• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Is an Onkyo 605 ok for use with a cd player?

dowzer

I have a 10+ year old pioneer multichanger cd player and was thinking of getting a new cd player - we dont listen to that much music but we realised that when we had a New Year party it would have been good to have a nice set up.

If I got a Cambridge Audio cd player from Richer Sounds eg CD5 for £100,340C for £150 or 540C for £200 can I connect it to my 605 and use my 5.1 Tannoy speakers ? Will all speakers be used or just the front 2? I have tried reading through this forum but am lost to what I need.

Do i need a separate amp like a CA A5 or 340A? I am hoping that with a cheap cd player my receiver will do a good job.

Can anyone tell me how a Marantz CD5001 which is now £80 in RS would compare to the CA players?

I would really appreciate someone advising me!!!:lease:

Kryptix

You can connect it to the 605 fine, and use Pure Audio to use the front speakers. Brilliant quality. I'm currently listening to music in Pure Audio as I type this. :)

Helicon

Banned
It all depends on your expectations. If you're used to a high quality 2 channel amp, you may be disappointed, but if you're used to budget ones, you should be fine. The majority will be happy with the 605 for 2 channel use, as long as the hi-fi speakers they're using aren't too good for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom