Is an extended warranty on a TV worth the money???

V

vidkid

I have never been keen on them, especially for cheapo stuff like budget DVD players and cheapo CD players. I have always viewed extended warranties with extreme suspicion; generally as a way of Comet employees increasing their bonus.

("Would you like an extended warranty on that DVD player sir?" "No thankyou, when it breaks down I will throw it away and buy a new one")

However, I am about to buy a new widescreen tv and for once I am tempted.

Anyone have any thoughts, or better still, experiences???

Many thanks!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes i would definitely extend the warrany.Todays sets are in my opinion not as robust and well engineered as in previous years.

In legal terms extended warranties are a waste of money as you should be adequately protected by you statutory consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act. However, the difference lies in whether you'd be prepared to take the manufacturer to a small claims court if they refuse to repair/replace after the standard 12 mths warranty is over. If nothing else extended warranties at least make it easier to get a repair done.

Check out John Lewis as tv's there include a 5 year garantee as standard

Also, with the JL warranty it's transferrable to a buyer - so it could well be a major selling point three years down the line to sell your TV that still carries two years worth of warranty. :thumbsup:

And JL will price match to local stores - the JL shops will - online they won't.

In my personal opinion, I really think extended warranties on televisions, especially CRT ones are a complete and utter waste of money.

I have recently bought a new Sony CS70 and the Sony shop I purchased my tv actually put me off buying the extended warranty!

Basically, extended warranties are expensive on this type of home entertainment. If a television is going to go wrong, it will usually be wrong at the start, or within the first few months, when you will easily notice imperfections as you study carefully your nice new tv(!) - in which case it's covered by the automatic 1 year guarantee. Other than that, unless you are unlucky (and ok, I expect people will jump on me now saying that this isn't true!!) but unless you are unlucky, tv sets usually last the remaining 4 years that a warranty will usually run for. Even if a fault does develop, it might only be something like on/off switch or something that you could call an engineer out to who would be a lot cheaper than a warranty.

I guess I have been fairly lucky in the past hence this point of view. Obviously people out there who have had nothing but problems will say I am talking nonsense - and I do respect this point of view if you've had problems - but I for one will not buy a warranty at the moment.

Remember: you can always take out a yearly plan with Domestic & General online which is quite often a bit cheaper if you really want to go down the warranty route.

Oh - and one final piece of advice - Please please - Don't get a "Mastercare" warranty from Curry's - in fact - don't buy from Curry's full stop - nothing but trouble - and if you ever need to call them out under the warranty - then heaven help you !!! (Based again, as you can guess on 2 x bad experiences with a Mastercare warranty - and on numerous websites detailing their failings!!!)

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi
It does very much depend on the terms and conditions of the warranty(which you will not know).
If your TV does go faulty within the warranty, are there any call out charges(these can be £30-£80), if you have anything which you do not understand/or think is faulty will you get support.
Nigel

Like any insurance, it's all down to whether you're prepared to pay for peace of mind. :lesson:

The GENERAL trend with electronic equipment is the "Bath-Tub" curve.

That is, a steep line to begin with on a graph showing faults against time.

This is followed by a flat section during most of the life of the equipment, then a steep line again as the gear reaches the end of its useful life.

If all equipment followed this trend then there would, indeed, be no need for extended warranties.

However, in real life ANYTHING can go wrong at ANYTIME!

So that's where the "peace-of-mind" bit enters the equation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom