Is an HD PVR okay for a non-HD TV?

Rebecca

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question, but having spent 3 years with only 4 and a half channels (channel 5 was 'the half' - terrible reception), and the last year with no TV at all, i'm really in the dark ages.

I've now got a proper aerial and want to buy a PVR. However, my TV is not HD - would that be an issue if I bought an HD PVR? It may be worth the extra in case I buy an HD TV in the future.

(I'm looking to get the Humax PVR-9300T or Humax HDR-FOX T2, as Humax seem to get consistently good feedback).

Thanks in advance...

Rebecca

The 9300 isn't a HD pvr, it's a SD one that happens to upscale so has a hdmi output. All HD TV's do this anyway.

The HDR-FOX-T2 is a genuine HD box and can view/record the Freeview-HD channels. It has a scart socket that outputs HD downscaled to SD (576i) so will work with any TV with a scart socket. If the TV has a RGB capable scart the picture from the HD channels should be better than the equivalent SD one thanks to the additional data transmitted.

This is probably a really stupid question, but having spent 3 years with only 4 and a half channels (channel 5 was 'the half' - terrible reception), and the last year with no TV at all, i'm really in the dark ages.

I've now got a proper aerial and want to buy a PVR. However, my TV is not HD - would that be an issue if I bought an HD PVR? It may be worth the extra in case I buy an HD TV in the future.

(I'm looking to get the Humax PVR-9300T or Humax HDR-FOX T2, as Humax seem to get consistently good feedback).

Thanks in advance...

Rebecca

Hi

As long as you have a SCART on your TV then you should be OK with almost any FreeviewHD PVR (the Sony only has Phono for composite output). You are covered for if/when you update to an HD TV.

The 500GB HD DigitalStream DHR8293U is £199 from John Lewis with their 2 year guarantee, great customer service, no quible returns policy and free delivery.

You can get the 320GB HD DHR8203U from about £170 on Amazon.

The Humax HDR T2 is from £250 and John Lewis sells at £279 but will price match.

Pete

Graham and Petrev,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me - it's much appreciated.

I've just ordered the Humax HDR Fox T2 from Richer Sounds - great service from them.

Thanks again,

Rebecca

Graham and Petrev,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me - it's much appreciated.

I've just ordered the Humax HDR Fox T2 from Richer Sounds - great service from them.

Thanks again,

Rebecca

:smashin:

Good choice. If you can connect it to your home network it has Internet Radio and Video On Demand services built in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom