1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is an IEEE 1394 a video card or a port?!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by liane, Apr 17, 2005.

1. liane

liane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following!

To transfer camcorder recordings to my PC I need...

- a firewire cable
    - an IEEE 1394 fitted into my PC

The firewire connects the camera to the IEEE 1394, which in turn is connected to the PC.

Assuming at present I have no graphics card in my PC, do I need any additional hardware, or is the above enough?

Does a firewire connect to the "DV out" port on a camcorder?

How do I know whether I need a 4-pin or 6-pin firewire?

I'm confused about what an "IEEE 1394" actually *is*! Is it external or internal? As I have an oldish PC, do I need to get a PCI and fit the IEEE 1934 to that?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IEEE1394 is actually a specification which covers the transfer of data ( not just video) between two pieces of equipment - it specifies the protocol to be used and the connectors which are used on various pieces of equipment.

It is also known as "Firewire" and Sony call it "i-link" but it is just the same.

If you have "Firewire" (IEEE1394, i-link, DV-port) on your PC then you do not need any other hardware inside your PC all you need is a 'Firewire' cable to connect your camcorder to your PC - if you do not have a firewire port on your PC you can buy a PCI card complete with cable for between £10 and £15 - they are very easy to fit - but do not work with Windows 98 - anything after that should be OK - - you will though need some software on your PC to manage the transfer - such as Windows MovieMaker or Pinnacle Studio or Ulead VideoStudio - the Firewire card is in effect your capture card and you do not need anything else unless you are needing to capture analogue video..

Almost universally the DV port on Camcorders is a 4 pin connector and usually the connector on a PC is 6 pin so you will need a standard 6pin to 4pin Firewire - these are available almost everywhere, on a laptop the connector is *usually* 4pin so in that case you would have a 4pin to 4pin cable also widely available.

3. liane

liane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you!!! :thumbsup:

I don't have firewire on my PC at present, as my machine is ancient (despite upgrades).

I found this on an electrical supplies company website:

Firewire (IEEE 1394) PCI Card
    - Add Firewire to your PC - Provides three Firewire ports - Enjoy data transfer rates of up to 480Mbps

Am I looking along the right lines? I'll try to find one with 4/6-pin cable included. There seem to be about a million choices, but they all do roughly the same thing, right?

I have Windows XP with MovieMaker, so should be okay from there.

It is actually analogue video that I'm hoping to capture (!!!), but I've figured I need to attach my analogue (Hi8) camcorder to a digital one or play the tapes on a Digital8.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help :) - I was finding reading other threads and FAQs difficult because there are so many gaps in my knowledge.

4. GWizard

GWizard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liane

Try www.ebuyer.com for your firewire card they are resonably priced should be able to get your cable here to.

Bye :clap:

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep your on the right lines - there are quite a lot of options for cards around which include the cable - all firewire cards *should* all be OHCI compliant - providing they are it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

you are also right in that the best way to capture analogue video is to convert it to digital either using a DV cam with 'pass-through' or using a Digital8 camera