shut!!

:mad:

like people say either some people are very fussy or there are a few units about what are a lot louder than others.

I really do think its a matter of there being units that are faulty. I'm afraid I don't have the equipment to test the sound but its at least 3 times as loud as my Sky+ box (when the fans kick in on PS3), and is very noticable from 10 feet away. My PS3 has all the ventillation it could want.

Its not a case of being fussy either. I understand that the unit will make noise when playing games (that is inevitable) but I can turn the machine on and do nothing with it and the fans will ramp up to level 2 within 10mins and then level 3 after around 30 mins... and this is with the machine just displaying the XMB.. makes watching a dvd very annoying, or even just listening to a simple mp3.

Just rang Dixons to ask to swap my PS3 only to be told they don't deal with PS3s you have to ring Sony.

I told them I'd had the item less than 28 days and wish to exchange it, they gave me a new number to ring, which turned out to be a SALES number :mad:

So I rang it and they basically told me the same, that I had to ring Sony.

I said I wanted to walk into a shop and exchange it, and they said they don't have any more shops so I can't!

Eventually I gave up and rang the Sony number and they were shut!!

:mad:

Found this email address [email protected]station.com not sure if they will reply

After being used to the loud fan noise of the Xbox and 360, I can't say it bothers me. I can hear it but it's certainly quieter than those two.

Same here, been using the 360 for DVD's and now use the PS3, never heard it watching a BD film from 8-12ft away.

I'm happy for the PS3 owners who can't hear the fan.

What I'm unhappy about is my PS3 sounds like it's taking off after 10 minutes.

To put it into context, I have a Mielle vacuum cleaner that's got a quit mode - my PS3 is as loud as the Mielle after 30 minutes.

This is not normal! Dixons have sold me a dud and they refuse to exchange it because they don't deal with Sony faults!

:eek:

Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet
URN No: 05/1730

Subject: Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

"Q1. What is an inherent fault?

A fault present at the time of purchase. Examples are:
• an error in design so that a product is manufactured incorrectly
• an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted."

i'd call fans that stay on all day long when nothing is happening an inherent fault , most probably due to shoddy manufacture and cheap components

Just found a video of a PS3 getting tested for noise and heat generation, looks like Sony quality control might have something to answer for :rotfl:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-10_737-post-maintenance-engine_start.wmv

(the video might be a liitle slow to buffer so give it a chance!)

By the way my JPN PS3 gets really hot from both the right hand and from the back measured at 57°C with an infra red temp sensor. The fan is also always on at one set speed not too fast but is noticeable, about the same sound level as my XBOX360.
Nowhere near silent as I can hear it above the sound of my TV when the PS3 is sitting there running fold.
My PS3 is on a shelf in the open laying flat.

Just found a video of a PS3 getting tested for noise and heat generation, looks like Sony quality control might have something to answer for :rotfl:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-10_737-post-maintenance-engine_start.wmv

(the video might be a liitle slow to buffer so give it a chance!)

By the way my JPN PS3 gets really hot from both the right hand and from the back measured at 57°C with an infra red temp sensor. The fan is also always on at one set speed not too fast but is noticeable, about the same sound level as my XBOX360.
Nowhere near silent as I can hear it above the sound of my TV when the PS3 is sitting there running fold.
My PS3 is on a shelf in the open laying flat.

I don't think thats a ps3 fan, not loud enough!!

After having the console over a week now and watching a few DVD's, I can't help but feel very let down by the noise of the fans once they kick in after a few minutes. On quiet scenes I can hear the loud whirring a mile off, I think even worse than when I first had the PS2. All is quiet for about 10 mins then whoosh.

Some people have reported that theirs are silent so I am thinking about trying to get an exchange and try a new one. I have it placed horizontally on a shelf in an av unit but while the space is limited it has enough ventilation I would say. I have tried it out in the open on its end but the fans remain at full pelt.

It is about 3 times as loud as my skyHD box and it is really spoiling my DVD viewing which was a reason for getting the thing in the first place.

Anyone else have any thoughts as it seems not too many comments on this recently?

Can you hear the fans over the volume of the TV?

under the sale of goods act your contract is with dixons not sony , they're just trying it on !

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

good luck !

Yup this is true.

Dixions have the right to say if there is a problem with the machine you can exchange or repair it within 12 monthsand a refund in 28 days. You also have the option to go back to sony which ever methods is quicker and easier.

This was the same for the wii and xbox 360. The main reason retailers were telling people to ring microsoft or nintendo was due to no stock in the shops hence no exchange.

the dixons group are very nasty for taking items back, pcworld is the worst.

If nobody has a sound level meter then would there be any way of some of us clubbing together to pay for one? maybe the mods could sort some kind of donation pot?

eg:

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1553.html

Once we have one maybe anyone with a "suspect" PS3 have it sent to them by post, take pictures of the readings and attach them to a post on here and then post the meter off to another AVF member and so on?

I would be prepared to donate a couple of quid to the pot via paypal or something!!!

Does this sound realistic at all? it would certainly remove any doubt from the argument!

ps. if the meter went 'missing' maybe the member could be banned or something?

Yup this is true.

Dixions have the right to say if there is a problem with the machine you can exchange or repair it within 12 monthsand a refund in 28 days. You also have the option to go back to sony which ever methods is quicker and easier.

This was the same for the wii and xbox 360. The main reason retailers were telling people to ring microsoft or nintendo was due to no stock in the shops hence no exchange.

the dixons group are very nasty for taking items back, pcworld is the worst.

I already spent over a fiver in credit on them today, being told I'd come through on the wrong line etc. They told me they have no shops anymore so I can't take it back!

I already spent over a fiver in credit on them today, being told I'd come through on the wrong line etc. They told me they have no shops anymore so I can't take it back!

try your local citizen adivce or trading standards.

they will advise you how to go about things.

I emailed sony this morning and got this reply (I've edited my details out), so I dont know if anyone else wants to try as well. Haven't phoned them yet though.

'Dear Mr. *********,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your PlayStation 3.

Please call our Careline on 08705 99 88 77 (National Rate), quoting your reference number: *******, and an advisor will be happy to help you further.

Please have your PlayStation 3 to hand when you call, as we may need to capture some details from your unit.

Our operating hours are 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Yours sincerely,

Clive Harris
PlayStation Consumer Care Team
Sony Computer Entertainment UK
Careline: 08705 99 88 77 (National Rate)
E.Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.yourpsp.com'

thanks

i've just emailed them , let's see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom