Is an amp absolutely necessary for this setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JasJ, Nov 3, 2003.

1. JasJ

JasJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbee Alert !

I have just bought a Toshiba SD330e DVD player and a Panasonic TV and are considering buying speakers to go with them.

I have gathered that the Mission Cinema m72's are of good quality but I do not know about setting this system up.

Can the speakers be run directly from the Toshiba (at least for the time being) or do I have to use an amp from day one?

I am on a bit of a budget so want to build things up gradually if possible.

Cheers,

JasJ.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, an amp or receiver is necessary. DVD players only pass a line-level signal. This needs amplification before going to any speakers.

:smoke:

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    It would be better to buy the amp first. Then you could use what ever speakers you have for now and get the missions later,thats what i did.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    You can go two ways:-

1) Buy an av amp and connect all your audio sources to it (dvdp, cdp, TV, satellite ect). The speakers connect to the amp and away you go.
    2) Buy a life style system (without a dvd player included). These have an amp built in (usually in the bass box) so no need for an extra box. The speakers plug in the bass box and away you go.

It's usually better to go the seperates route for better sound and upgradeability (option 1). The M72 5.1 speaker package is an excellent budget package imo and hard to beat for the price (around £270 the last time I looked) that's the first package I had going the sperates route.
    A suitable amp I would suggest to go with that would be one of these:-

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301476

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1292

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1258

I don't know your budget unfortunately but any of these woul do justice to any budget to mid speaker package you had in mind.

good hunting.

5. NinjaBrewCommando

NinjaBrewCommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JasJ,

I am also a bit new at this game, but have found this forum an invaluable resource.

Like you, I was concerned about budget, as I wasn't sure how far I'd want to commit. I ended up, after a lot of research, going to Richer sounds and getting a bargain on a Marantz SR4300 (to go with a DV4200ose that I got for £180). I paid £199 earlier this year for the SR4300, but I don't know if they would have any left, and they only did black I seem to remember. It would be worth calling them to see if there's any stray stock around. Richer Sounds is a good place to go for a bargain if you already know what you want. I would definitely advocate using this forum for your research.

I am more than pleased with the performance of the amp, even in stereo.

Like bob1 mentions how he started out, I am doing the same by using existing speakers with the new amp, but am now planning upgrading to a 6.1 package. Doing it this way has helped to convince me to really sort out my budget and build up my system sensibly so I can easily upgade it when I want to.

The advice given already in this thread is sound. What I like about this forum is that you hardly ever see any condescending replies to begineer questions and people are very willing to help out with newbie advice. I've learned a lot.

Good luck on finding a bargain and most of all, enjoy the process - loiking around at all that new gear is half the fun :smashin:

6. JasJ

JasJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big thanks to Kramer, bob1, Hawklord and NinjaBrewCommando for their speedy response and recommendations.

For now I'll fight off the urge to make do and hold on a while for a complete system I really want.

Besides, Christmas is coming !

Off now to sweeten up the wife and try to stretch that budget (do we really need that new cooker?).

Cheers,

JasJ.