1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is an HT1000 still a reasonable buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KraGorn, Nov 18, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My needs are for DVD playback, no interest at all in HDTV and HD-DVD is way off as far as I can see, occasional use for NTL and VCR (!) maybe.

So, I want something to give an excellent picture on NTSC and PAL DVDs, driven by an HTPC using TheaterTek mostly but with the option of a PS player later .. though the on-board processing of the 1000 seems pretty reasonable.

There are several candidates for me and I hesitate about a 4:3 machine, but since it'll do PAL 576 resolution that doesn't seem to be an issue, and the 1000 rarely gets a negative comment.

Be nice if it were a little cheaper, but I can about stretch to it. I thought about the Optoma H56 but most comparative comments prefer the NEC.

So, not looking for adice on one vs. the other, just at around 3K is it still a reasonable buy considering immediately-to-be-available machines .. not interested in the Z2 or HS20 given the problems being reported on AVS from early deliveries.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I've recently seen a few large size proffessionaly set up CRTs, and they produced a beautiful creamy image. I have to say that IMHO, the HT1000 isn't far behind in the quality stakes at any level as a comparison, especialy when using an HTPC. It even does a great job with Hi Def, and that makes DVD look petty mediocre as a comparison.

Also, having seen various scalers in action at the same time, I can also say that the Faroudja DCDi does a pretty good job, and that HTPC is as good as the more expensive scalers.

The HT1000 has a very smooth and detailed image using PowerDVD XP or 5, and TT has a slight edge, so you will be very pleased with either combo.

Feed it component from something like a Panasonic S75 or Pioneer 656 and again you'll get a very smooth image (provided the sharpness is reduced down to 5 or less) that looks very detailed, though not quite as good as the HTPC. Progressive is slightly better in detail than interlaced of course.

I also found that there's not much difference between DVI and VGA from the Radeon when fed into the HT1000, plus you get to keep more adjustments with VGA, so you needn't go DVI if you have an adequate VGA cable.

HTH

Gary.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for those comments Gary, your positive comparison to CRTs is very helpful as are the DVD player suggestions.

Oh well, time to take the smile off the piggy bank's face I guess. :devil:

4. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You might want to consider either the Sim2 Domino or the Infocus 5700 in the same price band. Both are 16:9 Matterhorn chip PJ, and both give great pictures.
    The Infocus gives brighter pictures at the expense of higher contrast. The blacks aren't quite as black, but are still pretty stunning IMO.
    The Sim is closer to the HT1000, with great smooth images. There is an extensive comparison of these two on avsforum.com, including dozens of screenshots.
    I went for the Infocus, as I do not have a dedicated HT with light control, and the extra brightness enables me to watch sport during the day!!

Whichever you choose, you are unlikley to be disappointed as all are great PJs

Good Luck

Peter

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I thought those were a lot more expensive, a quick check on Google shows a few sellers asking 3750+VAT for the Sim2 whereas the 1000 is available (as advertised as least) from Ivojo for 3K incl.

Found one seller for the Infocus, 3K from Audio Venue, doesn't say if it's + or - VAT.

Edit: well after a lot of Googling it appears the 5700 is as rare as hen's teeth, haven't found a single on-line seller listing it and only that one high-street strore mentioning it on their website.

6. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I got my 5700 from Sevenoaks in Cambridge for £3000 on interest free credit. I'm not sure if they have branches near you.
    Good Luck!!
    BTW I also had the Optoma H56 on home loan, but it didn't excite me the way the Infocus did!

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Oddly Sevenoaks can't have it on their site, or else Google doesn't crawl there .. there's one in Manchester but it's a pain to get to and park at round there in my experience. :(

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Peter how noisy is the 5700?

I'm finding this to be a key criteria on my next PJ...

Cheers
    Marc

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
  10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think if I were wanting to spend that much I'd probably go for the XV-Z9000s from NexNix, I think they're probably superior to the Sim.

11. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Marc
    I don't find the Infocus to be noisy, but have seen some threads on AVSForum which suggest some examples are prone to high pitched color wheel whistle.
    I used to have a panasonic PTAE100, and this was a little noisier, and a lot hotter than the INfocus