1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is an audiophile soundcard worth it for HTPC?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Rob, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Guys,

Seems I'm not the only one having problems with soundcards! After 2 soundblasters failed on me, I tried a Trust digital surround 5.1 which worked fine first time. Trouble is that the sound quality is not up to my dedicated player, and I'm wondering if a better card would make much of a difference. (only used for movies).

On previous posts it has been said that any card with sp/dif out is fine. I'm interested what other people have found and are using. Am I expecting too much in thinking a PC will sound as good as a reasonable dedicated player?

Cheers Rob.

2. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rob
    I used to use a SB live 5.1 and changed it for a M-Audio 24/96, and there is an unmistakeable improvement in audio quality.
    This subject has been discussed to death on the avsforum and the concensus, is that an audiophile card is definately the way to go.

Ken

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Ken,

Haven't been on AVS for a while. I know when I first put together my PC, the soundblaster was the card everybody was using. Think I'll try the M audio 24/96. Hopefully will improve things quite a bit.

Regards Rob.