Is Ambilight Anygood? anyone got some pictures?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Spinstorm, Dec 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Spinstorm

Spinstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Im interested in finding out about Philips Ambilight system...

I have read all the propaganda on the Philips sight but I would love to know from anyone who has a TV with it what its like? does it work? is it better than Plasmas/LCDs without it?

And does anyone have photos or videos of it so I can see what it looks like in action for real in a proper living room? Thanks!

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    My friend had it wall hung Philips 32" ambilight against his white backdrop wall, switched ambi-light on and YUK!, unless you have a perfect plastered wall and I mean laser flat it will show every blemish going, god it looked a mess, surfice to say he never switches it on. In principle it looks great and I can not knock it, but in real life it that wall thing.

3. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    personally i just dont get the point of it, its almost a gimmick IMHO.. but maybe Im missing something ?

4. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    One man's gimmick is another man's essential:)
    I love ambilight on my 9830. It's on a stand, not on the wall and if used correctly (i.e. not left at the full on factory setting) creates exactly what it calls itself, an 'Ambi(ent)light' effect which I wouldn't be without. The colours change softly reflecting whatever is the predominant colour on the screen, or you can set your own pallet.
    Both SWMBO and I always use it and would miss it terribly if our next set does not have something similar.

5. Spinstorm

Spinstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Do you have any photos of it? What about that new TV which has a "canvas" around it? anyone have that?

6. debefc

debefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we got 42" lcd full ambilight and i gotta say i would'nt be without it,ok so during the day its not used but, at night it really does enhance whatever your watching. so no. its not just a gimmick. will get some pics on shortly

7. madman1178

madman1178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i saw this years ago at a philips roadshow....and imhu it is a complete and utter waste of time and really got on my nerves.

I found myself subconsciously watching the light and watching the screen using my peripheral vision or vice versa which made my eyes hurt.

I would say its just a gimmick and i certainly wouldnt pay a premium for it when buying a new tv.

8. rogerft

rogerft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Its an expensive option that is just somthing else to go wrong, not so attractive when you are paying TV repair rates to have a light fitting replaced!
    Given that it relies on reflection from a rear wall or an inbuilt surround and to be effective must be within your peripheral vision I think the money would be better spent on a bigger screen and some soft ambient lighting.

9. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I find it adds significantly to the viewing experience when watching TV at night. The subtle lighting changes make viewing a more relaxing experience and help enhance percieved black levels. The TV also doesn't need to be flat against a wall, as a couple of posters have incorrectly stated. Mine is in the corner of the lounge, a couple of feet away from any walls but the ambilight is still effective.

It won't change your life but ambilight does do what it says on the tin and is a nice to have.

10. Dapper_C

Dapper_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had my Philips 42PF9831D for a couple of weeks now and I think it's absolutely brilliant. Perfect pictures and sound to boot, and as for the Ambilight.......well that's something else. Personally, I think it does add to the viewing pleasure and is in no way a gimmick.
    Others might disagree but everyone's entitled to their opinion. However, in my opinion, you could do a lot worse than get a stunning TV with Ambilight :smashin:

Here's some random pics that I've recently taken demonstrating the Ambilight in full effect......:)

NOTE:
    I've had reduce the picture quality of these pics on my camera in order to upload them as they were originally too large.

Attached Files:

11. k18dan

k18dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the cheapest philips with ambilight??

12. rusty mechanic

rusty mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hi mate
    i've at last got currys to exchange my 3rd dodgy LG 32lx2r lcd tv and have gone for the philips pf9641d with twin ambilight. it's £1199 instore but only £999 on the currys website, so they price matched themselves which gave me a straight swap with nothing extra to pay:thumbsup: when i went to currys this afternoon, this tv was set up with sky hd showing the chelsea v reading match and there was quite a crowd gathered. whether it was for the tv or the match i'm not sure but the picture was stunning.
    anyway, the tv arrives on friday so i'll let you know what it's like and how the ambilight performs.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Ambilight is a totall gimmick and a poor one ask any video professional what efefect ambient light has on PQ and they will tell you the same (negative) what ambilight does do is draw your attention away from the shocking quality of the picture on the screen tho (clever philips)

14. JFPF

JFPF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragons comments are quite laughable. Read any review/ magazine website e.g cnet/trusted reviews etc and the picture quality of many philips sets is being raved about.

Gimmicky as it sounds ambilight is designed to make the viewing experience more immersive and relaxing. the fact that it looks cool is a bonus. Does it work i guess its each to their own although can point out that brother in law having seen mine in action has ordered one today in preference to the Pioneer 427XD he intended to buy and neighbour also ordering having spent christmas eve with us.

In both cases they ordered because they were amazed with the picture quality with and without ambilight on but in each case said their viewing was even more enhanced with it on.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    would that be the same cnet that said a certain model was 1080p capable when the manufacturer clearly states it isnt...........trust me the 427 isnt anything special but it least it can attempt black............something LCD cant abilight just masks this by making sure you cant have a reference

16. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,236
    What HiFi gave the Philips 37PF9830 4 out of 5. "This TV displays high-def images in 1080p: and the results are stunning!"

They thought the tuner was mediocre.

The ambilight is meant to reduce eye strain.

17. JFPF

JFPF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "but it least it can attempt black............something LCD cant"

So what you actually saying is that you believe plasma is better than LCD but Ambilight makes LCD more acceptable!!!

18. djjuk

djjuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I take it ambilight is that surrounding glow? Have not seen it in the flesh tbf, but going from those pictures it would drive me mad.

19. skijumptoes

skijumptoes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my personal experience the pixel perfect technology gives the philips cineo's their wow factor, was comparing a load of LCD's in store and enabling/disabling this feature makes an amazing difference in overall pictu quality and smoothness.

20. Spinstorm

Spinstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the pics - to be honest I like sitting and watching TV in low light conditions and it does strain your eyes - so ambilight would solve that problem and it does look cool!

If Philips bring down the prices I am sure they would sell more of them - and maybe with their Ambx range coming out soon we will be able to buy the light fittings for any TV - as they are doing with PCs when it comes out early next year!

21. Dapper_C

Dapper_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Each to their own I suppose......

You do get the option to change the mode settings for the ambilight. I had mine set to Dynamic to demonstrate the full effect but it doesn't have to be this prominent.

22. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Originally Philips only did ambilight on the sides of the tv.

I bought a 37".9986.

Originally is was wall mounted on the provided bracket-thus the ambilight was only 4inches off the wall. Nothing to shout about, whatever setting you had it on.

I then mounted the set on a Vogel bracket.
    The right hand side of the set was 4inches from the wall- the left was 18inces of the wall.
    Effect on one side-waste of time on the other.

I then noticed on display models in shops Philips had white luminescent plastic wings atteched to the side of the sets-looked better and wouls have given me the facility on both sides.

They refused to sell me a set.

They now have introced four sided ambilight but if the set is not mounted against a flat wall- waste of time.

NJ

23. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
  24. benlonguk

benlonguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since getting a 9830 in November 2005 there is hardly a night that ambilight is not switched on. I dropped the brightness down a shade and the glow on the wall behind it is stunning. Certainly adds to the experience and makes viewing the TV almost like going to a cinema or even better the theatre.

You don't even have to mount it on the wall, mine is on a stand with the rear more than a foot from the wall and it still looks amazing.

The wall behind is not even white, the colour is strong enough not to need white.

I wouldn't dream of changing back to an LCD without ambilight.

25. redskins

redskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" Philips with Full surround Ambilight and it definately enhances the viewing experience. Yes it is a bit gimmicky, it is not much use during the day in a bright room, and yes the philips ambilight Tv's are expensive. But once you start watching Ambilight in the correct lighting conditions it is amazing, once you get used to it, it is hard to watch the Tv with it switched off.
    Yes It is all down to personal taste, but it would be interesting to find out how many people slagging it off actually have a philips Tv with Ambilight.
    Forgetting price, and it's made by Philips (not everyones favorite), does it actually work. YES

26. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,236

Not quite the same. Ambilight changes colour to react to what's on the screen.

27. Dapper_C

Dapper_C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not true.

With the four sided ambilight TV, the white bezel surround is there for the lights to reflect onto. This design meant that even if the TV was not wall mounted, the effect could still be achieved when mounted on a stand away from the wall.

Although, IMHO it does look much better when it is wall mounted.

28. be@ker

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As with everything this is a matter of opinion - full stop, you will never get everyone to agree.

I have the 3 light 37" and I love it, bought after I watched a few episodes of Lost a year or so ago on a friends early model. Had mine for a few months now and love it, I find it adds to the experience and puts less strain on the eyes, I certainly don't find it distracting.

Oh and mine is int he corner of my lounge on a stand and I get a great light experience.

Just my opinion.

Merry Christmas all.

29. slinkytrips

slinkytrips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To truely understand the Ambilight you need a dark room and an action movie. When an explosion occurs the room lights up orange, flashing police lights are effecting the lighting in the room. It is a very similar effect to a theatre projection in a dark room where the content on screen effects the lighting colours in the room.