Is an iPad worth the money?

djm07

Hi guys,

I've just finished my exams for the winter break and have a bit of money saved up and I wouldnt mind treating myself to an ipad 2.

I've already got a netbook (for uni work) and laptop so it would be just for using apps, watching tv shows/movies and general messing about with. My question is have you ever regretted getting it and would you recommend it?

Cheers

PaulW0

Hands down the best money I have spent on any piece of technology. Reason, it just works, shear practicality and use-ability. It does everything I want from it and does it well. I thoroughly recommend one, however with an update due in March/April if you can wait get an IPad 3 especially if it comes with a retina screen.

SUMMONER

Don't own one, but I have played with it on numerous occasions and and as far as responsiveness and ease of use go it is by far the best tablet you can buy for money in my opinion.

Would I buy one? Nope, I would rather upgrade the Netbook (dual core 12" mini laptop in my case) with a large SSD and loads or ram.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
My question is have you ever regretted getting it and would you recommend it?

Don't regret it at all :smashin:

but then it all depends on what you want to get out of any tablet, for me its a great media consumption device and tends to spend most of its life on the sofa, where any member of the family can pick it up and use it for a browse etc.

Considering you're proposed needs, it probably will be a great fit but do have a play around with one in your nearest Apple store or high street retailer.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Worth the money ? Yes.

To be honest I would never have bought one , I simply didnt see the point in them , but then my good lady Wife presented me with one for my Birthday.

Having had it for four months now , I can see why they are well liked, and with me travelling all the time with work , its a godsend.

Watching movies , reading books , surfing the net , checking my mail , all are so easy with this thing its unbelieveable , and I notice as I go through airports here in the states , literally everyone seems to have one!

Mine broke unfortunately , the Wi fi stopped working ,and posting around for solutions shows this is not at all uncommon , so its not the faultless work of genius its made out to be , but worth the money , yes !

I'm not at all worried about getting it replaced , I made some calls here and the local apple store has said they will look at it for free and replace it with a new one if its faulty , even though it wasnt even bought in this country , if the person on the other end of the phone is correct , then I shall be mightily impressed with the level of service.

poppitypop

I don't think you will find many people who regret buying one. In all the forums I have read, twitter etc I have only come across one person who regretted it.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
It depends entirely on your usage. A year or two ago I thought they were utterly pointless and wouldn't even consider one at the time. Now I use it for 90% of the time at home and use the laptop for the other 10% that the iPad can't do.

What changed? Mainly and the way I used the laptop where I used to fiddle just for the sake it with triple booting Windows, Linux and OSX along with many other things. Got bored with all of that and so ended up just browsing the net on it most of the time. Once that was my main use, all of a sudden I "understood" the iPad.

stetash

I thoroughly recommend one, however with an update due in March/April if you can wait get an IPad 3 especially if it comes with a retina screen.

This is my dilemma, I have seen a 32gb refurb is reduced to £420 on the apple website and they are offering 0% finance over 10 months which keeps the money in my bank for longer.

I'm very tempted but cant help feeling that I will only regret buying it and want the Ipad 3 when that comes, although it probably going to be £480
and no 0% finance.

Decisions, decisions.....:confused:

After speaking to apple there is no finance available on refurbs

Last edited:

wayne wonder

This is my dilemma, I have seen a 32gb refurb is reduced to £420 on the apple website and they are offering 0% finance over 10 months which keeps the money in my bank for longer.

I'm very tempted but cant help feeling that I will only regret buying it and want the Ipad 3 when that comes, although it probably going to be £480
and no 0% finance.

Decisions, decisions.....:confused:

A lot of people on the iphone section have gone for this and gone for the ipad 2/macbook etc im in 2 minds may go for it this week!

Nanor

A lot of people on the iphone section have gone for this and gone for the ipad 2/macbook etc im in 2 minds may go for it this week!

I've been considering getting one for Christmas and decided to go for it. I could wait another three/four months for the next version but then that would be three/four months without an iPad.

I've played with them quite a lot and must say they're great. Any updates to the current version will be welcome but I can't see them making me regret buying the iPad 2. I'm not too bothered about the retina display, a slightly faster processor etc. as the current version does it all well enough for me.

Adams0211

I've never regretted it at all. I owned the original iPad and now the ipad2. I think I would be lost without it. I can't even remember the last time I used a computer.

AndrewP84

Hey Guys,

I am in the same boat, I have been holding off buying an iPad 2 for ages and now potentially the new iPad 3 is due in a few months time I am tempted to wait, I just wondered if Apple are likely to do any sales for example boxing day do you think?

I am likely to get a couple of gift cards for Christmas so I am really tempted to try and hold out, but I wonder if its really worth it. Although I do want a iPhone S also :D.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Apple never do boxing day sales, so don't expect it to be discounted

FallOutBoy

iPad is the one gadget I keep going back to after trying other things. I have had an iPad on and off since the iPad 1 was released in the US and I got one on eBay! I only ever sold it to upgrade to the iPad 2 and although I trade a lot to try other gadgets, phones etc I always replace my iPad a few weeks later as it's the most useful thing I've ever bought!

I love the iPad 2, I've never regretted buying one, unless you count regretting it because now I cannot do without it! :rolleyes: It's perfect for Internet, email, photos, music, video, and then there's the app store, with all of the amazing apps and games. And the apps/games aren't just an add-on, they are a part of owning an iPad and the quality of most of them is brilliant. Fantastic games, genuinely useful and powerful apps for music creation, photo editing, drawing etc. BUY ONE! :smashin:

Nanor

I took the plunge, ordered it yesterday on the apple store and it arrived today. Gotta be disciplined to keep it until Christmas! :D

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Just wrap it up as soon as you can and it will help you forget about it :p

marcstang

Hands down best piece of Tech I ever bought. I was one of the doubters initially but now use it every day. I do travel a lot for work so it is handy be able to check emails and use the internet, in addition to to carry films, books, music in one easily stowable gadget. It's also nice for around the house to stream music or brouse the internet whilst sitting on the sofa without booting up the laptop.

poppitypop

I took the plunge, ordered it yesterday on the apple store and it arrived today. Gotta be disciplined to keep it until Christmas! :D

Don't bother waiting until Christmas. Tell yourself it needs to be tested for any faults so you can get it back to Apple asap. I reckon the fault testing will take you oohh about 9 days :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
poppitypop said:
Don't bother waiting until Christmas. Tell yourself it needs to be tested for any faults so you can get it back to Apple asap. I reckon the fault testing will take you oohh about 9 days :)

+1

Exactly, It would be irresponsible not to ;)

I love my ipad. Once you have one you never want to surf the net on the sofa without one! So many cool apps! I am a complete apple junkie and swear by them. I actually prefer the feel of the original ipad. Just feels better in the hand.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I always upgrade on day 1 of all the iPhone releases...but dont feel that way with the iPad. Still using the 1st Gen 64GB model since day 1 and it rocks. Such an example of a perfectly polished release day product!

If they released the 1st Gen now it still blows away the competition!

iPad Junkie

Standard Member
i think you'd better wait 'till march/april (not so much time left) and choose one of 3 you'd like better. besides, they'll reduce ipad 2 price i guess:thumbsup:

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Ive always said I would never buy one as I feel they are over priced. As luck would have it my GF got me one for Christmas. Compared to my IP4 the screen is not as sharp, and I don't feel there are enough iPad versions of the apps I use every day on my phone.

I am very happy with it though, and haven't booted up my PC since I got it. So for me it's worth it. It wont/can't replace my PC but it's definitely something ill use more than any other device I own.

My thinking is if it's going to do what i want it to do then its worth it. After looking at all the other tablets out there I feel nothing comes close to doing what I want than the iPad. A big part of that is down to having a iPhone 4 though and already being used to working with IOS.

tvmcp

Been tinkering with mine since Christmas day, always avoided Apple before, but have to say I love it.
Easy to use, great display, and loading music and films etc... is easy via iTunes.
I've been converting my BluRays to iPad format, quality is outstanding.
I downloaded the Galaga 30th Anniversary edition game (free app) and that has provided hours of fun, I used to play it years ago on the pub sit down tables.
£400 plus is a lot of money, but prices of electronics has seriously dropped in relation to what was paid years ago for PC ased items.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone