Is anyone actually happy with there LCD?

JohnOvMancheste

Standard Member
Reaction score
As the title, is anybody happy with there LCD?

I am a new owner and just got rid of a CRT and I am very dissapointed.
Expected a bit of a drop in quality but not this much.

When I selected the TV I thought that the quality I saw in the shops was just bad because it came from a bad source but now it's home and it's very similar I am gutted.

I appreciate the ashetics of the unit and the space saved makes it worth it but even so... thought it would be better.

Is anybody else in the same boat?

I've seen a few of them and I agree, my Sony crt has a far better picture than a LCD or Plasma. I think if you can feed it an HD signal then you will get a great picture, but anything less than that....pretty darn ropey if you ask me. Put it this way, if your CRT gave you those quality images I think most people would be taking it back to the shop. I think basically it's just the look and space saving that people really buy them for..

Yeah, I'm really happy with mine. But that's probably because I care strongly about the quality I get from my games consoles, HD DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and DVDs.

As for TV broadcasts: have you adjusted any of the Picture settings? What TV is it, specifically?

How big are the two TVs and made by who?

If you have replaced a 28" CRT with a 37" LCD then the picture will be worse for no other reason than the TV picture is blown up to a larger size and so the compression on Freeview etc will be bigger and more obvious. In the same way if you take a low res photo on a mobile and blow it up to a large size it will look poor.

If your LCD is larger then to compensate you should also move to high res to redress the balance.

Aside from that you should notice no flicker, no convergence errors and a much sharper image on PCs and consoles etc. If you use them of course.

Very happy with mine and my LCD is a cheap Hannspree and went from a £1000 CRT Sony widecscreen. The main difference is getting used to the progressive scan. The weakness of my LCD is the contrast ratio is not as good as it could be but I wouldn't want to pay more money than I did. The LCD cost £250 and I am very happy with that. I wouldn't be getting another £250 worth out of it if I spent £500.

Freeview problems such as pixelation is just as bad on the Sony but it was better at hiding the problems but they are still there. The problem is the source not the TV's such as low bitrat, bad compression etc.

The TV just needs time to settle down and make sure the settings are adjusted. It took two weeks for my TV to get as good as it looks now.

I changed from a 32' Vega to a 32' Bravia and after tweaking the settings
i would say there is not much in it, maybe thats because the vega was a 100hrz,and there was some smearing with that.

But on the whole i am very pleased with it especially when watching bbc hd,
marvelous.

Dvd looks stunning and xbox/ps2 are vastly superior on lcd compared to crt IMHO.

I was a little disappointed with my TV when I first got it, because the picture quality was not as good as I was used to (when watching TV). However, I expect in the future when everything is digital and in years to come when everything turns into HD then it will all be sweet.

I've played around with my settings and it's improved slightly. I'm not too bothered about the quality when watching TV, because I have Sky downstairs and I have the TV Link which allows me to watch Sky in my room, so I expect the picture quality to be a bit poorer because it's running through an aerial and not HDMI or whatever.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with the picture quality when it comes to DVD and Xbox. The DVD quality on my TV is outstanding, and I only have a standard definition DVD player. My Xbox is awesome on it too; I'm using 1080i and I'm very pleased.

I really bought my TV for my 360 and to watch DVDs on, as I usually watch TV downstairs on my mum's TV; the only time I watch TV on my LCD is when I'm laid in bed at night before I go to sleep, apart from that I use it to play games and watch DVDs, which the quality is vey good.

It depends what's coming into it. With DVDs and good quality freeview I'm more than happy with the picture quality of my new Philips. Low quality, over compressed signals such as ITV's Grand Prix and Rugby World Cup feed though [don't let me get started], are a different matter. No matter what I toggle on or off, up or down, I can't really improved on the atrocious picture.

The sound could do with a bit more oomph too but it's okay (nothing more). So on the whole I'm happy yes. When it's good it's very good indeed, but when it's bad it can be awful [not strictly the tellies fault though].

Just bought a Panasonic 32" TX-LDX70 and I am delighted with it. I was very concerned that SD tv would be poor but I have found it perfectly acceptable. (for most evening viewing I use 'cinema' mode which is slightly duller - more like the old CRT)
The main reason for getting the LCD though was my PS3. Compared to my old CRT the picture is AWESOME. No regrets and glad my wife talked me into the 32" not the 37" I wanted - bigger isn't always better!!

im very happy with my TX32LXD70, amazing tv! much better than my 24" 4:3 crt!

I'm happy with mine :D

DVD picture quality from a Marantz DV6600 is superb. 360 on VGA looks even better.

Screen is a Technosonic/thompson

Well I just got a cheap LCD an LG 27LC2R from dixons a couple of weeks back. Paid £265. For the money, DAMN I was impressed. Although the blacks are a little washed out, and the backlight is a little uneven, failing that when hooked up to my PS2 via component leads and watching a DVD through it, or playing a game, the picture is excellent. Hasn't put me off LCDs at all the few faults it has. I think sometimes it's necessary to swap out your unit if you get a duffer though.

To answer some of the questions:
- Gone from a 28" Sony Widescreen
- Watching TV via sky mainly, freeveiw is also bad quality both were good on the CRT

Lyris -
As for TV broadcasts: have you adjusted any of the Picture settings? What TV is it, specifically?
Yeah, I've just adjusted the colour so skin tones are not so red and I have taken the sharpness down a bit... not much else, are there any you would suggest?
The new telly is Samsung LE40R88 from Dixons website http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2116406747.1189623756@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddlmehkhkjcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=605728&category_oid=

Sonic67 -
If your LCD is larger then to compensate you should also move to high res to redress the balance.
How do you move to high res?

The picture looks blurred especially round the edges of images unless they are dead still then it's not as bad.
Some of the replys I can not believe though, it's in no way comparable to any CRT I have seen and neither were any in the shops... it's deffinatly not just my model, they are all bad... it's just I expected to get home and it be OK as everyone says the shops all run off a rubbish source so that is why the pics are so bad.
Maybe my picture is a 10% improvment from the currys and comets and John Lewis's.

If it was on a scale of 1-10 and CRT was 10 where would you guys put your LCD?

On a positive note... watching football on it and it's the same standard as the rest of the channels.

And black is black and not grey.

It looks great asthetically sat on a glass stand.

It saves a ton of space.

Pleasure pain balance or what LOL?

JohnOV
There have been quite a few posts on this subject and I think you have to seperate a few things out.

If you mainly use the set for gaming... DVD...Sky +.....& x box PS 3 Blu Ray (whatever the ### hell they are) only half joking.

LCDs are great but if like me you basically want to watch good old(non HD)digital TV from an aerial they arent so good.

Which is why I am happy with my lightly used bedroom LCD but until it packs up my lounge will keep my brick sized 29" Sony CRT.

Steve

LCDs are great but if like me you basically want to watch good old(non HD)digital TV from an aerial they arent so good.

Depends on the TV. As I said earlier, I am perfectly happy with the picture from my one compared to my old Sony and it isn't even a big brand name.

Freeview

DVD RGB Scart

John.
With Freeview and Sky (unless it's SkyHD), try turning the Sharpness right down. I like to use the sharpness control usually, but I find that the Samsung F71 I have does nasty things to SD feeds.

NW
Agreed but one...... what can you tell from tiny photos with no movement, and two..... as I am sure you know it varies dependant on the programme quality which seems to make little difference on a CRT.

But probably most important depends on how critical the viewer is.

As i said even I think LCD is stunning with HD quality input but I havent seen ANY I REALLY like on non HD.

Please believe me I am not a CRT advocate I just speak as I find..........

NW
Agreed but one...... what can you tell from tiny photos with no movement, and two..... as I am sure you know it varies dependant on the programme quality which seems to make little difference on a CRT.

It does matter what what channel it is but those pics give an accurate representation of what I get when it is still and in motion.

The pics are not that smalll anyway here are the big versions.

if my CRT (which was a bloody good panasonic) was 10/10 then my new Panasonic LXD70 is easily 11/10 if not 12/10 - I only watch freeview for TV.

Perhaps you have chosen unwisely with your LCD or your source signal is cráp. I have a decent aerial on my roof and the picture is near on perfect - if I stand about a foot away I can see imperfection yes, but at 7ft sofa distance it is absolutley brilliant......... and when I watch HD movies on my media centre PC via VGA it is even better - that is the only time when the I think the actual TV broadcast looks poor in comparison (ie watching an HD movie for 2 hours til my eyes adjust and then switching back to TV after)

I'll let you know on Sat when my TX32LXD70 arrives. I'm expecting to either be getting the lube out or phoning my shrink.

I'm currently without a TV because I was so unhappy with my recently purchased Sony D3000 that I took it back for a refund!

There really ought to be a sticky on the top of this forum warning people that SD broadcast TV looks completely crap on an LCD screen. Like the OP I just thought it was the poor setup in stores - an appropriate warning here could have saved me alot of wasted time/petrol/grief.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom