Question Is Amazon buffering tonight, or is it Virginmedia?

jeallen01

Evening all

We're on Virgin Vivid 100 via FTC from the Brentford hub, coax to the house router and then cable Ethernet to the ROKU 2 box feeding the AV amp and thus to the TV.

Don't usually have any buffering issues, but tonight we are getting continuous and repetitive 1-2s audio dropouts, although the video is not buffering and is fine - been going on for 2+ hrs on 2 different films.

Anyone else seeing the same issue, and/or any thoughts on the cause?

Thanks in advance.

jeallen01

Update: now watching StarTrek Discovery on Netflix - still buffering but now about 3-4x as long between audio dropouts and so about 30s between them.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I’m on the Virgin 350 service. I did notice today that the Roku SS+, via WiFi, took about a minute to get up to full UHD resolution watching Hanna on Amazon Prime. It was almost immediate on Friday night, the last time I watched.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Try restarting the Roku and perhaps the VM router. What about normal computer use? Everything OK there? Speedtest checks out OK? I’ve occasionally seen playback issues on my Amazon Fire box, where playback starts in SD rather than HD. Restarting the streaming has cleared that. I also get the Netflix 112 error from time to time, but otherwise, outages aside, my VM200 service seems OK.

Clem

jeallen01

Good afternoon, and sorry that I have not responded earlier.

Thank you all for your inputs - and there are a couple of things that I will now have to try as, TBH, I haven't used any of the streaming services since last Friday.

Couple of points though:
- the mains supply to the ROKU (and, in fact, most of the AV rack except the Amp & TV) is externally switched OFF for most of the time (to save energy), and so it get's a reboot every time I use it.
- Same with the mains supply to the router (and most of the other network/NAS -related kit) which is typically switched OFF overnight and so that gets a reboot at least once a day

As I said in post #1, we have FTTC and then coax to the house & the router, so we have a fixed IP address and that's not negotiated each time the router boots up, and the main down/up speeds have been pretty steady at 100-105Mbs/5-6Mbs for the last few months
- that's basically what caused me to start this thread because the effects being seen were pretty unusual, and I would have thought the video would have buffered before the audio but it was the other way around last Friday!

Anyway, I will report again on the current situation today/tomorrow!

jeallen01

Have now just checked Amazon ("The Expanse") and Netflix ("Discovery"), i.e. the same programmes as before, and NO issues - especially no audio buffering dropouts!

No changes to the h/w system, so GAWD knows what was wrong last Friday:mad:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Some sort of network congestion, perhaps. These things happen from time to time. Technology is guaranteed to let you down whenever you want to use it, or have to rely on it for any reason.

Clem

jeallen01

Some sort of network congestion, perhaps. These things happen from time to time. Technology is guaranteed to let you down whenever you want to use it, or have to rely on it for any reason.

Clem
Ever thus was/is/will be the case!:censored:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom