1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone actually using white coated hardboard for their screen ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Just got my projector running for it's first test last night (testing screen position etc etc)

I have painted the whole wall black (so image looked a little dull!!!)

I had already bought (for testing) a square metre of white blackout blind (as recommended for making screens) and also for sheer novelty value a sheet of that white painted/coated hardboard from B&Q

The following are my thoughts looking about 18" away from the screen !

The white blackout blind has two sides. One is the fabric side which has the weave on it. This produces a softish edge to the pixels. Softens the focus rather.
    When you turn it around to the coated side (like a white rubber paint coating) you loose the soft focus and the pixels are clear and well defined, so the choise is easy on this one.

However on my sheet of hardboard I must say it's rather good.
    The surface is VERY white, and has a very slight sheen, I guess you would say it has some gain. The pixels are clear and sharp and if you move your head around you can see like a slight shiney reflection.

As this sheet (about 3ft x 4ft) was well under a fiver from B&Q is does seem a VERY cheap way to get what looks at first impressions like a very nice surface.
    As it's VERY white, I guess it may not be fantastic for pulling the image down if you want black blacks though...

Most testing perhaps.

2. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tempest, i tried that just as a test as while. The white hardboard does look pretty good alright. Probably will end up using it in the new cinema next year....