Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is anybody really happy....

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by launcher, Oct 9, 2003.

1. launcher

launcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ......With the TV they have? We all seem to have issues with one thing or another concerning screen size, geometry, contrast, colour, input, signal, etc.

Are we just a bunch of sad whingers who will never be satisfied, or are we being ripped off by manufacturers selling substandard goods?

Are all the "niggles" with PF2, PD30, P+, et al really that bad, it seems that the magazines that review the equipment are either-

1. Getting perfect hardware to review.
    2. Are realistic in expectations.
    3. Are in the back pocket of the manufacturer.

I hope this does not offend anyone, I would be very interested to know others views and especially from someone who is 100% satisfied with their TV

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latter :mad:

When you pay the best part of £2000 for a "top of the range", "state of the art" TV it's not unreasonable to expect it to have no noticeable faults - especially not with the picture :eek:

1, or maybe 3 :devil:

You've come to the wrong place for that m8 :nono: :laugh:

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    I am now 100% happy with my Panasonic 36PD30! Picture and sound quality is the best that I have seen. Have checked the set using an Avia test disk and can see no real problems.

However, I did have a few issues:
    (1) First set had a poor picture (colours were bland and greenish or really over-saturated) – replacement set is awsome.
    (2) Issue with RGB input from my DVD player – solved by looping the DVD player through Sky+.
    (3) Picture position – had to move/resize the image in the service menu.

These issues do seem to be down to quality control which makes buying a large screen CRT such a risky business.

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm very happy with my Loewe Aconda 32". The picture is fantastic, connectivity and ease of use are great and even the sound is good. It has a surprisingly wide soundstage for a stereo TV.

I do agree that a lot of the magazines are obviously on the take. Some reviews for certain brands read like fawning praise and that is very annoying.

As Bindlemon says you spend a lot of cash on a top of the range TV so expectations are naturally high.

People need to be careful and research their purchases more carefully. I'm always amazed how many people I speak to who think Sony is this incredibly good brand and subsequently end up unhappy with a purchase.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218

Well they are still a mass market product that is tailored to a price if you want the nearest thing to faultless TV that has awsome PQ and great sound with simple inputs and a gorgeous look then put your hand in your pocket and buy one of [​IMG] these beauties.

But the setup in the picture will cost you in excess of £11,000 that is DD 5.1 with ICEpower fronts and floorstanding rears but the sub is extra

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely chuffed to bits with my Loewe Mimo 28", Although I'd have gone for a 32" except for WAF.

Amazing how quickly you get used to it - had it about 5 weeks and it's as if I've never watched anything else.

7. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my FS76 but this is my fourth set!!!!!!!

Sony realising huge amount of sub-standard sets!

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, with my 42" CRT RP. A couple of minor niggles (red push, some interlaced artifacts), but much happier with my RP than my 28" Widescreen (NTSC flicker) Until HDTV CRT RP sets come out I'm keeping this set. Great price, almost perfect geometry, good contrast/brightness, and slimmer than my 28" TV as well!

9. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very ahppy with my Panasonic TX-36PD30.
    Have not encountered any of the problems described on this forum (well except for a very insignificant geometry problem).

Its worth every penny (or danish kroners ;) )!

10. weasel

weasel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't believe the detractors, Panny TX-36PD30 is superb. Had one for a month, bowled over by the sheer cinematic perfection - brilliant colour, razor sharpness, perfect geometry - when you get a good transmission source. Best I've had was Judgement Day on C5 last week - perfect. However, if the source isn't so good, the 36" screen of course exaggerates the imperfections - try comparing with a smaller screen and you'll find they're all there, but not so in-your-face. Most source material is pretty average, so unfortunately if you go looking for imperfections you'll find them. So sit well back, relax, enjoy and revel in the knowledge that when something really good comes along, your mind will be boggled and your senses will be blown - including ears. Hopefully source quality will continually improve as more people acquire big TVs and become more discerning.

No idea how it compares with other 36" TVs; Acuity may well play some strange tricks with poor material, which no doubt explains the differences between magazine reviews - some rave, some prefer PF2.

I have analogue cable and a Panny DMRE60 - that's good too, though I don't currently need the extra £100 of features over the E50, or know whether it's worth £400 more for the hard disc on the E100. DVD-RAM features are well worth having, particularly time slip.

Back to the PD30. I did have to do a bit of tweaking through the service menu:

1) to shift the picture to the right (hpos) to remove a bright vertical band on the right in 75/833i mode (which I find generally best).

2) to adjust slight convex cushioning noticeable in 4:3 and 14:9 (parabola). However, in practice we never use anything other than Panasonic Auto.

Which brings me to the only quirk which may be a fault - occasionally Panasonic Auto changes its mind and adjusts the picture size, or takes too long to decide how to display. Mildly irritating - anyone had a similar experience?

Other points: Picture-in-Picture (or out of it, or side-by-side) is very useful to monitor another channel, or set the DVD while watching something else, or if you get bored with what you're watching and simply want to surf without committing yourself...

Finally, the design is brilliant, approached only by the Toshiba PF2. It's the ony 36" CRTV, or 32" for that matter, I (or my wife) would have in our living room. All the bulky depth disappears due to the clever circular design (provided it's in a corner or alcove).

That's it. For a while I've been reading the various enjoyable threads here and been intending to make my contribution. Hope it helps.

11. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weasel,

If you don't mind me asking - where was your PD30 made?

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Very very happy with my Sony KV32FQ70 - lovely picture.

13. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm over the moon with my KV32FQ80

It's performs like a dream .

As near perfect Geometry as you will ever see , Great Vibrant colors and rich deep blacks

More sockets than I need and looks to die for !

Oh and the resolution enhancement works !

14. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32" PW8717, replaced 4 of these Sets, the last Tv was serviced, to as what philips says its a FIX, but still the prob persisted. ALL hope was lost and the fault was not solved! Else the Picture is Superb. Surely will not use ext3 as this is were the black bar mostly mainfest itself! As regards to the Rest Its a great TV with Super duper Picture (No pixel Plus imp. on this model just plain 100Hz and Digital SCan)

15. weasel

weasel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blindlemon - in the UK. And it has the extra digit in the serial no. (ref a thread some way back).

16. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weasel, I guess you got lucky then :smashin: