1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody actually 100% happy with their PV500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SonOfSony, Jul 1, 2005.

1. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All these little faults people are picking out makes it seem like they're the majority! This is worrying me a little as my PV500 gets delivered on Tuesday.

Can all those HAPPY with their plasma post on here and reassure all us prospective buyers that we do have a chance of getting a decent PV500!

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'm happy with my plasma :smashin:

But I have an Hitachi.

It isn't perfect, but perfection is years away and won't be plasma, IMO.

What's up mate??? Everyone says they are the best, PQ-wise, so why so worried??? :confused:

All screens have faults.

Perhaps the question should be " Do the latest Pannies have an inordinate amount of faults???"

I'm not saying they do!!!

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    No one picks out little faults they manifest themselves and appear. God knows how many other things (if anymore) may turn out to be the case as time goes on with this model.

For £2500 I would expect a new set of this calibre to be fit for purpose....especially the panel and picture itself. After all it is primarily a display device so I believe the panel should be near as damn it 100%. You are paying a premium for a HD panel with a superior less flawed picture.

Hopefully these problems are down to early quality control issues due to the severe pressure of demand on these units.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The 'little faults' bit is what I was on about :smashin:

Bloody hell, I've just looked at some more Panny threads (I tried not to, because I own a 7200 and didn't want to look at things with sour grapes).

But a lot of faults seem to be appearing :eek:

Hence my starting a thread about Hitachi backup and problems.

If the market leader is having problems, where does that leave everyone else???

I'm hoping Panny tried to cut costs and went to the wrong supplier (as in the PCB's and swallowed it :smashin: )

But if the technology is just crap, is it going to affect my tele???

That's what worries me!!!

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Far from happy, lets just leave it at that. Currently researching into a pioneer, hitachi or even LG screen. I look for near perfection for the price i am paying, for the faults i have found with the pv500 i would be happy to pay no more than £1000.

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry unduly ;)

It appears Panasonic "rushed" the 500 series as it was losing ground to other manufacturers on the hd front.

The styling is pretty awful, compared to what wev'e been used to!

The previous viera's are a great looking set with fantastic pq.

A new version will be round the corner as Panasonic are too big a player to rest on their laurels........................

7. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think these things are due to the popularity of the devices. Doesnt mean they are more unreliable just that more poeple have them therfore you will hear more faults.

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    that's the way I was looking at it.

But I'm now looking closer.

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how does that affect the styling?

10. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely styling isn't ENORMOUSLY important? The prevailing view seems to be that the PV500 - when it gets it right - has a pretty unbeatable PQ? And that is after all, the holy grail?

Is it any better than the Hitachi 7200 though - an interesting question. I hope it turns out to be.

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    Yes, 100% happy at the moment.

The styling isn't 100% perfect, I would prefer the pioneer styling, but then that has a media box which isn't the best way to go, IMO.

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The styling is at least 50% of the purchase choice.......

After all you can get better results with crt but the styling is too bulky.

13. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that's a valid point because I think the reason people choose plasmas is because of screen size - although there is probably a view among less knowledgeable people that a plasma TV means much better PQ - not true - than a CRT.

I feel worried about my PV500 now for Tuesday yet when I ordered it two weeks ago, I was absolutely confident in my choice I was getting the best one out there for the £2.5k bracket. Now I think about the Hitachi - it doesn't seem to have any faults other than a weakness on blacks. People are talking about the PV500 changing its own lighting in scenes, buzzing and this 'line' across the screen.

Surely my new purchase will have at least ONE of the above...

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The PV500 can undoubtedly be very good. However getting there could be a painful exercise. How long have you waited to get your first set ??? If you had to wait as long again for a replacement or beyond you might not think the Holy Grail is with the PV500.

15. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of people fit a plasma on a ped or hang it on a wall (probably 80%)

The reason being styling.

A crt or a rear projector may look out of place on a wall or ped, so yes, styling plays a massive part in choice of plasma as it does in all forms of toys.

16. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't argue with that mate.

Ekko - been waiting two weeks since ordered (it'll be my first ever plasma) but spent a month looking. All the good reviews of the PV500 convinced me to get it. Now the faults are surfacing and to be honest, I'm getting nervous as to what I'm going to think of it when it gets here. £2.5k is a lot of my money and I'll be shattered if I've spent it on something that doesn't do that expenditure justice.

I have got the DVE disk all ready and waiting to calibrate it, I've got absolutely top spec IXOS cables waiting - top spec component for the DVD and top spec RGB SCART for the Sky+. Now I'm just waiting for it to come on Tuesday and dreading hearing buzzing, seeing a line on the screen, or being peed off with the set changing the lighting in a dark scene.

I feel stressed already and I should be excited!

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    A least you know what to look for when it comes, I am 100% happy with mine, no buzzing, no horizontal line, and I have only noticed the contrast change once under normal viweing.

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Your PV will likely have both of the above. One's a feature and the other is how the panel is processing the image.

Will you notice either and are you bothered if they are there ? That's a different question as some clearly are and others aren't. You won't know until you get it and see how you feel. If you're in search of the Holy Grail then I guess it's worth trying to attain.

As far as styling is concerned it's very superficial but it is one of the biggest reasons why Plasma is so desired. I know of no other bit of AV kit that people want to buy and have in their homes and to gloat about to others. "I have a plasma sniff sniff "

In actual fact it's probably why the Plasma forums here are by far the most heated on AV forums as you tend to offend a lot of peoples egos if you say anything remotely construed as bad about what they have purchased. Objectivity appears secondary on this forum at the best of times.

19. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont worry, if your not happy send it back!

At launch most products go through teething problems, the maufacturer usually sorts them one way or another.

Bottom line is, theres no perfect plasma , and never will be!

20. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting comments guys. What about if I told you I am not some obsessive-must-have-the-best-picture-in-the-world viewer? I just want a big screen, decent PQ and something to say wow at when I watch my DVDs. I'm hoping its people like me who won't really notice the two issues above (the line and the contrast). Obviously the buzzing is a different matter.

I'm also hoping that the DVE set up will render the line in the middle almost unnoticeable. I really can't imagine myself being enormously bothered about the contrast changing, so hopefully it just won't buzz!

If I'm not happy I'll send it back. And if its replacement is the same, I'll send that back too and demand a Hitachi 7200 instead I think.

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    No need to be anxious. If it ain't upto scratch send it back. £2500 of anyones money is a lot of money. You may not feel these highlighted features affect your viewing pleasure anyway ?

The PV500 has ticked so many boxes for many people who have been waiting on the right plasma to come along. There's no need to discount it just yet without having tried it.

However the 7200, Pioneer and the Panny are all very very close. If anyone says one is miles ahead of the other, bit of exaggeration going on I'd say. :rolleyes:

22. jbriddon

jbriddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my pv500 for 1 month now and all i can say is every time i turn it on it just gets better and better. I haven't seen any contrast changes , horizontal line or buzzing , and i like the styling. If what you are after is a plasma with a fantastic PQ for sky and dvd then you've made the right choice. :thumbsup:

23. HappyNorwegian

HappyNorwegian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m totaly agree, jbriddon.
    Haven`t discovered any of the above problems on my 37pv500.
    And to you, SonOfSony - search, and (maybe) you`ll find. But then again, why search for problems you can`t find whit normal viewing?
    I`m 100% satisfied
    (excuse me if my english are hard to understand)

24. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy Norwegian - many thanks, and don't worry about your English - its far better than a lot of posters on here! ;)

25. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    SonOfSony, i am in the same position as you. I have a PV500CAB on order and i'm worried rather than excited. However, since the PV500 has been on sale i have seen about a dozen and not once seen any of the problems mentioned on this forum. The thing is, if you belong to a forum you will get to hear of the faulty products. People who are totally happy tend to not mention the fact and are content to get on and enjoy their purchase. I am also a member of the Civic Type R owners forum and have had three Honda cars in a row without problems. Of course any members with problems do post about them but in comparison to the number of owners, the people wiith the problems are relatively few. I think we just have to get things into perspective. If my PV500 turns out to be faulty i will ask for it to be replaced.

Geoff.

26. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    i've had my pv500 for over a month now and watch it at least 5 hours a day and haven't (touch wood) had any of the reported problems, i also haven't had any other problems with it so far :D

27. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Rapid. Us Brits tend not to comment on things that perform as expected while we're quick to comment on things that don't meet our demands.

I do think those who report problems with the PV500 are in the minority or are huge enthusiasts who manage to spot things than many members of Joe Public wouldn't - as someone else said. And that is not a criticism of those who have spotted problems!

We'll find out on Tuesday but as I say, I do feel slightly anxious now rather than excited which is what I should be feeling!

28. HappyNorwegian

HappyNorwegian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I will add something to those of you that still haven`t got any plasma yet.

I`ve been into this plasma issue for near 6 months. Think I`ve seen and tested most of the models on the norwegian marked. And my conclusion is clear, pv500 beats the most, included the far more expensive models from Pioneer (yeah, I know Pioneer will launch new models in a couple of months).

So this is a very good panel, guess it will be a "Best buy" when the Magazines start to test this model

Btw, have some of you a electronic version of the test made in the july-number of What HiFi (think its on page 47). Would be very glad if some of you have this test, as far as I know it`s the only test yet)

29. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that test (don't have it electronically, sorry) but it was only a one-page feature and didn't really say anything new.

30. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just don´t look for any faults!

I won´t look for the horizontal line, I didn´t see it in normal operation so I´ll just leave it.

The contrast change thiny, however, I discovered without anyone telling me to look for it.

If you don´t see any flaws, don´t start looking for them. It´ll ruin it for you.